• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I only drink two cups of coffee a day. First is via my Keurig, which brews terrible coffee but when I first wake up I don't want to mess around and it's fast. I turn it on and feed my cats and when I'm done it's ready to brew. A couple hours later I'll fresh grind some beans, normally Peet's and brew 260ml in my aeropress. Nice and easy and I prefer my coffee paper filtered to reduce oils and sediment.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    <--- not a coffee snob
    If it's hot,black and less than 5 or so hrs old I'll usually drink it
    Coffee snob. I drink somewhere between 1 to 2 pots a day, if I only finish half of the second pot I'll finish it off the next morning.

Yes, very good point. I suppose I was assuming opening/closing the package. Much less concern if starting with an unopened package with no ambient moisture having gotten into it.

But then, why buy it only to freeze it? Just buy it as-needed, especially if you're getting it freshly roasted.
    My mom's favorite was dunkin doughnut, when she moved there wasn't one within an hrs drive. So she would buy 4-5 bags which they would grind from whole beans and throw them in the freezer and take them out as needed.

I've brewed a lot of different ways.
    I like having some "power out" options as REMC is better at making excuses than getting me consistent power these days. :soapbox: They have ONE JOB. :xmad:
    I have percolators and Cuban espresso pots, pour overs and french presses. Even a specialty cold brewer/decanter.

- Fresh brewed coffee goes right into a thermal mug and thermos, for drinking throughout the day or even (OMG!!!) reheating tomorrow. ***No waste here.***

Used to have all of those prior to a fire. Now I'm down to just a French press, 12 cup drip and a keurig. The one I miss the most is an antique vacuum coffee pot.

Smart putting it into a thermos, one of the worst things you can do is leave it on a warming plate.

And just a FYI, that Cuban pot is most likely a moka pot and is actually Italian in origin.

My usual goto coffee is whatever is on sale. Rural king used to have folgers cheap on black friday and we'd get a dz or two cans. This last they had hills bros high yield, only got a couple to try. It says higher caffeine, and they aren't lying.

When I want a decent cup, I use a cheap conical burr grinder I picked up at bailies and a French press. With whatever beans I see that sound/look good.

Best coffee I've probably ever had was my aunt's egg coffee. Not Vietnam egg coffee. You bring the water to a boil in a pot on the stove, mix the coffee grounds with some cold water, and an egg. Shell optional but she always put it in. When the water comes to a boil pour the grounds mix in, simmer for a couple of minutes, then take it off the stove. Pour some cold water over the top and let it sit. The grounds and egg mix will sink to the bottom and then you strain it.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    For espresso we use a Breville barista express with whatever local beans I find that sound good.

For coffee we use a variety of things, but I like the chemex with a baratza grinder and local beans. I try different beans all the time, I like variety.

But lately some Maxwell House dark silk or Colombian and a drip brewer is just fine

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    For espresso we use a Breville barista express with whatever local beans I find that sound good.

For coffee we use a variety of things, but I like the chemex with a baratza grinder and local beans. I try different beans all the time, I like variety.

But lately some Maxwell House dark silk or Colombian and a drip brewer is just fine

How do you like the Barista Express? I thought about getting one, but worried it wouldn't make good espresso due to the lower price point. A lot of channels that focus on coffee recommend spending closer to a grand for a good espresso maker and it's had me not even consider getting one.

That said, I've been enjoying cold brew lately. I grab Stok espresso strength and add a dollop of cream. Very tasty.

Talkinghalls

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2020
    NW Indiana
    Oh I’m a coffee snob, must be brewed a certain way, normally a 12 hour process.

Step 1: at 5 pm I put two scoops or whatever coffee grounds are cheapest/ darkest

Step two:utilizing a Mr. Coffee maker I bought for .25 cents at a garage sale two years ago, I turn the coffee maker on, and wait until the decanter is filled with fresh hot coffee.

Step three: (most important step) I turn off the coffee maker, and leave the pot in it.

Step four: I wake up at 5 am and enjoy a wonderful cup of bitter black coffee at room temperature.

Step five: the coffee is so bitter, and strong it makes my toe nails grow, and chest hair become thicker.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Oh I’m a coffee snob, must be brewed a certain way, normally a 12 hour process.

