• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I tried to move but became confused going around and around all the traffic circles and ended up back where I started. :dunno:

pillsbury1983

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The Goshen Police used to have the following requirements:

- A letter stating why the applicant wanted a permit and felt the need to carry a firearm.

- 2 Letters of recommendation from others as to the persons need to for the permit.

- Show working knowledge of the firearm in the presense of the COP.

- Register the firearm with the department.

The permit application was filled out and submitted based on the Chief's approval. It was challenged in 2001 or 2002, I can't remember which. The State Police were notified by some residents of the city, ISP then told Goshen that they had no right to require any of that. They are only allowed to fill out the application, finger print the person and send the application to ISP for processing.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

- A letter stating why the applicant wanted a permit and felt the need to carry a firearm.

- 2 Letters of recommendation from others as to the persons need to for the permit.

The permit application was filled out and submitted based on the Chief's approval. It was challenged in 2001 or 2002, I can't remember which. The State Police were notified by some residents of the city, ISP then told Goshen that they had no right to require any of that. They are only allowed to fill out the application, finger print the person and send the application to ISP for processing.

Holy crap, that's some bull right there. I wonder if anyone has called ISP and complained about Carmel?

45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carmel
    When we moved down here from Michgan in 02 I was told to apply for my CCW at the Noblesville Sheriffs office when it was a 4 Year lic since then I have converted to Lifetime for $100. The initial Lic only took two weeks go get but I think having my Michigan CCW had something to do with the process. Our address is Carmel but actually we are in Westfield.
    And heavy on the Mule Fritters.

indyg19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    When i got my LTCH from Fishers I had zero interaction with any actual law enforcement officers. The receptionist took care of my whole application.
    I wonder how many people would be up in arms if you had to meet with the chief of police to write a letter to the editor in the newspaper or to go to church. The second amendment is the only one that people ask why when you want to express yourself.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I wonder how many people would be up in arms if you had to meet with the chief of police to write a letter to the editor in the newspaper or to go to church. The second amendment is the only one that people ask why when you want to express yourself.
    That's because the sheeple aren't afraid of newspapers and churches.

ProudAmerican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

From what I have heard the same thing happened in Hammond. The Chief used to have to have a meeting with the person applying and ask for reasons for the permit until they got sued and lost. Now you go in they fill in the form, take the finger prints and your money and send you out with the documents to mail in to the ISP. Also may I add (off topic but worth the note IMHO) if you have ANY questions about the firearm laws or licensing CALL the ISP firearms division; they are EXTREMELY helpful and very friendly. I have called them on a few various questions I have had and they were great!!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A lot of that stuff used to go on. I remember very well, in the 80s, my half brother was refused an application in Randolph Co. due to his long hair.

I thought all that local PD power hungriness was over. Is not the only reason the app goes through the locals is a check for pending infractions or arrests that haven't made it to court yet?

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Carmel is a waxing cell of liberalism in an otherwise happily conservative Hamilton County. Not sure how long they've had a "Hail to the Chief" requirement, but it sure as hell isn't the same place I went to high school back in the 80s.

I mean, they have an Arts & Design District for Pete's sake! (see Carmel Arts and Design District : Carmel, Indiana)

If you haven't been to Main St. for a while, pass through some time. It's a totally artificial, unnatural experience. And the cajun restaurant isn't any good, either. Hate to single them out, but it was like they opened a can of Campbell's soup and dumped it on a paper plate, then charged me $9 for it.

Used to make fun of "Nobletucky" in high school, but now I am a proud, gun toting Nobletuckian! :)

Last edited:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I met with the Carmel hief - he was a great guy and I felt that he just wanted to see if I was insane or not. We had a nice chat and I was outta there. The secretary took care of everything else.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I met with the Carmel hief - he was a great guy and I felt that he just wanted to see if I was insane or not. We had a nice chat and I was outta there. The secretary took care of everything else.

Insane or not, how about a background check? Oh, wait, the state ALREADY DOES THAT!!! The system is already in place, and localities do not need to stick their nose in it. I apologize if there is an exception, but I think that anyone who justifies the actions of the Carmel chief is kidding themselves. This man is overstepping his bounds, and I doubt that his motives are laudable. This is a lot of time he is wasting- both his and ours. If I were a Carmel resident I'd be upset that the Chief is wasting city resources. YMMV.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
    Sec. 3. (a) A person desiring a license to carry a handgun shall apply:
    (1) to the chief of police or corresponding law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides;

<snip>

(c) The officer to whom the application is made shall ascertain the applicant's name, full address, length of residence in the community, whether the applicant's residence is located within the limits of any city or town, the applicant's occupation, place of business or employment, criminal record, if any, and convictions (minor traffic offenses excepted), age, race, sex, nationality, date of birth, citizenship, height, weight, build, color of hair, color of eyes, scars and marks, whether the applicant has previously held an Indiana license to carry a handgun and, if so, the serial number of the license and year issued, whether the applicant's license has ever been suspended or revoked, and if so, the year and reason for the suspension or revocation, and the applicant's reason for desiring a license. The officer to whom the application is made shall conduct an investigation into the applicant's official records and verify thereby the applicant's character and reputation, and shall in addition verify for accuracy the information contained in the application, and shall forward this information together with the officer's recommendation for approval or disapproval and one (1) set of legible and classifiable fingerprints of the applicant to the superintendent.

Nothing about meeting with the applicant to see if he is sane. All of the information needed is on the application.

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Whew!!, am I glad I'm from Michigan. To get a CPL, I had to take a firearms course recognized by the state, File the application and pay $105.00 with the county clerk. Get fingerprinted. Wait for the results to come back from the state and the FBI. Then get invited to the 'Gun Board' which consists of a member of the Sheriffs office, a member of the prosecuting office, and a member of the state police. Get sworn in to tell the truth about the questions asked and answered on the app. Then if any member of the board had any questions they got to. Then the board votes to approve or deny. Mind you, Michigan is a SHALL ISSUE state.
    P.S. I got approved. Start all over again in 5 years. Later, Bob

Last edited:

Electron don

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Evansville
    Renewing Carry permit.

When I lived in town in Evansville, I had to make an appointment in the early afternoon on one specific day of the week to get printed and turn in everything. Sometimes, I would have to leave work early. They were always very helpful.

With the Sheriff's department it was much easier. One of the civilian employees at the front desk just comes out and does it whenever you stop by. I commented that it seemed silly for the city to require a policeman to take my prints since I obviouslly wasn't going to be uncooperative. She agreed and commented that it doesn't "help" if the printee tries to assist. It works better if you just realease all control and let her do it. She said that's why taking prints of dead people was the easiest. LOL

To be fair, I haven't lived in town for sometime so the City Police may do it differently now. For the record, I have always had a positive experience when dealing with either department. I think they both rank pretty highly.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    In Tippecanoe Co., when I applied, one of the clerks in the front office took the information, the money order, and the prints and IIRC, used a rubber stamp of the Sheriff's signature... I'm not sure about the rubber stamp, though, so don't quote me on it. At any rate, a few days later, I got an envelope in the mail with one copy of my LTCH app, the original of which was already en route to ISP.

We've had a change in sheriff since then, but I know him, too, and he's just as easy to get along with and work with.... and the same clerk still does the fingerprinting, I think.

I turn in my application for my Lifetime LTCH in 353 days.

Blessings,
    B

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    In unincorporated parts of Johnson County you go to the jail and they finger print you and give you your packet of info to send to the ISP, 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

:+1: for the Johnson county sheriff

Top Bottom