• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Didn't mean to start a crap-storm here. I don't really mind having to unload but I don't like that big orange tie. I know...it works and all but I can't get my Kimber back in the holster with the slide jacked and it wont close properly...yada, yada, yada.

Your not "required" to keep the orange tie zipped through the action, fwiw. Just "required" to keep the firearm unloaded and keep posession of the orange tie to prove ownership during exit of the show.

How else you supposed to fit for holsters or have them made, etc. :dunno:

That might help with your annoyance.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    Something I've occasionally wondered about those zip ties.

What if you want to pay a guy there to make a kydex holster for you?

Wouldn't he have to take off the zip tie?

Then what?

Make sure they replace it , otherwise you might be going home without your gun.
    most vendors do have extra zip ties for this purpose, if you were trading the first thing they would do is cut the tie anyway , so you would think they would have to replace it

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Went to the Louisville gun show last weekend and at the last minute decided to declare my CC. I unloaded, (putting mag. in one pocket and the bullets in the other) Officer at the table asked me if I had the mag. after he zip tied my Walther PPS. I showed the mag. and he then asks if I had any rounds for it. I almost smarted off to him but stopped short and just said yes. He started to read me the riot act telling me that I had to leave them in my vehicle as per the sign posted. I saw no such sign other than the one stating that all firearms must be unloaded and checked in at table. After seeing the arguing going downhill fast I just placed the rounds on the table and told him I would pick them up on my way out. You should have seen the look on his face, it was priceless! And they were there on my way out with another officer on duty thank goodness!

I did find a good price on a Winchester Model 37 12ga. Its a beauty! Looks and shoots nice and tight.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I doubt the show runners could get insurance without the "no loaded guns" policy.

With thousands of people milling about, imagine them handling loaded weapons. Even with careful owners handling them - they're going to get jostled in the aisles and somebody is going to drop one on the floor or have an accidental discharge eventually.

Not saying I wouldn't like to be able to carry there as well, but saying that it makes sense from an insurance perspective.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    If you need to carry a gun in a place where half the attendees are cops, they you probably shouldn't be there. :twocents:

Sure I carry my revolver in, have it tied, and keep the ammo in my pocket, and make sure ive got a sharp knife. But if they get past the 200 cops at the door then im screwed, I could be carrying a 240B and I'd still be screwed at that point. :cool:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I doubt the show runners could get insurance without the "no loaded guns" policy.

With thousands of people milling about, imagine them handling loaded weapons. Even with careful owners handling them - they're going to get jostled in the aisles and somebody is going to drop one on the floor or have an accidental discharge eventually.

Not saying I wouldn't like to be able to carry there as well, but saying that it makes sense from an insurance perspective.

Why would ANYONE be drawing a loaded gun except to shoot? If you're at a gun show looking for a holster, then the gun should be unloaded to begin with for that exact reason. Otherwise, keep it in the holster. I don't understand this desire to keep drawing a loaded gun in a public place.

Keeping it in the holster is safer than drawing it at the door to unload it. Most of the NDs I read about at gun shows are from people loading and unloading their guns at the door because of this moronic policy. We already know the policy is ineffective because of the number of people right here on INGO who say "concealed means concealed" and then use the winky smiley icon. Half of the people are ignoring the signs completely and that means the policy is pointless.

John224

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    239   0   1
    Apr 8, 2010
    West Indianapolis
    Went to the Louisville gun show last weekend and at the last minute decided to declare my CC. I unloaded, (putting mag. in one pocket and the bullets in the other) Officer at the table asked me if I had the mag. after he zip tied my Walther PPS. I showed the mag. and he then asks if I had any rounds for it. I almost smarted off to him but stopped short and just said yes. He started to read me the riot act telling me that I had to leave them in my vehicle as per the sign posted. I saw no such sign other than the one stating that all firearms must be unloaded and checked in at table. After seeing the arguing going downhill fast I just placed the rounds on the table and told him I would pick them up on my way out. You should have seen the look on his face, it was priceless! And they were there on my way out with another officer on duty thank goodness!

I did find a good price on a Winchester Model 37 12ga. Its a beauty! Looks and shoots nice and tight.

All that and you can buy ammunition at the next table!!!

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    All that and you can buy ammunition at the next table!!!

Exactly!! That was the point I was attempting to make to the LEO. But was falling on deaf ears.

I can understand why they would want your firearms unloaded and ziptied. Too many variables at these gun shows. I typically just keep it concealed, for that same reason. Whoa! I think I might have just contradicted myself, not sure.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I've never been to a show before. This is some good stuff to know before going. Anything else I should expect?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

Tell him, "Yes, I have ammo that would fit into gun, but it's for sale. Everyone else is allowed to bring in ammo for sale." It's worked for me when I forgot to unload in the car.

It just so happened that no one wanted to pay $11.25 per round for .38 Special HydraShocks... who would have guessed? :D

SAMSON

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Indy, Southside
    If you think there a thousand vendors there who are armed think again. Vendors aren't even allowed to carry during the show. I know you'll see one once in a while who's wearing a gun but they are just like the ones who say yes I know you have such and such a rule but I choose to ignore it. AD's are caused only by those who chose to ignore the rule, whether it's a vendor or customer. Logically if a gun is not loaded it cannot go off. Maybe I should make a video and speeaak reeaaal slooooow.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Last show a I asked a vendor what model holosight he had on his carry glock.

He voluntarily and politely took it out of the holster to show me....which mostly involved him angling the around his table, at my stomach and others, with his finger on the trigger.

Was it loaded? No idea.....but it was cocked and he was a "responsible vendor", so probably.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    If you think there a thousand vendors there who are armed think again. Vendors aren't even allowed to carry during the show. I know you'll see one once in a while who's wearing a gun but they are just like the ones who say yes I know you have such and such a rule but I choose to ignore it. AD's are caused only by those who chose to ignore the rule, whether it's a vendor or customer. Logically if a gun is not loaded it cannot go off. Maybe I should make a video and speeaak reeaaal slooooow.

vendors who aren't asked at the door if we have a weapon on us....just saying. :dunno:

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    ABSOLUTELY, guns should be unloaded at a gun show. There are many people and many guns, and some people are not used to safe handling of a firearm.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My thinking At the indy 1500 the extra zip ties they pass out to the vendors are for placing into the corners of the Tarps to keep the rain off the inventory inside the building.

When it rains outside the building it rains inside also.

Top Bottom