• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I find this very interesting that you have to make an appointment with the CHIEF of police (per telephone call... and he does not have any available appointments right now...) to apply for a IN handgun license:

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Handgun permit applicants must be a resident of the City of Carmel. Applicants may call the Carmel Police Department at 571-2574 to arrange an appointment. All gun permit applications are taken by appointment only, including renewals. Information for the permit will be taken over the telephone at the time the applicant calls for an appointment.[/FONT]

I don't live there but a good friend of mine does who wants to get his LCH and I think is mule fritters! :xmad:

Thoughts?

Jim

rcuhljr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Carmel
    I actually made a post about the same thing when I scheduled my appointment. I called about 20 days ago and they had an opening on nov 21st (I was busy) and dec 4th, which I took.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    He's done this for some time now, JMHO if he's wants to talk to you about getting or renewing your LTCH then he needs to make himself available. The wait is long enough as it is and all he's doing is making the wait longer.
    And if he's not available why can't one of his Dep. Chiefs fill in for him?
    I don't remember anywhere on the applicantion that talking to the Chief of Police is a requirement to apply for a LTCH.
    I don't think a letter to the State Police firearms section outlining the Chiefs personal requirement and (yet he's not available) to apply for a LTCH would be out of line and perhaps a letter to the Mayor also.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Handgun permit applicants must be a resident of the City of Carmel. Applicants may call the Carmel Police Department at 571-2574 to arrange an appointment. All gun permit applications are taken by appointment only, including renewals. Information for the permit will be taken over the telephone at the time the applicant calls for an appointment.[[/FONT]/quote]

It is my understanding that you can go through the county sheriff or through the State Police if you have a State Police post in your area. The "must be a resident of the City of Carmel" would only apply if going through its Chief LEO's office to apply.

I have recently moved from Delaware County this year, but I had one LTCH that I applied for through the Delaware County Sheriff's office and one that I applied for through the Albany Police Department. For the APD to approve the application I had to prove that where I lived had an Albany address and my Indiana driving license proved it.

I just recently applied for my lifetime permit through the Decatur Chief of Police's office and there was no "meet the Chief" requirement here, just leave the package with him for signature and then pick it up to mail.

A little oddity to mention here:

The Sargeant that filled out the forms with me has done so many applications this year that when it came time to fingerprint me, he was tired of getting ink on his fingers in the process so he had me do it myself in his presence. The two agencies before had someone manipulate my hands for me to gain the prints, this guy just stood and watched and made sure that clear prints were obtained.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Handgun permit applicants must be a resident of the City of Carmel. Applicants may call the Carmel Police Department at 571-2574 to arrange an appointment. All gun permit applications are taken by appointment only, including renewals. Information for the permit will be taken over the telephone at the time the applicant calls for an appointment.[[/FONT]/quote]

It is my understanding that you can go through the county sheriff or through the State Police if you have a State Police post in your area. The "must be a resident of the City of Carmel" would only apply if going through its Chief LEO's office to apply.

I have recently moved from Delaware County this year, but I had one LTCH that I applied for through the Delaware County Sheriff's office and one that I applied for through the Albany Police Department. For the APD to approve the application I had to prove that where I lived had an Albany address and my Indiana driving license proved it.

I just recently applied for my lifetime permit through the Decatur Chief of Police's office and there was no "meet the Chief" requirement here, just leave the package with him for signature and then pick it up to mail.

A little oddity to mention here:

The Sargeant that filled out the forms with me has done so many applications this year that when it came time to fingerprint me, he was tired of getting ink on his fingers in the process so he had me do it myself in his presence. The two agencies before had someone manipulate my hands for me to gain the prints, this guy just stood and watched and made sure that clear prints were obtained.

If you live within a city limits then you are required to go though the city police dept.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I think at one time the law was where the chief law enforcement officer (Chief/Sheriff) was to determine that the applicant was of proper character. This does not appear to be the case now.
    edited and annotated by AFA1CY

IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
    Sec. 3. (a) A person desiring a license to carry a handgun shall apply:
    (1) to the chief of police or corresponding law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides;
    (2) if that municipality has no such officer, or if the applicant does not reside in a municipality, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides after the applicant has obtained an application form prescribed by the superintendent; or

*** snip ***

(c) The officer to whom the application is made shall ascertain the applicant's name, full address, length of residence in the community, whether the applicant's residence is located within the limits of any city or town, the applicant's occupation, place of business or employment, criminal record, if any, and convictions (minor traffic offenses excepted), age, race, sex, nationality, date of birth, citizenship, height, weight, build, color of hair, color of eyes, scars and marks, whether the applicant has previously held an Indiana license to carry a handgun and, if so, the serial number of the license and year issued, whether the applicant's license has ever been
    suspended or revoked, and if so, the year and reason for the suspension or revocation, and the applicant's reason for desiring a license.

