• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Got it also. Complete and utter bs. Time for everyone to demand a refund that purchased a firearms license under the old laws!!!!

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    So what changed from last year when HPR rounds where in place for private land and PCR's where legal for public land??

Here are the Two IC Code one from last year and this years IC Code....

2016 IC code

IC 14-22-2-8 Deer hunting; permitted firearms; required report
    Sec. 8. (a) This section applies to a hunting season beginning after June 30, 2016, and ending before January 1, 2020.
    (b) A hunter may use a rifle during the firearms season to hunt deer subject to the following:
    (1) The use of a rifle is permitted only on privately owned land.
    (2) The rifle must have a barrel length of at least sixteen (16) inches.
    (3) The rifle must be chambered for one (1) of the following cartridges:
    (A) .243.
    (B) .30-30.
    (C) .300.
    (D) .30-06.
    (E) .308.
    (4) A hunter may not possess more than ten (10) cartridges for the rifle while hunting deer under this section.
    (5) The rifle must meet any other requirements established by the department.
    (c) The use of a full metal jacketed bullet to hunt deer is unlawful.
    (d) The department shall report on the impact of the use of rifles to hunt deer under this section to the governor and, in an electronic format under IC 5-14-6, the general assembly before February 15,
    (e) This section expires June 30, 2020.

2017 IC Code

C 14-22-2-8Deer hunting; permitted firearms; required report

Sec. 8. (a) This section applies to a hunting season beginning after June 30, 2016, and ending before January 1, 2020.
    (b) A hunter may use a rifle during the firearms season to hunt deer subject to the following:
    (2) The rifle must have a barrel length of at least sixteen (16) inches.
    (3) The rifle must be chambered for a cartridge that fires a bullet that is two hundred forty-three thousandths (.243) of an inch in diameter or larger.
    (4) The rifle must fire a cartridge that has a minimum case length of one and sixteen-hundredths (1.16) inches, but is no longer than three (3) inches.
    (5) A hunter may not possess more than ten (10) cartridges for the rifle while hunting deer under this section.
    (6) The rifle must meet any other requirements established by the department.
    (c) The use of a full metal jacketed bullet to hunt deer is unlawful.
    (d) The department shall report on the impact of the use of rifles to hunt deer under this section to the governor and, in an electronic format under IC 5-14-6, the general assembly before February 15, 2020.
    (e) This section expires June 30, 2020.
    As added by P.L.110-2016, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.195-2017, SEC.7.

i posted earlier but I will post again. What, specifically, changed from 2016 to 2017 at suddenly makes this an issue this year? Line 1 appears to be identical from year to year. DNR Saying that a law from this year makes all PCRs illegal seems like total BS

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Guess its time to sell the old .44mag rifle

They fixed the .243 and .30 caliber only in 1 year. The should have this fixed for the 2018 hunting season. Don't sell unless you have too. You almost certainly will be able to use it next season. I know it is a bunch of crap, but that is how the government has always worked. Poorly.

sprmario123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    Muncie
    They fixed the .243 and .30 caliber only in 1 year. The should have this fixed for the 2018 hunting season. Don't sell unless you have too. You almost certainly will be able to use it next season. I know it is a bunch of crap, but that is how the government has always worked. Poorly.

Then I guess I better dust off the 870 and sight that in.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    i posted earlier but I will post again. What, specifically, changed from 2016 to 2017 at suddenly makes this an issue this year? Line 1 appears to be identical from year to year. DNR Saying that a law from this year makes all PCRs illegal seems like total BS

The code you have posted was on the new calibers they allowed last year which was private land only. This is now all centerfire rifle calibers that were allowed prior to last years additions. I have been using a 458 socom for that last few years which was legal on public land, now it is not due to our inept government! Once again complete bs. I did not get my firearms stamp just my bow license, but if i had i know i would be emailing/calling daily till i got a refund!

