Ciara Meyer, 12, Killed in Eviction Confrontation Between Father, Constable (PA)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Calmest person to ever have a gun pointed at them.

Maybe. But not unusual.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...96940-random-violence-stats-ive-compiled.html

Not unusual in the slightest. The panicked mag dump is rare even among the untrained. The reason is debatable, maybe they subconsciously expect the first shot to resolve the issue and hesitate, maybe ingrained with shoot/evaluate old school training methodology, maybe reaction of suspect so quick evaluation is near immediate. I can't say why, but I can say from real world observation one shot is common.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Maybe. But not unusual.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...96940-random-violence-stats-ive-compiled.html

Not unusual in the slightest. The panicked mag dump is rare even among the untrained. The reason is debatable, maybe they subconsciously expect the first shot to resolve the issue and hesitate, maybe ingrained with shoot/evaluate old school training methodology, maybe reaction of suspect so quick evaluation is near immediate. I can't say why, but I can say from real world observation one shot is common.

While my "training" was many years ago, I was taught to "double tap" and practiced that method many times at the Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol club. I have continued to practice this method to date now shoot outdoors and at the Linden Conservation club. Not saying this is the only method, but it certainly seems it would be a more effective defense method than shooting once and waiting to see it fire is returned!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I would like to ask a question to the Officers who have commented here; Suppose you are minding your business and something horrible happens and there is an unintended fatality. It could happen like this or perhaps even a traffic accident while in pursuit, anything. How do you handle the guilt? How do you continue in your duties with something like this on your heart?

Old boy caused this just as if he took the constables hand, drew the gun with that hand and fired the shot himself. Nevertheless the constable did what he did and there was tragic consequences. How does he not blame himself? How does it not effect his ability to defend himself or others in the future? How is this not a career ending accident?

Now look, nobody get me wrong. I AM NOT BLAMING HIM. I just can't imagine that a normal decent man would not blame himself. What could anybody tell him to make it OK? Officers are trained to recognize the need and to have the skills to use deadly force. what is the training in regards to unintended consequences?

This could happen to any one of us. If you discharge your gun in public, people are in harms way. What if it goes wrong? Forget about the legal ramifications, How do you continue in life packing a gun knowing that this has happened by your hand despite your doing nothing wrong at all?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I would like to ask a question to the Officers who have commented here; Suppose you are minding your business and something horrible happens and there is an unintended fatality. It could happen like this or perhaps even a traffic accident while in pursuit, anything. How do you handle the guilt? How do you continue in your duties with something like this on your heart?

Old boy caused this just as if he took the constables hand, drew the gun with that hand and fired the shot himself. Nevertheless the constable did what he did and there was tragic consequences. How does he not blame himself? How does it not effect his ability to defend himself or others in the future? How is this not a career ending accident?

Now look, nobody get me wrong. I AM NOT BLAMING HIM. I just can't imagine that a normal decent man would not blame himself. What could anybody tell him to make it OK? Officers are trained to recognize the need and to have the skills to use deadly force. what is the training in regards to unintended consequences?

This could happen to any one of us. If you discharge your gun in public, people are in harms way. What if it goes wrong? Forget about the legal ramifications, How do you continue in life packing a gun knowing that this has happened by your hand despite your doing nothing wrong at all?

Counseling, early and often. It certainly can be career ending. ANY person with a conscious will blame themselves, if they say they are not, they are lying. I have friends that have severe PTSD for less than this.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Taking a human life regardless of the circumstances is not an easy pill to swallow. In a situation like this one the fact is, as you mentioned, the constable was not at fault which is helpful and hopefully he has spoken with people who have helped to make that clear. I read that the family of this little girl stated that they did not blame the officer and in fact felt pity for him, that would be helpful as well. As Denny mentioned, few complete a career in LE without significant damage. Some deal with it better than others and it ends the careers many in one way or another.

Top Bottom