• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    While on vacation with the wife, I had a Tom Collins and was hooked immediately. Then I got home and remembered I'm pre-diabetic i.e. fat, so I started looking for a zero-carb solution. Over ice, I mix a shot of gin, 6oz of zero sugar lemonade and 3oz of Sprite Zero. I call it a Skinny Tom.

I'm having one now in fact, while the wife has her usual Amaretto sour.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Never was a big fancy cocktail or wine drinker. Mostly beer and whisky with an occasional mixed drink like rum and coke or jack and coke. My drinking days have long been over now.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    While on vacation with the wife, I had a Tom Collins and was hooked immediately. Then I got home and remembered I'm pre-diabetic i.e. fat, so I started looking for a zero-carb solution. Over ice, I mix a shot of gin, 6oz of zero sugar lemonade and 3oz of Sprite Zero. I call it a Skinny Tom.

I'm having one now in fact, while the wife has her usual Amaretto sour.
    When I was a kid, Dad always had Tom Collins mix and he would let me have that every once in awhile (the mix, not the cocktail). I hadn't thought of that in a LONG time.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Decided I'd do all new cocktails tonight to experiment. First of the night is a pretty big success.

Bee's Knees

22.5 - 30ml honey syrup
    22.5 - 30ml lemon juice
    60ml gin

Combine in shaking tin with ice and shake 20 seconds or so, double strain into a chilled coupe. Spritz fresh lemon peel over the top and drop into the drink. Very tasty and refreshing drink. Adult lemonade.

To make the honey syrup, boil water and add to equal parts honey and stir until the honey is combined. Allow to cool before using it in drinks. It'll stay good for a week or so I believe. I used around 120ml of each, mixing in a glass measuring cup so I can easily pour it into something to store.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Second cocktail of the evening is a French 75:

1/2 ounce simple syrup (or honey syrup)
    1/2 ounce lemon juice
    1 ounce gin

Shake in tin with ice and double strain into chilled champagne flute. Fill the rest of the glass with Champagne, Prosecco or another bubbly wine. Express lemon peel over the top of the drink and drop the peel into the glass. I used a dry prosecco and wish I'd either used a sweeter bubbly, like a spumante, or used double the amount of syrup. Not as good as the Bee's Knees, but not bad.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Last one of the night (probably) is the champagne cocktail:

Soak a sugar cube in angastora bitters, add to bottom of chilled champagne flute
    Add 1/2 to 3/4 ounce of cognac/brandy
    Fill the rest of the way with champagne or another bubbly wine
    express the oils of both lemon and orange over the top (or not, if you prefer)

Not bad. I'm not a huge champagne guy, but it's alright.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I'm not a huge champagne guy, but it's alright.
    I'm not either. We usually only drink one bottle each year for New Year's Eve, and even then we always buy Prosecco instead of champagne. This year we're enjoying our bottle a little more than normal because Meijer had it priced nicely on clearance. Nothing says "I'm a high roller" quite like a 98 cent bottle of bubbly for NYE!

20231231_190443.jpg

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    BTW, martinis are made with GIN! That is all... ;)
    We just had gin martinis tonight.

Was at a local bar with a youngster working as a bartender. I ordered a gin martini and her eyes glazed over and she started looking up on her phone how to make it.

I told her to pour some gin in a shaker, add ice, shake and pour in a glass. Thankfully her boss came and took over, even prechilled the glass before serving.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    We just had gin martinis tonight.

Was at a local bar with a youngster working as a bartender. I ordered a gin martini and her eyes glazed over and she started looking up on her phone how to make it.

I told her to pour some gin in a shaker, add ice, shake and pour in a glass. Thankfully her boss came and took over, even prechilled the glass before serving.

Nice. I'm a stir not shake martini guy, but to each their own :cheers:

Funny to hear about you stumping the youngster with it... :):

Top Bottom