This information is on the application form

The officer to whom the application is made shall conduct an investigation into the applicant's official records and verify thereby the applicant's character and reputation, and shall in addition verify for accuracy the information contained in the application, and shall forward this information together with the officer's recommendation for approval or disapproval and one (1) set of legible and classifiable fingerprints of the applicant to the superintendent.
    (d) The superintendent may make whatever further investigation the superintendent deems necessary. Whenever disapproval is recommended, the officer to whom the application is made shall provide the superintendent and the applicant with the officer's complete and specific reasons, in writing, for the recommendation of disapproval.
    (e) If it appears to the superintendent that the applicant:
    (1) has a proper reason for carrying a handgun;
    (2) is of good character and reputation;
    (3) is a proper person to be licensed; and
    (4) is:
    (A) a citizen of the United States; or
    (B) not a citizen of the United States but is allowed to carry a firearm in the United States under federal law;
    the superintendent shall issue to the applicant a qualified or an unlimited license to carry any handgun lawfully possessed by the applicant. The original license shall be delivered to the licensee. A copy shall be delivered to the officer to whom the application for license was made. A copy shall be retained by the superintendent for at least four (4) years in the case of a four (4) year license. The superintendent may adopt guidelines to establish a records retention policy for a lifetime license. A four (4) year license shall be valid for a period of four (4) years from the date of issue. A lifetime license is valid for the life of the individual receiving the license. The license of police officers, sheriffs or their deputies, and law enforcement officers of the United States government who have been honorably retired by a lawfully created pension board or its equivalent after twenty (20) or more years of service, shall be valid for the life of these individuals. However, a lifetime license is automatically revoked if the license holder does not remain a proper person.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Maybe that is why we have such a high rate of permit holders. The chief, assistant chief, and IDACS coordinator are able to do them.
    When I was assistant I would come back after hours to do them for folk that had 9-5 jobs.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    When I got mine in Noblesville the receptionist just did the registration?
    Not sure if she was just a receptionist but she was the one sitting at the front desk.

Don't see any reason that the Chief has to do it himself.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    It's not that bad. I met with him two years ago when applying for my permit. He tells you straight out that since he has approve the application that he likes to meet each applicant. He tells you he won't ask why you want a LTCH and that he can only deny you if he feels you have no experience with guns. He asked me my experience, I told him, we chatted a bit and we shook hands and I went on my way. I was actually quite impressed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    :noway: Experience with guns is not a requirement for a LTCH. What part of "shall issue" is not clear?

Its good that he is a nice guy about it, but the point stands that this is all together unnecessary and uncalled for. Several members have already stated how the scheduling has delayed their application. With all due respect, his opinion of the applicant in a short interview is probably not worth too much. I suppose he feels like he is doing his duty, but I think he is interfering with a process that functions well enough on its own.

Using the interview process so that he can "meet each applicant" doesnt seem right. Why doesn't he just throw an ice cream social?

BennyBlown2v

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    IMO its bs - I have a carmel addy but live outside the city limits, so I just went to noblesville and it was done right there. They didn't question my carmel address there...so maybe just go and apply there and see if it works? if they run your address and say no, oh well wasted trip I guess.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I feel kind of left out. I applied in Oct. 2006 for my lifetime and he didn't want to see me apparently. You had to call and make an appointment with the clerk doing so they would have the fingerprint equipment but no FTF with the Chief.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    :noway: Experience with guns is not a requirement for a LTCH. What part of "shall issue" is not clear?

Its good that he is a nice guy about it, but the point stands that this is all together unnecessary and uncalled for. Several members have already stated how the scheduling has delayed their application. With all due respect, his opinion of the applicant in a short interview is probably not worth too much. I suppose he feels like he is doing his duty, but I think he is interfering with a process that functions well enough on its own.

Using the interview process so that he can "meet each applicant" doesnt seem right. Why doesn't he just throw an ice cream social?

:+1:

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    He's done this for some time now, JMHO if he's wants to talk to you about getting or renewing your LTCH then he needs to make himself available. The wait is long enough as it is and all he's doing is making the wait longer.
    And if he's not available why can't one of his Dep. Chiefs fill in for him?
    I don't remember anywhere on the applicantion that talking to the Chief of Police is a requirement to apply for a LTCH.
    I don't think a letter to the State Police firearms section outlining the Chiefs personal requirement and (yet he's not available) to apply for a LTCH would be out of line and perhaps a letter to the Mayor also.

Exactly, he doesn't want you to carry so he doesn't make himself available, he wants to make it harder/longer so you will give up.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    It's not that bad. I met with him two years ago when applying for my permit. He tells you straight out that since he has approve the application that he likes to meet each applicant. He tells you he won't ask why you want a LTCH and that he can only deny you if he feels you have no experience with guns. He asked me my experience, I told him, we chatted a bit and we shook hands and I went on my way. I was actually quite impressed.

Been said before but I will repeat.

The Chief or Sheriff CAN NOT approve or deny your application.

That is up to the Indiana State Police. End of story.

Top Bottom