• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    The Trail of Courage in Fulton County in September had some nice old pieces.The prices were about market value,but they had a good selection.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The other day, I was treated to pictures on Facebook posted by a friend of mine, that showed all of his cast iron cookware in a very hot campfire because....wait for it...

They need to be "decontaminated" of gluten.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The other day, I was treated to pictures on Facebook posted by a friend of mine, that showed all of his cast iron cookware in a very hot campfire because....wait for it...

They need to be "decontaminated" of gluten.

Time to reassess that friendship.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    I've heard of guys putting their cast iron in a campfire to burn the rust off of them, But gluten, that's a new one for me. I guess if mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I've heard of guys putting their cast iron in a campfire to burn the rust off of them, But gluten, that's a new one for me. I guess if mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy.
    With the older pieces you have to be careful of hot fires, they could warp, also if they turn red there is a good chance that they wont hold a seasoning again.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Had some time today to do some detail work after camping season. After the Temps today wish I was out in the woods somewhere using this stuff. Mainly Lodge stuff. Few of the pans are Griswolds. The pot with no lid is a Puritan, only one I've seen.

vhp94.jpg

34i04cp.jpg

By far the one I use the most is the reversible griddle. Mainly for indoor and outdoor bacon making.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Nice collection you got there. It does get addictive :D

Heres some of mine. I have quite a few more in the garage that I use for camping.

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    Consider a legged dutch oven style if you think you will cook in a campfire, it can be used in an oven too, but the legs have to fit between the rack slats or set on a cookie sheet.

I use new cast iron for a couple of months when new cooking anything that needs fat. I keep the heat lower and put little fat in to wipe around as it is cooling. Seems to be good after that time.

Older Wagner is great stuff and Lodge is OK for new. You might look at some garage sales and auctions and maybe get some pieces cheap that are in good shape. I have sandblasted two and re seasoned them in the past and they worked great but your mileage may vary!

I have always heard to keep your acids minimized, like tomatoes, chili, etc., to avoid damaging the cast iron, but don't know if it is true.

Enjoy!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If it's seasoned right the tomatoes don't bother cast iron. I cook sauces and salsa in mine all the time. If it's not seasoned it will rust it up good though.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Time for a non-partisan, good feeling bump of this thread.

If it's seasoned right the tomatoes don't bother cast iron. I cook sauces and salsa in mine all the time. If it's not seasoned it will rust it up good though.
    Yup. I've been making baked ziti in my 14" skillet.

Last night I felt nostalgic, and made fried chicken and gravy in grandma's (well, mine now) Griswold.

:drool:

Top Bottom