• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    After having finished reading Alberino's book Birthright and having had time to ruminate over it, I much appreciate the way he pulled together his discussions on who and what we are.
    And now I'd better have another cup of coffee and build up a sufficient head of steam to make a spicy stir fry.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    I haven’t kept up with this thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned… Some of you may know I became a Catholic just over a year ago. I could write volumes about the profound and positive changes that have occurred in my life since then.

I know this is going to seem obvious and simplistic to many of you based on the depth of discussion here, however…

I hadn’t spent any time with the Bible since what we called “weekday religious education” classes back in grade school (try THAT in a public school today!). I recall a Christmas program or two back then, but no further serious consideration of religion for me until a couple of years ago, somewhere a bit beyond middle-aged.

I’ve been following a podcast, “Bible in a Year” by Fr. Mike Schmitz of Ascension (he’s popular on YouTube). It’s about 20 to 25 minutes per day, two or three chapters, a Psalm, and some explanatory commentary. I had no idea what an amazing gift the Bible is. Even if someone is skeptical or unwilling to approach it as the Word of God, it’s so fascinating. Insight into all aspects of life in the ancient world, and how relevant all of it is to today, is always interesting.

For those who do approach it as the Word of God, we learn rather quickly that God has revealed all the answers and there aren’t many new problems in the world. We’ve just lost our way and forgotten where the prevention and solutions have been clear to see all along.

The podcast is just great, I can’t recommend it enough!

Outstanding! Yes that guy is great - my wife introduced me to his media and it is engaging and accessible and intellectual all at the same time. It takes a special talent for that.

In case you haven't heard these, I highly suggest the interviews that Bishop Barron has had with Jordan Peterson; one took place when Peterson's wife was deathly ill. Very emotionally charged. There was another more recent though that was a lot more intellectual but again, very accessible even to knuckleheads like me. Check the "Word on Fire" podcast archive. I also highly suggest Peterson's rich Biblical lecture series. The amount of study and effort he puts into trying to understand the Bible results in something just incredibly thoughtful.

I think it's these here:

One of them
    Another one

Here's the first two of the Biblical Series - there are about 10 or so more.

1, 2

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    "Evangelical Non-denominational — Undercover Baptists."

Truth. I figured this out when the changed the name of my college from: "Grand Rapids Baptist College" to "Cornerstone College"...and there was a big church across the street formerly known as "Calvary Baptist" that was then known as "Calvary Undenominational".

Who are they kidding?
    Didn't they put out Our Daily Bread? That was the devotional my elementary teacher used.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Didn't they put out Our Daily Bread? That was the devotional my elementary teacher used.
    That is put out by Radio Bible Class of Grand Rapids. I think they just go by "Our Daily Bread Ministries" now. There was some connection at some point and I knew several people who worked there when I lived in GR.

Reactions: Leo

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    How many Cavelry Baptists here.

I know an awful lot of people think that horse soldiers, tanks and helicopters were hung from a tree.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Archbishop Vigano is shooting pretty straight.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    "Evangelical Non-denominational — Undercover Baptists."

Truth. I figured this out when the changed the name of my college from: "Grand Rapids Baptist College" to "Cornerstone College"...and there was a big church across the street formerly known as "Calvary Baptist" that was then known as "Calvary Undenominational".

Who are they kidding?
    We did the same thing when we moved.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The Lutherans just elected their first transgendered bishop.
    You've come a long way baby.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Lutherans just elected their first transgendered bishop.

2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

50 years ago we though this was pointing to a spread of atheism. Most did not see that it would be traditional, mainline denominations that "fell away" from the biblical teaching. Martin Luther had if figured out, Charles Wesley had it figured out and called it Methodism, Presbyterians had it figured out. Then one by one, bureaucrats in denominational offices started turning their backs on anything in the Bible that made them uncomfortable. "going to be more 'relevent' " they said. Now they are so compromised they don't stand for anything.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The liberal Lutherans just elected their first transgendered bishop.
    Fify.

Let's not lump Missouri Synod and others in with them.

In other news Greg Locke got banned from Twitter. :rockwoot:

I know I shouldn't care, but it's hard not to watch that wolf in sheep's clothing.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Judgment of fellow Christians isn't supposed to happen right? Yet the Bible says you will know them by their fruits. So is that some type of Judgment?
    The mark of Christian maturity is to judge for the purpose of restoration. In fact, the whole salvation through JESUS reality can be called restoration.
    There is a biblical process of church correction that can eventually lead to condemnation, (Matt 18:15-17) but that is a last resort and even that is hoped to be temporary. The goal is for correction and restoration.

Many verses describe the duty of a mature Spiritual man.
    Galatians 6:1 is pretty straight forward.

" Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted."

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

50 years ago we though this was pointing to a spread of atheism. Most did not see that it would be traditional, mainline denominations that "fell away" from the biblical teaching. Martin Luther had if figured out, Charles Wesley had it figured out and called it Methodism, Presbyterians had it figured out. Then one by one, bureaucrats in denominational offices started turning their backs on anything in the Bible that made them uncomfortable. "going to be more 'relevent' " they said. Now they are so compromised they don't stand for anything.
    Mainstream going worldly; how can we explain it other than infiltration and subversion from within?

There's never been a reason to think the Roman church alone was targeted.

Top Bottom