Step 1: at 5 pm I put two scoops or whatever coffee grounds are cheapest/ darkest

Step two:utilizing a Mr. Coffee maker I bought for .25 cents at a garage sale two years ago, I turn the coffee maker on, and wait until the decanter is filled with fresh hot coffee.

Step three: (most important step) I turn off the coffee maker, and leave the pot in it.

Step four: I wake up at 5 am and enjoy a wonderful cup of bitter black coffee at room temperature.

Step five: the coffee is so bitter, and strong it makes my toe nails grow, and chest hair become thicker.
    :wrongdoor:

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    How do you like the Barista Express? I thought about getting one, but worried it wouldn't make good espresso due to the lower price point.
    I impulse bought it on a Black Friday sale for around $420 a few years ago via amazon. I’ve seen the regular prices since and they’re around $6-700, so you speaking of low price made me lol

But anyway, we like it. Once you get the right grind for your beans it’s pretty effortless. Cleaning is simple. It’s easy to travel with, like bringing to family gatherings or events, and being able to plug in and make better-than-coffee-shop drinks for people is a real treat. We haven’t had any issues and the wife has used it near daily for these few years, so it definitely has paid for itself time & time again. I haven’t used a higher end machine to know if it makes a difference

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I impulse bought it on a Black Friday sale for around $420 a few years ago via amazon. I’ve seen the regular prices since and they’re around $6-700, so you speaking of low price made me lol

But anyway, we like it. Once you get the right grind for your beans it’s pretty effortless. Cleaning is simple. It’s easy to travel with, like bringing to family gatherings or events, and being able to plug in and make better-than-coffee-shop drinks for people is a real treat. We haven’t had any issues and the wife has used it near daily for these few years, so it definitely has paid for itself time & time again. I haven’t used a higher end machine to know if it makes a difference

Thanks. I'll have to watch for sales. I could do $400 - $500, but more than that I would pass on. One day I might pick one up, but I don't think it'll be anytime soon.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    In the morning I'll grind fresh beans with a cheap Amazon grinder and use an Aluminum French press for a few mugs. We used to have a nice glass one but it broke, so we use the camp press now.

We buy beans from a local roaster about 10 minutes from my house. They're not the best I've ever had, but definitely top 5. Buying fresh helps. We buy beans maybe 2-3x times a month and store in the pantry. Generally I like Central American beans at a medium roast, but there are some African varieties I also like.

In the afternoons I will usually have a small cold brew from the same roaster. If you like cold brew, this stuff is amazing. Can't do too much of this or I'll get jittery. I used to make my own cold brew concentrate but for the price this guy sells it I can't do it any cheaper.

I wouldn't call myself a snob, because I'll also drink speedway coffee happily. But at home or camping my wife and I decided a few years ago to just have nice coffee consistently. We have 3 younger boys, so we don't have more than a few "nice" things at our house anymore.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Cold brew is how I initially developed a taste for coffee. With a little sweetened condensed milk and a touch of hazelnut syrup, I think you have an amazing summertime drink. Making coffee ice cubes is the real secret to iced coffees

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    In the morning I'll grind fresh beans with a cheap Amazon grinder and use an Aluminum French press for a few mugs. We used to have a nice glass one but it broke, so we use the camp press now.

We buy beans from a local roaster about 10 minutes from my house. They're not the best I've ever had, but definitely top 5. Buying fresh helps. We buy beans maybe 2-3x times a month and store in the pantry. Generally I like Central American beans at a medium roast, but there are some African varieties I also like.

In the afternoons I will usually have a small cold brew from the same roaster. If you like cold brew, this stuff is amazing. Can't do too much of this or I'll get jittery. I used to make my own cold brew concentrate but for the price this guy sells it I can't do it any cheaper.

I wouldn't call myself a snob, because I'll also drink speedway coffee happily. But at home or camping my wife and I decided a few years ago to just have nice coffee consistently. We have 3 younger boys, so we don't have more than a few "nice" things at our house anymore.

What is the local roaster you buy from?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Petes dark roastright now, black silk, 1853? Another okay flavor.

My favorite, kopi luwak. Only had one brand, $100/lb. Hands down best I have had.

May have been the worst most disgusting brand out there but it was good.

Top Bottom