• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay. I just got off the phone with a very nice DNR officer. You are right. I am wrong. What I was saying was what they had intended, but not the way it turned out. Just like last year, when it was .243 and .30 caliber only. The legislators screwed it up. They should have it fixed for 2018. The officers will take this into consideration in the field if someone is ignorant of the change, not if they know about it. The 10 round thing also got screwed up. It was supposed to be High powered only, but is for all rifles. I asked him about 10 rounds of 44 mag in my rifle and 6 rounds of 44 mag in the revolver. He said he thought that was okay if the 10 rounds were "designated" for the rifle and 6 for the revolver.

So, before you go hunting with your 44 magnum (or 357, whatever) rifle and your handgun in the same caliber, take a sharpie and write "rifle" on the rounds you put in the rifle, and "handgun" on the rounds you put in your handgun and you'll be perfectly safe. ;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So, before you go hunting with your 44 magnum (or 357, whatever) rifle and your handgun in the same caliber, take a sharpie and write "rifle" on the rounds you put in the rifle, and "handgun" on the rounds you put in your handgun and you'll be perfectly safe. ;)

I like this idea. I'm gonna write DEER on 3 rounds of my .308 and SELF DEFENSE on the other 47. ;)

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

I like this idea. I'm gonna write DEER on 3 rounds of my .308 and SELF DEFENSE on the other 47. ;)

I needed a good laugh. Thanks!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    According to the DNR officer I just spoke to, the guides were printed before the law was in place. The DNR is attempting to educate the legislators and the people that ask. Fubar is right!

Crazy how they printed them before and go the new rifle caliber wording correct and failed on the pcr.... They have been against rifle hunting deregulation from the get go, now they have a tool come 2020 "In 2017 we ticketed/cited/warned x number of illegal rifle hunters on public land." They have known this was an issue for a while and now that the hunters who followed their rule book have made the investment in their equipment they are pulling this. They have disseminated the information to all of their c/o's, but kept it relatively quiet to the public. There should be a sign on every gun counter or door to rural king. It would not be hard to get the information out to the hunters. It also needs to be clearly stated on their licensing website in red letters in a pop up prior to purchasing a deer tag. A little more communication prior to the season would have quashed a lot of this outrage. The legislators goofed, but the failure of the DNR to adequately inform the public in a reasonable time frame is completely unacceptable and irresponsible.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Crazy how they printed them before and go the new rifle caliber wording correct and failed on the pcr.... They have been against rifle hunting deregulation from the get go, now they have a tool come 2020 "In 2017 we ticketed/cited/warned x number of illegal rifle hunters on public land."...

Your profile pic? Spot on.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I agree on the 3 rounds for deer and 47 for self defense. I was following this article with a wrinkle in my forehead, a gloomy look in my eyes and a frown on my face. Then someone cracks a small joke about it and I literally laugh out loud. Thank you

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    According to the DNR officer I just spoke to, the guides were printed before the law was in place. The DNR is attempting to educate the legislators and the people that ask. Fubar is right!

Crazy how they printed them before and go the new rifle caliber wording correct and failed on the pcr.... They have been against rifle hunting deregulation from the get go, now they have a tool come 2020 "In 2017 we ticketed/cited/warned x number of illegal rifle hunters on public land." They have known this was an issue for a while and now that the hunters who followed their rule book have made the investment in their equipment they are pulling this. They have disseminated the information to all of their c/o's, but kept it relatively quiet to the public. There should be a sign on every gun counter or door to rural king. It would not be hard to get the information out to the hunters. It also needs to be clearly stated on their licensing website in red letters in a pop up prior to purchasing a deer tag. A little more communication prior to the season would have quashed a lot of this outrage. The legislators goofed, but the failure of the DNR to adequately inform the public in a reasonable time frame is completely unacceptable and irresponsible.

The law passed in April. The Guide books are released in August? I don't buy that excuse.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Just got off the phone with a lieutenant from district 5.
    He states the law reads that NO centerfire rifles are to be used and that the law, as written, stands.
    I asked how strict the enforcement would be. He responded that officers were told to use a considerable amount of discretion, that he couldn't speak for other officers but he himself will not be enforcing this new rule.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    DNR customer service says that there will be a news release soon regarding this. She said that right now, the folks at DNR do not know what is in the release and that it is coming from the folks at Fish and Wildlife division. SO one hand is totally oblivious as to the very existence of the other hand.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    DNR customer service says that there will be a news release soon regarding this. She said that right now, the folks at DNR do not know what is in the release and that it is coming from the folks at Fish and Wildlife division. SO one hand is totally oblivious as to the very existence of the other hand.

So who wants to make book the 'news release' will have errors?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

AND, THAT, Ladies, and Gentlemen, IS our TAX DOLLARS, at WORK !!!!!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Just to mess with the powers that make the rules I found a local seller with encore barrels 16 inch long for sale. (Mainly been a contender guy overall) I have an encore frame with both rifle and pistol stocks.

i purchased a 308 barrel 30-06 barrel 270 barrel and 243 barrel. I have one set of warne rings quick detachable. So I will buy another set or two of them. I have a few scopes for handguns in 4 power and a few 3-9 or 4 power rifle scopes.

I can can use these in pistol form on state property (except military bases) legal. Pop on a rifle stock and quick change the scope and I am good to go on private land. Same caliber. Same frame. Same barrel. Same ammo. Just a little more challenge on state land. So someone want to shoot a 30-06 pistol? Wooo hoooo. Fireballs at dusk.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Just to mess with the powers that make the rules I found a local seller with encore barrels 16 inch long for sale. (Mainly been a contender guy overall) I have an encore frame with both rifle and pistol stocks.

i purchased a 308 barrel 30-06 barrel 270 barrel and 243 barrel. I have one set of warne rings quick detachable. So I will buy another set or two of them. I have a few scopes for handguns in 4 power and a few 3-9 or 4 power rifle scopes.

I can can use these in pistol form on state property (except military bases) legal. Pop on a rifle stock and quick change the scope and I am good to go on private land. Same caliber. Same frame. Same barrel. Same ammo. Just a little more challenge on state land. So someone want to shoot a 30-06 pistol? Wooo hoooo. Fireballs at dusk.
    I can say the same about my 300 blackout SBR. Can't use it unless I make it a pistol. I usually like many Indiana laws, but some of the hunting laws leave me scratching my head.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just received this via email

E85SUi7h.png

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

How does the average person see this news release? What's even more important, how does the average hunter even know to look for such a news release. I sure liked the good old days when the DNR hunting regulations actually meant something.

Top Bottom