• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    I've been going to the 1500 for years, other than complain about parking fees & cost of admission (You have to get a REAL good deal to make it worthwhile) my biggest gripe is when the police at the door put that huge orange wire tie through my gun making it totally useless. I wouldn't mind so much if there weren't a thousand vendors & 200 cops, all armed plus 10,000 guns and probably a couple million rounds of ammo stacked EVERYWHERE.

So I wrote Mitch a letter and asked WHY must I disarm? I received a very polite letter from the State Fair Grounds Board President advising that it was NOT the decision of the board to disarm attendees but, insurance requirements required that only licensed vendors and sworn law enforcement officers could be armed. Now you know...the rest of the story.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There is no state statute against carrying at the fairgrounds during the gun show, but the gun show has had its share of NDs and really just look at the "gun handling" at the show, it's enough to make a man weak in the knees.

What I do not understand is that if they are so concerned about the jacklegs handling their shootin' arns in the show, why allow the buffoonery that goes on outside in the parking lot?

Why not a designated area to load and unload rather than using Jasper's pick up or a brick wall that is a ric spring board?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    There is no state statute against carrying at the fairgrounds during the gun show, but the gun show has had its share of NDs and really just look at the "gun handling" at the show, it's enough to make a man weak in the knees.

What I do not understand is that if they are so concerned about the jacklegs handling their shootin' arns in the show, why allow the buffoonery that goes on outside in the parking lot?

Why not a designated area to load and unload rather than using Jasper's pick up or a brick wall that is a ric spring board?

Me thinks becuase what happens "inside" the buildings the orginizer of the event can get sued for and thus he has insurance for it. However, things that occur OUTSIDE the building are beyond the orginizer's control (ie. he can't be sued for) so why bother.

Based on this line of rules if I am the orginizer and my insurance cost is say $1,000 why would I look to increase my cost by providing some type of designated safe are to load/unload, the equipment for it, etc..

The orginizer is about making a profit. Adding the expense of the safe area when I don't need to legally/insurance prupose is pointless (money wise). Sure you can say it will help my customers (ie. attendance) but who cares.

Ya are still going to come with or without a safe area? Yet ND have occured inside and yet ya still come anyways. So there is no need for the orgainizer to spend money for sfatey yet.

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

UPCOMING EVENTS
    The final 2010 MEET & SHOOT will be in NOV. Go vote for which date!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...14439-nwi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_nov_date.html

Halloween Cigar OC Night is 28 OCT 2010
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...0_28_-_pit_stop_cigar_lounge_pine_island.html

Appleseed for NWI
    23 OCT 2010 @ NPCCC, Chesterton, IN
    2010 North Porter County, IN Appleseed Information

2 Day Courses
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Calendar
    11-12 DEC 2010 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    19-20 MAR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    02-03 APR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN

Keep this post for uncoming info & updates
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/107083-new_ranges_coming_to_eventbright.html

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

On finding a location for more Appleseeds:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    That orange tie also serves one other purpose. It shows that you brought the firearm into the show and are not stealing one.

The idea that if you try to walk out with a firearm that has a white tie on it, you must have a sales receipt as well as a day of show sticker. Granted someone can easily hide a pistol under a coat or jacket and sneak it out as in theft.

As someone who has run tables at the show, it is a nice feeling knowing that everyone going through should be safe. I have seen too many people improperly handling firearms so at least having a chance that they are unloaded since they have the orange tie through them is a little peace of mind.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Something I've occasionally wondered about those zip ties.

What if you want to pay a guy there to make a kydex holster for you?

Wouldn't he have to take off the zip tie?

Then what?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009

Then what?

Most of the vendors have extra zip ties, they just put a new one on

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    If I am going to be handling a gun inside the building (selling, trading) I will check it in, if not I am not checking it. Concealed means just that.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I'm kinda glad they make people unload. I can't count the number of times I've had a gun pointed at me in that place. And that was just the last show!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

Then what?

vendors get white/clear plastic zip ties from the show office. and stickers for if they sell a gun, but a receipt must be shown as well.

if a vendor takes off your orange zip tie then puts a white one back on your gun then make sure you keep the orange one that was taken off. this will be important when you leave.

i always just "properly" removed the orange ties from customers guns and then re-applied them without cutting.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Me thinks becuase what happens "inside" the buildings the orginizer of the event can get sued for and thus he has insurance for it. However, things that occur OUTSIDE the building are beyond the orginizer's control (ie. he can't be sued for) so why bother.

Kirk I think what jedi posted might be part of it. If they provided an area for loading and unloading, might they be responsible for any ad/nd that occur there? Your an attorney I'm sure you could think of some way to spin it to make it their fault if something happened. Not saying that you would but that you could.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    If I am going to be handling a gun inside the building (selling, trading) I will check it in, if not I am not checking it. Concealed means just that.

I agree with this, unfortunately some gun owners forget that its meant to stay in the holster and pull it out to show it off or try a holster hence the no loaded gun rule

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I've been going to the 1500 for years, other than complain about parking fees & cost of admission (You have to get a REAL good deal to make it worthwhile) my biggest gripe is when the police at the door put that huge orange wire tie through my gun making it totally useless. I wouldn't mind so much if there weren't a thousand vendors & 200 cops, all armed plus 10,000 guns and probably a couple million rounds of ammo stacked EVERYWHERE.

So I wrote Mitch a letter and asked WHY must I disarm? I received a very polite letter from the State Fair Grounds Board President advising that it was NOT the decision of the board to disarm attendees but, insurance requirements required that only licensed vendors and sworn law enforcement officers could be armed. Now you know...the rest of the story.

I've tried to explain many times that it's insurance requirements at the root of many of the "no-guns" businesses, including gun shows. Are their any gun shows in the country that don't require you to disarm?

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    Didn't mean to start a crap-storm here. I don't really mind having to unload but I don't like that big orange tie. I know...it works and all but I can't get my Kimber back in the holster with the slide jacked and it wont close properly...yada, yada, yada.

Top Bottom