• ...and so much more!
  • Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I'm kind of a coffee snob at home because I spend sometimes 200 nights a year in hotels, drinking crap hotel coffee.
    Actually had very good coffee at a hotel a few years ago. Don’t remember the brand, but it was in a small donut filter, not a plastic Kuerig cup, that you put in the little plastic tray in the coffee machine. Very cheap looking but very tasty.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I know I’ve seen a lot of hotels with Green Mountain coffee in the rooms. It’s not bad, but I e also had some terrible ones too

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Actually had very good coffee at a hotel a few years ago. Don’t remember the brand, but it was in a small donut filter, not a plastic Kuerig cup, that you put in the little plastic tray in the coffee machine. Very cheap looking but very tasty.
    Marriott hasn't gotten on the Keurig train yet. I wish they would. At least that way, I could travel with some of my own K Cups (my go-to is Peet's Major Dickason's blend).

Edit: meant to quote @OneBadV8 . D'oh!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I just use whatever bottled water I'm drinking for my coffee. I have a cup of Keurig coffee first thing in the morning as I want caffeine as fast as possible. It's not good, but it is fast.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That explains nicley why I prefer light-medium roasts so much more than dark. Especially when brewed in a french press. There's no better way to get the "origin characteristics" than a press.

I like James, but honestly he sometimes goes into deep rabbit holes on detail. I like this video a lot.

As you said, it explains a lot. For me, it confirms what I've run into just lately, after many years of roasting my own beans. I've been using up some older, less desirable, beans and find them pretty comparable to my favored blend, when roasted pretty dark.

This also may save me some money, if it continues to play out. I haven't priced much just lately, but years past one could save up to ten bucks a pound using a lesser priced variety. Columbian vs Sumatran reflects this sort of difference.

:coffee:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Yeah, I’m kind of a coffee snob. I don’t mind paying a little more for great coffee.

There used to be a cheese shop nearby that hadZimbabwe for 15 bucks a pound. I enjoy Kenya AA and I’m addicted to Greenwell Farms special reserve pure Kona beans.

I should experiment more with less expensive, but I don’t want to be stuck with a whole pound of some thing I don’t like. I really should check out different coffee shops to try a cup of what they have.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I will sometimes grind my own beans if kroger has a good deal on them, but honestly, I prefer the dark roast kroger brand Kcups as well as any other. My kuerig has a selector button to change the brew, and I always set it to strong, and then put a couple dashes of heavy whipping cream in it.

I have a press that I mostly use in the winter, but I’ve not really messed with it enough to get a great cup of coffee out of it.

I also have an espresso machine that, once again, I mainly use during the winter. I really like it, and sometimes I’ll make a cup of espresso and a cup of regular coffee and mix them together. That’s about the best coffee I have done here at home.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I buy whole beans from Black Rifle and grind a week's worth at a time with my Baratza conical burr grinder. I brew 1 or 2 cups at a time with my Chemex brewer. Even lower tech than a French press, but superior coffee and way easier to clean. imo.
    Screenshot_20230819_161054_DuckDuckGo.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've brewed a lot of different ways.
    I like having some "power out" options as REMC is better at making excuses than getting me consistent power these days. :soapbox: They have ONE JOB. :xmad:
    I have percolators and Cuban espresso pots, pour overs and french presses. Even a specialty cold brewer/decanter.

All are good, but I always come back to the convenience of the 12 cup drip coffee maker for daily java. Recent years, I've been using a Hamilton Beach BrewStation. I wouldn't say its better than the rest though, after some experience.

A few tips, from my usage...

- I like my coffee strong - Only 10ish cups water go into as many grounds as I can get into the filter, without brewing overflow.
    (Took years to learn this simple thing vs chasing another coffee maker that would brew to my liking. :facepalm:)
    - I grind as finely as can be gotten away with, without clogging/overflowing the filter
    - I prefer to drink the oils, rather than catch them in a paper filter. Stainless mico-filter for me, thanks.
    - Fresh brewed coffee goes right into a thermal mug and thermos, for drinking throughout the day or even (OMG!!!) reheating tomorrow. ***No waste here.***
    - It's not the end of the world to grind the day before and set up your pot for the next morning. I honestly cannot tell the difference in fresh ground and ground day before.

:coffee:

bashMOH

Hawaiian Pizza
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Daviess county
    I have a cheap electric kettle that I boil water in. Usually about 750ml to 2 Tbsp (heaping) of coffee. Water is county water through a refrigerator filter and grounds are normally whatever is cheapest. I really like 8 O'clock, but that's too rich for my blood.

Boil water, pour over paper filer into a mason jar, add 7 ice cubes (I'm a baby when it comes to hot stuff), enjoy.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I know I’ve seen a lot of hotels with Green Mountain coffee in the rooms. It’s not bad, but I e also had some terrible ones too
    Some of The Green Mountain Coffee you see is sold under the Name "Green Mountain Coffee"
    Green Mountain ain't that big.
    Like Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, It sell coffee from all over the world under the label
    Green Mountain Coffee Roasters.

Top Bottom