Can a Tanfoglio Witness Elite Match in .40S&W be re-chambered to 10mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I’ve been wanting a Tanfoglio in 10mm for a bit. I recently found a good deal on a Witness Elite Match but it’s in .40S&W. That particular model is discontinued and 10mm replacement barrels are no longer available. So, is having it re-chambered for 10mm a viable option? I realize I may also have to find 10mm mags and upgrade the recoil spring. Thanks in advance for any input.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd rather keep hunting for a 10mm. Not easy, but on the safer side.

Springs and mags would be the easy part.

Reaming a barrel is doable, but I think a made for 10mm barrel is a better option, even if you have to wait and hunt it down.

Contact IFG if you have not yet.

Firehawk

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I'd rather keep hunting for a 10mm. Not easy, but on the safer side.

Springs and mags would be the easy part.

Reaming a barrel is doable, but I think a made for 10mm barrel is a better option, even if you have to wait and hunt it down.

Contact IFG if you have not yet.
    The .40 is already a done deal. Just waiting on shipping. For the price I can enjoy it the way it is, but I might enjoy it more in 10mm!

I looked at IFG and EAA this morning and didn’t see any Witness Match barrels. But I didn’t contact them and ask. Maybe I’ll give that a try. Seems like re-chambering would be cheaper though if it’s doable.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’m not all that familiar with all the Witness Models, I do have a full size and Compact 10mm with Wonder finish, but is the 40 built on the large frame or small frame? Again I’m not that familiar with them but I know they have two different frame sizes. The 10mm needs the large frame.
    Mine shoot well, never shot the Compact yet, but they are HEAVY guns! Witness makes great pistols and people are starting to seek them out.

Firehawk

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I’m not all that familiar with all the Witness Models, I do have a full size and Compact 10mm with Wonder finish, but is the 40 built on the large frame or small frame? Again I’m not that familiar with them but I know they have two different frame sizes. The 10mm needs the large frame.
    Mine shoot well, never shot the Compact yet, but they are HEAVY guns! Witness makes great pistols and people are starting to seek them out.
    The .40 is also large frame.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    10mm chamber pressure (SAAMI) is 37+k while .40S&W is 35k. Plus whatever loss of necessary material from the barrel needed to go the extra seating depth.

Can it be done, yes. Should it? Up to you, but it’s a serious loss of safety factor and I’d be leery of running full house rounds in it, and some poor shmuck down the road who doesn’t know to take it easy could be hurt.

Top Bottom