• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    Went out Thursday to Merom lake ( Turttle Creek ) we ended up bringing 75 home. Wsa a great day to be on the water. I also spoke to Bass fisherman. They stated that Bass are making a come back in the lake. They are catching several 2-3 pound bass. They still have a one bass limit. Must be 21 inches to keep. I would love to see the Crappie make a come back. I have one on my wall that weighed 2.8 lbs from there a few years ago. I caught 5 that day largest 2.8 lb and smallest 2.0 lbs. Was just a great day to be on the water.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Is Turtle creek over run with cats? I read where there is no bag limit there so I figured they were trying to reduce the population. Either way, sounds like a great day on the water!

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    Yes it is. They are having a hard time getting rid of them. And the problem is they continue to produce. Most every one I caught were full of eggs. They are very good to eat. They have no fish taste at all. Most all I caught were 1-3 pounds each

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    How do you fish for them and what bait? I catfish more than anything and am always looking for places. Any good bank spots there?

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    How do you fish for them and what bait? I catfish more than anything and am always looking for places. Any good bank spots there?

Yes there is. I use a number 4 trebble hook with a spring and use Sonnys blood bait. I also use a bobber and fish about 2 foot deep. Im always open to taking with me. If intetested call me. 812-585-5372

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Ok I may be able to do that, work is about to get crazy I work at crop production services and planting season is about here. What is the average size you catch? I just want to fill the freezer

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    I would love to fish there, but don't know about eating them? Check this out first In Indiana Water

Yes I have heard that for years. Just seems strange that with all the water testing that is done there it has never been closed. I'm sure that if the water was contaminated the DNR would step in and have it closed. I have been eating fish from there for over 10 years and still no problems. I can tell you that the fish that I catch there have no fishy taste to them. Their meat is very white. Head on down there you will have a good time. You can catch catfish from 10 inches up to 20 pounds quite often. The ones I catch average 1 to 3 pounds

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    Yes it is. They are having a hard time getting rid of them. And the problem is they continue to produce. Most every one I caught were full of eggs. They are very good to eat. They have no fish taste at all. Most all I caught were 1-3 pounds each

Sounds like a great day. I remember catfishing as a boy back in the 60's and 70's with my Dad. We would use chicken liver on the bottom of the white river near Seymour. Lots of nice channel cats and an occasional blue or flathead. But I distinctly remember a very muddy, river like taste, especially compared to lake caught channels or panfish.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I fish there quite often. I always take my cast net and use fresh shad. IMO you can't beat what they are already eating. In January and February when it is cold, we fish from the road in the hot water discharge area. Usually you catch more than you want. 1-5lb with the average being closer to the small size. When it warms up we fish from a boat. Most of the lake is extremely shallow. Like dragging your motor on bottom out in the middle shallow. We fish the channels or any holes, especially when they are closer to an island or bank. There is also an old road bed that can be really good. There are a lot of bank fishing options, but they can fill up quick on nice weather days. You will mostly only catch channels, as there are millions of the things in there, but there are flatheads in there, and some really big ones.

Crappiepro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    North East Vigo County
    I used to fish there and would catch 4,5 and 6lb bass out of there. Now I just catfish it.
    We use cutbait and large chunks at that with heavy rods and high test line.
    Over the last 15yrs we've caught several very large Blue cats and Flat Heads.
    The funny thing about that lake is "When it's on, it's on!" but some days you can't buy a bite LOL.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I would love to drive down and fish this place you all speak of. Any anyone send me some specific info on it? I have never even heard of this place....thanks you can pm me.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I love fishing for cats. I take a vacation around the 4th of July and have plenty of time to do some catfishin'.

Top Bottom