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    The code you have posted was on the new calibers they allowed last year which was private land only. This is now all centerfire rifle calibers that were allowed prior to last years additions. I have been using a 458 socom for that last few years which was legal on public land, now it is not due to our inept government! Once again complete bs. I did not get my firearms stamp just my bow license, but if i had i know i would be emailing/calling daily till i got a refund!

Right. I get that. They're saying new code for 2017 caused this mess and removed PCRs from public land. Where, specifically, is that new Code if it's not the IC change I quoted above that was done to allow additional HPRs? To my knowledge that was he only change in IC regarding this issue made this year..no?

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    fw-news-banner22_crop.jpg

Important corrections to Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide
    Indiana deer and waterfowl hunters need to be aware of two important changes in the print version of the 2017-2018 Hunting & Trapping Guide.​
    Due to recent legislation passed this year by the Indiana General Assembly, hunters can no longer use rifles when hunting deer on public land. “Public land” includes both state and federal property. Before the change, the use of rifles on public land had been legal.​
    It remains legal to use a muzzleloader, shotgun or handgun when hunting deer on public land in accordance with deer hunting regulations.​
    The waterfowl correction is that the daily bag limit for black ducks is two. The printed Hunting and Trapping Guide mistakenly states the bag limit as one.​
    The online Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide has been updated with these corrections. You can view the updated guide at wildlife.IN.gov/2343.htm
    For more information on rifle requirements for deer hunting on private land, visit wildlife.IN.gov/7389.htm and click on “Equipment.”​
    For up to date information on waterfowl seasons, visit: wildlife.IN.gov/3569.htm

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Right. I get that. They're saying new code for 2017 caused this mess and removed PCRs from public land. Where, specifically, is that new Code if it's not the IC change I quoted above that was done to allow additional HPRs? To my knowledge that was he only change in IC regarding this issue made this year..no?

It's right there in the code.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Right. And from the 2016 code it was exactly the same. Verbatim. So why is it an issue now vs last year?

It was a mistake made by legislators that know nothing about firearms or hunting. I spent several hours on this yesterday. Go back to post #72 and read through until post #98 It is explained through there.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Im not sure it has anything to do with code per se, but has everything to do with the House Enrolled Act 1415 which is where our inept legislators f'd up.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    How does the average person see this news release? What's even more important, how does the average hunter even know to look for such a news release. I sure liked the good old days when the DNR hunting regulations actually meant something.

Go to the DNR website and click on "News Release" Duh.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    So where do all the old timers that have been hunting with lever action 44mags for years, who use the guide, and who dont use a computer, go to find out this info I wonder. Goodluck to a young CO telling some veteran that their was a snafu with regs this year so he can't use ol' betsy.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I got the e-mail too.

We can continue to to blow this off, blaming govt legislature, etc. or we can make a stink, as we should.

Let's do it with a plan. Plan for this year to be as stated and next year private and public ground are the same with the foolish round count restrictions gone.

These people are employed by us. We need to hold them accountable as such.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I got the e-mail too.

We can continue to to blow this off, blaming govt legislature, etc. or we can make a stink, as we should.

Let's do it with a plan. Plan for this year to be as stated and next year private and public ground are the same with the foolish round count restrictions gone.

These people are employed by us. We need to hold them accountable as such.

Someone does need to educate the ignorant, but I'm not even sure High powered rifles are a good idea on public land. I hunted the Mississinewa Reservoir for years. Crazy place to hunt on opening day. Bullets flying everywhere. A buddy had a bullet hit a tree 5 feet from him and he was 10 feet up.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Someone does need to educate the ignorant, but I'm not even sure High powered rifles are a good idea on public land. I hunted the Mississinewa Reservoir for years. Crazy place to hunt on opening day. Bullets flying everywhere. A buddy had a bullet hit a tree 5 feet from him and he was 10 feet up.

We had that argument over the past few years. It's gone through all it needs to go through, meetings, hearings and such.

Top Bottom