• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Apr 7, 2011
    I'm looking at a cap and ball conversion for an older Uberti Remington 1858. How much gunsmithing does it require.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    That depends on the kit you get and how far you want to go. Some require you to take the cylinder out to reload, these required no modification to the revolver at all. Gated conversions will allow you to reload with the cylinder in the gun if you grind out a channel in the recoil shield. When you do this your gun is now considered as firearm legally instead of a BP replica.

Kirst has good videos that can explain it in more detail if you are using their conversion.

Dog1

Master
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I have the Howell 45 Colt conversion cylinder for my 1860 Uberti. You have to take it down to load and unload, but it functions fine and is quite accurate.

One thing-if you get one, do not dry fire it. Per the instructions that is no bueno

indiucky

Grandmaster
    I have the Howell 45 Colt conversion cylinder for my 1860 Uberti. You have to take it down to load and unload, but it functions fine and is quite accurate.

One thing-if you get one, do not dry fire it. Per the instructions that is no bueno

Also wise to go with a lighter main spring on the 1858 conversions....the factory spring has a little too much "oompf"....

Kdf101

Expert
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    In the movie Pale Rider, I think that is the one, there is a scene where Eastwood rides into town for the showdown. After killing most of the bad guy side kicks, he changes cylinders on his pistol as he is waiting in the street for his opponent.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    A trick that's a lot easier to do with an 1858 Remington than a Colt 1860 Army.;)
    And what they don't tell you is that after one cylinder, that pin is so gunked up you have to smack it out of the gun with a tool.

Iroquois

Expert
    Apr 7, 2011
    Watched a video about the gunking problem and black powder. Petroleum products and black powder creat hard residue. Use natural lube like lard or vegetable oil shortening.
    Back to my question, I have an older Uberti, and the ad says that I might need some modifications to get the cylinder to fit. I'm looking at the Taylor brand with 6 firing pins.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Watched a video about the gunking problem and black powder. Petroleum products and black powder creat hard residue. Use natural lube like lard or vegetable oil shortening.
    Back to my question, I have an older Uberti, and the ad says that I might need some modifications to get the cylinder to fit. I'm looking at the Taylor brand with 6 firing pins.

I can certainly confirm on the natural black powder lubes. I use a 50/50 lard (no salt) bees wax combo on my various military muzzle loaders and it makes it really easy to keep them clean. I can even fire a pretty substantial number of rounds through the rifles (well, substantial by ML standards) with no difficulty from build up.

Iroquois

Expert
    Apr 7, 2011
    Well, I bought the Remington style replacement cylinder, the type with 6 firing pins. I have learned to roll it in with some dexterity. I hope to get as good as Eastwood some day. I only have one complaint. It smashes my middle finger when it goes off, because of the grip position. I'm trying some lighter loads today, I hope it helps. If not, I will be looking to modify the trigger guard or the grip to reposition my middle finger. My hands are too old to abuse anymore.....

walkercolt

Plinker
    Aug 31, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    I bought two .45 Howell conversion cylinders from Midway last spring when they were on sale, one for a Uberti 1858 Remington New Model Army and one for a Ruger Old Army. Both are drop in and function fine, but I always have heard good things about Kirst.

Top Bottom