• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Was looking around some for info about the Younger Dryas impact event.

And thinking about the K-T impact event.

And thinking about "wormwood", about a burning mountain going into the sea.

And thinking that Father is quite a marksman.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Was looking around some for info about the Younger Dryas impact event.

And thinking about the K-T impact event.

And thinking about "wormwood", about a burning mountain going into the sea.

And thinking that Father is quite a marksman.
    Let me check what thread this is....
    Still got no clue.

In other news, is it legit, or a smear campaign against the new SBC president?
    https://www.patheos.com/blogs/rollt...evangelicals-react-to-his-plagiarism-scandal/

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You could always apply the mind of Christ litmus test.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Well, how do you know what Christ would think.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Shared via Bible KJV

If it fails this test a Christian should not think about it let alone discuss it.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    When the location and the angle of the impact was published (showing the resulting chemical content of the plume and the shape of the splash zone) for the K-T strike my first thoughts were to be impressed by His marksmanship.
    I still think of it in those terms. :woot:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    In other news, is it legit, or a smear campaign against the new SBC president?
    https://www.patheos.com/blogs/rollt...evangelicals-react-to-his-plagiarism-scandal/
    I would have a hard time with this. I have a problem with plagiarism, make no mistake about that; However, God owns the copyright on scripture.

First, the scripture is the same regardless of who is addressing the passage, especially in the case of expository preaching. Unless you are a charlatan making crap up, it is what it is any there is only so much you can get out of it.

Second, between trusted friends or colleagues, there is often much private discussion and agreement on any given passage of scripture. Between a couple of pastor friends and I, you could pick scripture, ask for an explanation, and what one says, we all would say with some variation in turn of phrase.

Third, where do you draw the line on what constitutes plagiarism? This in a way is a reiterating if my first point, only from a different angle.

There was a plagiarism scandal, a secular figure if I remember correctly, that Rod Smith covered in his newspaper column. He included a confession of his own personal experience of learning by getting caught. He took word for word notes and replicated the older pastor's sermon down to the pauses for breath. The pastor whose sermon he stole was present when he did so and addressed it privately. Smith's final advice was to "milk a lot of cows but make your own milkshake".

In the end, there is no brand new breaking ground here. There is no passage that has never been preached on. Intelligent people presented the same material will likely reach similar conclusions. I can think of only one point I have heard brought up by only one pastor ever, which is the belief that the messenger with whom John spoke in Revelation was in fact the Apostle Paul. Aside from that I can think of nothing unique to any one pastor.

The article seemed to indicate that the issue was paraphrasing as opposed to direct duplication. Not only would I consider it likely but I would expect similar sermons based on the same passages, especially from like-minded colleagues. I dont have enough information for a firm opinion and I am not ruling out a plagiarism problem, but I certainly would not take this at face value.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Well, if somebody's worried about plagiarism they need to stop quoting scripture and stop saying everybody needs to adhere to their doctrine.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I haven’t kept up with this thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned… Some of you may know I became a Catholic just over a year ago. I could write volumes about the profound and positive changes that have occurred in my life since then.

I know this is going to seem obvious and simplistic to many of you based on the depth of discussion here, however…

I hadn’t spent any time with the Bible since what we called “weekday religious education” classes back in grade school (try THAT in a public school today!). I recall a Christmas program or two back then, but no further serious consideration of religion for me until a couple of years ago, somewhere a bit beyond middle-aged.

I’ve been following a podcast, “Bible in a Year” by Fr. Mike Schmitz of Ascension (he’s popular on YouTube). It’s about 20 to 25 minutes per day, two or three chapters, a Psalm, and some explanatory commentary. I had no idea what an amazing gift the Bible is. Even if someone is skeptical or unwilling to approach it as the Word of God, it’s so fascinating. Insight into all aspects of life in the ancient world, and how relevant all of it is to today, is always interesting.

For those who do approach it as the Word of God, we learn rather quickly that God has revealed all the answers and there aren’t many new problems in the world. We’ve just lost our way and forgotten where the prevention and solutions have been clear to see all along.

The podcast is just great, I can’t recommend it enough!

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I haven’t kept up with this thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned… Some of you may know I became a Catholic just over a year ago. I could write volumes about the profound and positive changes that have occurred in my life since then.

I know this is going to seem obvious and simplistic to many of you based on the depth of discussion here, however…

I hadn’t spent any time with the Bible since what we called “weekday religious education” classes back in grade school (try THAT in a public school today!). I recall a Christmas program or two back then, but no further serious consideration of religion for me until a couple of years ago, somewhere a bit beyond middle-aged.

I’ve been following a podcast, “Bible in a Year” by Fr. Mike Schmitz of Ascension (he’s popular on YouTube). It’s about 20 to 25 minutes per day, two or three chapters, a Psalm, and some explanatory commentary. I had no idea what an amazing gift the Bible is. Even if someone is skeptical or unwilling to approach it as the Word of God, it’s so fascinating. Insight into all aspects of life in the ancient world, and how relevant all of it is to today, is always interesting.

For those who do approach it as the Word of God, we learn rather quickly that God has revealed all the answers and there aren’t many new problems in the world. We’ve just lost our way and forgotten where the prevention and solutions have been clear to see all along.

The podcast is just great, I can’t recommend it enough!

Good for you sir!

Bible study is a gift everyone can and should give to themselves. One of the big surprises to me was that most people never find out what the first chapter says and afterwards remain confused about oh so much!

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I love just reading the Bible.....especially when I am down on life a little, doubting myself, feeling like a failure or just worrying to worry. Seems like I can just randomly open the Bible and start reading, and somehow it always tells me the answer to what brought me to it in the first place. Can't really explain it......

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Good for you sir!

Bible study is a gift everyone can and should give to themselves. One of the big surprises to me was that most people never find out what the first chapter says and afterwards remain confused about oh so much!
    OK, you've pique my curiosity, do tell.

Back when Indiucky was more active here, we got into some conversations on Gen 1.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    But, I think the point is God.

So many either completely dismiss Him or attempt to make Him conform to their own image.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Still working my way through Alberino's Birthright book.
    Really enjoying it so far, appreciating his perspective and ability to show how parts of the biblical narratives fit together.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why do we accept that we're terrible, unworthy sinners when we accept Christ, then spend the rest of our lives trying to prove we're righteous?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why would you do that? Only God will judge you. So you better make sure your salvation is worked out between you and God. Nothing else matters.
    We say that, and believe it, then judge others, only show that we have "good" sin (e.g. pride), and make ourselves feel superior.

Our relationship with God matters, but so does our relation with other Christians and non-Christians.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom