• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    I see a lot of well reviewed chronographs out there in the $100 range. Anyone think using a chrono is a good way to judge their reloads? I was thinking that if I get unexpected high velocities for any certain load that I would know to make an adjustment for less power. Do you think velocity would be notable prior to other signs of too much pressure? (I could be just making excuses to buy more toys)

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Velocity IS a sign of pressure.

And it depends on the cartridge, but you will normally see it on the chrono before you see other signs of pressure.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Velocity is not the best way to look for high pressure but yes they are very helpful when working up hand loads.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I see a lot of well reviewed chronographs out there in the $100 range. Anyone think using a chrono is a good way to judge their reloads? I was thinking that if I get unexpected high velocities for any certain load that I would know to make an adjustment for less power. Do you think velocity would be notable prior to other signs of too much pressure? (I could be just making excuses to buy more toys)

loading w/o a chrono is like driving w/o a speedometer, imo...

in addition to [possibly] revealing pressure issues as you step up your loads, they can reveal potential accuracy issues (std dev in velocity), temperature sensativity of your powders, etc.

some additional info and links to chrono gear:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...oading/287276-educate_me_on_chronographs.html

-rvb

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Do you NEED one? No. If all you are ever doing is loading conservative loads and not changing data all the time then you can happily reload your entire life without one.

As a scientist, I prefer to get hard data over speculation any day, so having a chronograph is one way of doing that and can be used to better understand your loading.

It CAN give you an idea of overpressure, but it WON'T always do so. The same with reading the brass and primer. The ONLY way to reliably see overpressure is to use a strain gauge.

They are cheap enough that there really is no excuse to not have one.

Last edited:

IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    thanks again, I find it easier to justify my toys when I can use enhanced safety to support!

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Certainly not required but it does give you insight into what is going on. The velocity is not a direct indicator of chamber pressure (the limit of which is a concern) but it is related.

If you are just loading to save $$$ and are near the minimum charge, then no need. But if you are wanting to push the limits, then you need to know where you are. A chronograph let's you know where you are by comparing your velocity with the loading data.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My chronograph is my favorite reloading tool. Probably more so than my press.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    This thread covered all the bases in just 10 posts...I shouldn't even comment on it, other than to say. :)

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Very useful tool For instance, I was working on a .357 load for a 170gr Keith style bullet and with my gun, the velocity increased as I dropped the powder charge. I would not have known that if I didn't have the chrony.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Bug holes are of little value if they don't hit the target. Do you know your bullet drop at 300 and 500 yards so that you know how far to come up? Do you know your ES so that you know which one of your loads with a one hole group at 100 yards will produce the least vertical stringing at long range? Or which combination of bullet weight BC and velocity will have the least wind drift... and how far you need to adjust left or right? A chronograph will tell you all of that.

IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Interesting questions Kludge. Do you have any recommendations for literature for people seeking to answer these questions and how to apply a chrono and extrapolate the data? Thanks

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Interesting questions Kludge. Do you have any recommendations for literature for people seeking to answer these questions and how to apply a chrono and extrapolate the data? Thanks

Check out The 'Hide. THE best forum on the net for long range and precision rifle shooting

Sniper's Hide

There are also online ballistics calculators that you can plug your numbers into and it will give you the math (though real-world data is always superior).

Ballistics Calculator - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

And if you want to pay for it, you can own such a program.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    As has been stated - if you load "mild" loads you certainly can get by without one. Does a chronograph give you a LOT more information about your reloads? - certainly. Does it give a "fore-warning" of high pressure? - somewhat, but not totally as a "fast" powder may build higher pressures in a rifle at lower velocity than a "slow" powder.

Used in conjunction with data tables, visual inspection of the primer and brass after firing it can be useful in obtaining an estimate of pressure. If mine quit, I would order a new one the same day!

Top Bottom