• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Are "religious exemptions" the new indulgences?
    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...ne-exemptions-in-exchange-for-becoming-online

How is the NOT being a money changer in the temple?
    Certainly, it is....but a church where you can be a "member" have never attended and never had a discussion about your beliefs or whether they have been baptized...then I looked up "Sheridan Church" and it all made sense:

From the "Who We Are" page:

"Most people are familiar with the name Sheridan Christian Center. It was one of the most famous churches at one point because of the names that came through it. Billy Joe Daugherty, Kenneth Copeland, and Kenneth Hagin Sr. "

"We are committed to accompanying people in the winding path of life toward a brighter future. Many people often struggle to find a safe space where people won’t criticize or judge them for a murky past. That is where we come in. Most places ask you to cover up your wounds to keep you from bleeding on others. At Sheridan, we show you our scars, so you know that you aren’t alone. Regardless of societal taboo or past experience, we seek to be a refuge for the weary. This is done through numerous community groups and opportunities to connect with similar people and become a family."

"Who We Are"- not a single mention of Jesus.

No link to a "statement of faith" or "what we believe".

The whole religious exemption vaccine thing bothers me a lot less than many other things.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever.”
    T.J.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone read Jesus and John Wayne: How White Evangelicals Corrupted a Faith and Fractured a Nation?

The Holy Post is doing a four part podcast discussion with author, and from the sounds of it, I really want to read it.
    Listened to it all on a trip last weekend.

It's interesting, that's for sure. It's written as a historical book, not just the author's thoughts; pretty good research.

It did make me look back and wonder about some of the leaders I was following.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever.”
    T.J.
    Me too. Fearing that we are on the precipice one of my more frequent prayers has been that He not give up on our country, our people. Sometimes I question my ability to know what I should pray for but know the better 2/3's is correct when she points to scripture for direction.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    905wnsvfmew71.jpg

Seems like the Babylon Bee - light-hearted lampooning of Christian culture is a thing of the past.

Stories about Calvinist drinking IPAs, and Baptist wearing disguises in liquor stores have been supplanted in the past two years with just a bunch of anti-liberal stories. I used to check-in daily, now the "own the libs" just doesn't seem that funny, or even Christian. I mean, should Christians really be saying, "Dur! Ur dumb and woke!" :dunno:

Democrats and liberals do a lot of dumb stuff, but come'on, it seems more propaganda now rather than sarcasm. There used to be a good mix, and it was smart. I like trenchant stories about liberalism gone amok, but now it's every single story, and every single way, and almost exclusively aimed one direction...

Am I wrong?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If we Christians are to model Christ, and we describe him as loving, humble, forgiving, then why do we come off as some of the biggest self-righteous, mean spirited, condemning people sometimes?

:dunno:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If we Christians are to model Christ, and we describe him as loving, humble, forgiving, then why do we come off as some of the biggest self-righteous, mean spirited, condemning people sometimes?

:dunno:
    Two reasons.

1) Sometimes we are.

2) Even when we're not, us trying to live by God's standards makes those who are not defensive and accusatory.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I was a drunk before I got Saved among many other vices. I do not imbibe and avoid Baccanal gatherings.

There was a company Christmas party one year which did not attend and almost got fired be cause some of the young guys that drank and smoked dope (even during work sometimes) complained that I was disparaging them.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I was a drunk before I got Saved among many other vices. I do not imbibe and avoid Baccanal gatherings.

There was a company Christmas party one year which did not attend and almost got fired be cause some of the young guys that drank and smoked dope (even during work sometimes) complained that I was disparaging them.
    I have always gotten the same 2 responses to my choice not to imbibe.

1) Are you Mormon?

2) Oh, I get it...recovering....

It takes me too long to explain why I don't drink...so I just go with: yep, friend of Bill.

A lawyer who doesn't drink is pretty rare and I have never cared if people around me drank, but even though its subtle, I can tell that sometimes my tea-totaler status is a buzz-kill...even though I have managed to do some pretty stupid things stone-cold-sober.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    A lawyer who doesn't drink is pretty rare and I have never cared if people around me drank, but even though its subtle, I can tell that sometimes my tea-totaler status is a buzz-kill...even though I have managed to do some pretty stupid things stone-cold-sober.
    You should have been an MA student in History. I got a lot of free pop from bars assuming I was a DD.

Anyhoo, I'm back. I now live in SoDak and we are attending a Lutheran church (don't worry, it's LCMS!).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You should have been an MA student in History. I got a lot of free pop from bars assuming I was a DD.

Anyhoo, I'm back. I now live in SoDak and we are attending a Lutheran church (don't worry, it's LCMS!).
    Gotta love Prairie Lutheran churches.

Good to see you here, Historian.

Top Bottom