• ...and so much more!
  • Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    After perusing this thread again I decided to clean up the dutch oven and check out two skillets that were my grandmothers. One is a Griswold No. 10 Erie PA and the other is a Wagner Ware Sydney -o-. I use both of these in the kitchen a lot. I have a cheaper skillet I use for outdoor cooking.

The Wagner is from Sydney Ohio and both Wagner and Griswold were purchased by Randall.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I have a late 57 or early 58 Dutch oven which has the Wagner name cast over the Griswold name.It was only on some items the year of the merger.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I notice this as well. Recently bought a Lodge cast iron skillet and have to constantly reseason it because stuff keeps sticking to it. In comparison, an older pan that's been in the family has a smooth surface and always cleans easy.

I wonder if taking a power sander to the newer skillet to smooth it out would be effective. Other than the oiled seasoning, they wouldn't happen to have any factory special coating on them, would they?

New skillets are super rough so they can do you the "favor" of pre-seasoning. The rough texture keeps the oil from running in production. It also saves them money on post-casting finishing (like a tumble in a deburring drum with the ceramic media).

Personally, I've had the best luck with a very stiff cup brush, then a wire wheel in an angle grinder. This gives a finish that is about orange peel in texture. The problem with sanding is that it applies uneven pressure (usually) and you'll end up with an uneven looking appearance. Die grinder and Rolocs will smooth quickly, but not quickly AND evenly. To make it even takes a lot of time.

With my angle grinder method, my brand new Lodge 8" cooks even better than my thinner and much smoother vintage Wagner. Equally non-stick, but heat more evenly because it's thicker.
    The factory coating is nothing special really. And in my experience is it TERRIBLE for non-stick properties. It's only pre-seasoned in the sense that it prevents corrosion.

But so did the wax coating used on these things back in the day. Only those pans were smooth and produced superior non-stick in just a few uses.

ASIDE: contrary to reputation, cast iron is NOT "even heating" because it's a terrible conductor of heat-- the even heating is due to the stove (open flame) in most cases, not the pan itself. If you doubt this, put a larger cast iron pan on a heating element that's too small, and measure the temperature difference between the edges (no element) and the middle where it's contacting the element. Cast iron is actually such a poor conductor of heat that you can measure a "colder area" between the rings of an older-style heating element.

Other aside-- "cast iron" is literally thousands of different metals. Older cast iron pans are usually made of a superior grade of iron with fewer impurities from an era when there was no recycled iron, and it didn't have plastic and who knows what else in it-- it was made mostly from virgin ore.

The alloy used by Lodge and that used by Griswold and Wagner are in the cast iron family, but there's considerable room for variation within that description.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    That pebbly surface on new Lodge pans is just fine for cooking. If you don't like the factory seasoning, strip it with lye or electrolysis and start fresh. It works just fine though. It's all a matter of correct temperature and methods of cooking. Your vintage, smooth bottom skillet will heat up differently than your automated, pebble, thick, modern lodge. The secret is finding the happy medium for both. The answer is not to take a grinder to it. Learn to use the pan as it was made. You can tinker with it, but it isn't necessary.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    And Lodge is NOT the only one in the game. There are plenty of Asian manufacturers. There are also quite a few USA made pans again now as well. Finex, smithy, field, butterpat, and grizzly to name a few. Of course, you will pay a premium for the handcast, ground, and sometimes polished pans. But there are plenty out there. I suggest if you enjoy tinkering, get out to a garage sale, flea market, or estate sale and find some vintage pans and build a little etank. It's a lot more fun and rewarding to bring one back to life instead of ruining one with a grinder.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    And Lodge is NOT the only one in the game. There are plenty of Asian manufacturers. There are also quite a few USA made pans again now as well. Finex, smithy, field, butterpat, and grizzly to name a few. Of course, you will pay a premium for the handcast, ground, and sometimes polished pans. But there are plenty out there. I suggest if you enjoy tinkering, get out to a garage sale, flea market, or estate sale and find some vintage pans and build a little etank. It's a lot more fun and rewarding to bring one back to life instead of ruining one with a grinder.

For sure... thats how we've started a collection... auctions, community garage sale days, family that doesn't want them any more.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I have had luck using the 3M fiber disc on a tiny air grinder with watered down rub compound.It did seem to be flat when I was done.I have only used it to take the high rings out of some new Lodge pieces.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I have seen the Finex,and Butterpats but I don't think most people could pay 125 to 300 for a single skillet.For us little people, Lodge will get you by till the older stuff falls in your lap. Gonna start on a early Wapak this week or next.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I have seen the Finex,and Butterpats but I don't think most people could pay 125 to 300 for a single skillet.For us little people, Lodge will get you by till the older stuff falls in your lap. Gonna start on a early Wapak this week or next.

Please don't use power tools on the wapak.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's it! I'm done with "non-stick" pans! I'm throwing out all my teflon and nu-tech wizz-bang kajigger pans. No more pans hocked by people on infomercials with bad accents.

After using my wok (to make kimchi & spam stir-fry, yum!), I realized that pan is 17 years old and is better than anything else. So carbon steel here I come! I need a rounded saute pan - any suggestions? I found this in this thread, is that a good pan? I see Lodge makes some, too...

Two months later and I pulled the trigger on a 11 7/8" Matfer Bourgeat. Time to go prep this beauty!

[video=youtube_share;-suTmUX4Vbk]http://youtu.be/-suTmUX4Vbk[/video]

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center

Pitbull:
    Just found this thread. Scrolling thru, I saw your BLACK BETTY. I do not have a picture here with me but I have her sister, her twin sister, in my barn. Every October we have friends and family over for a "bean supper" Ham & beans made in that kettle. I have used it 18-19 yrs and my dad used it before me. We have a lid for it but it is definitely NOT original, just convenient. Love that kettle.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Been wanting one of these little guys for awhile. Finally scored one for a fair price on Offerup.

2yua8li.jpg

Thing was full of ash up to the charcoal grate.

v7cpxy.jpg

Scooped all the crap out and stuck it in the oven for its first of 2 self cleaning cycles.

2j9tkx.jpg

Didn't come out as well as I hoped from the oven, so power tools had to come out. Normal pan I wouldn't do this to.

1jxjtj.jpg

Into soapy (yes soapy) water for a good cleansing.

5meq9i.jpg

Not to shabby!!

14wq6c.jpg

2iavmg3.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Just ordered the King Kooker Jambalaya Pot for the collection...10 Gallons. Not my preferred antique route but I needed the burner for cooking. Seems like all the Turkey Cookers they're selling locally are the one piece no oil variety without a removable pot...so you can't use for anything else.

The outdoor kitchen is turning out to be quite useful in this summers heat.

Top Bottom