• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Cast Iron seems to be an addiction almost as bad as guns and ammo! Or maybe that's almost as good...we love our stuff.

Then there's branching out to steel... My Matfer Bourgeat is my go-to pan now.

The sad thing is, you go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and all you see is crappy coated pans with some celebrity's face on the label.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Friend of mine gave me a cast iron skillet. I believe it’s a 3 notch #14 Lodge 15 inch skillet. It has been sitting in a barn for the last 20 or so years. The electrolysis tank did most of the hard work but still need to steelwool some tough spots. Did three rounds of seasoning and it turned out amazing. Hard to believe it went from that to this. Can’t wait to start cooking in it.

This is when I first started it.

This is after 10 hours.

24 hours later.

Short video of it working.

[video=youtube_share;jj0AJLiQDns]http://youtu.be/jj0AJLiQDns[/video]

[video=youtube_share;8V4H6YfkND8]http://youtu.be/8V4H6YfkND8[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For those on the hunt, I found (and left) a cast iron corn bread pan at the Franciscan Thrift Store in Fort Wayne (Coliseum and Clinton). Decent condition, but I didn't see a brand name.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I have trouble posting pics on this forum so haven't participated in this thread much but my wife and I have between 3 and 4 hundred pieces of cast iron cookware. I would agree that it is as addictive as collecting guns. When we started you could get rusty Griswolds for $5-$10.
    On a side note Lodge is making bundt pans (hard to find the antique bundt pans for reasonable prices).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have trouble posting pics on this forum so haven't participated in this thread much but my wife and I have between 3 and 4 hundred pieces of cast iron cookware. I would agree that it is as addictive as collecting guns. When we started you could get rusty Griswolds for $5-$10.
    On a side note Lodge is making bundt pans (hard to find the antique bundt pans for reasonable prices).

:faint:

OK, I love cast iron, but a bundt pan? How is that practical?

[video=youtube;oEtnt-0N_Mc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEtnt-0N_Mc[/video]

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    :faint:

OK, I love cast iron, but a bundt pan? How is that practical?

[video=youtube;oEtnt-0N_Mc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEtnt-0N_Mc[/video]

As a collector it is one of the pieces that I looked for for a long time and its practical to make a bundt cake with. Not all pieces have to be practical, such as the Lion and the Lamb, the Santa, the Easter Bunny etc...

Last edited:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    My wife made some Cheesy Broccoli Soup with ham chunks from last nights supper. This cast iron pot is one of her favorites. My neighbor gave me this pot, it was in really bad shape but with a little love and time it has become part of a family again. I say that because cast iron can bring families together in the kitchen with generations to come

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    My modest collection grew by 1 today, a 9" Lodge, which joins my 4 other Lodge pans and 2 vintage pans.

L7eGobG.jpg

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Top Bottom