Camp Atterbury July 23—Jul 24: 500 yards of rifle challenge! Who's going?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Well I'm home finally. Got home from Columbus regional around lunch.
    Looking back on Sunday I'm not sure when I should have taken a break. I do know I didn't eat much at lunch and had no apetite I do recall having some leg cramping mid afternoon. But at no point did I ever feel like I was entering territory I hadn't experienced before. That is until we started back to the parking lot. I didn't walk the road. I went straight across the range in order to get to my truck and AC as quick as possible. I think that power walk was the heat stroke icing right there. I should have laid down in the shade instead of heading for the truck.
    Time i got to the truck I had what sounded like hair driers blowing in my ears. Wasted no time getting on the road. I live 20 minutes from the range when my head isn't swimming from too much heat but it took me 30 to pull into the drive. Had to have my son help me in the house. Got inside and jumped into a tub full of cold water. I figure things would start to get better pretty quick once I got my temperature down. Nothing doing. Things didn't improve and at some point there was a sudden realization that I was in much bigger trouble than I initially thought.
    Had the wife call the ambulance since I was dealing with diarrhea and vomiting and knew I would never live down messing her car
    Got to the hospital still feeling like I was gonna die(no really) and they got me hooked up to two IVs one with magnesium and one with potassium. Half an hour later I had a siezure from my sodium levels fluctuating wildly. Evidently,while I was out, I tried to bite through my tongue as the whole right side of it is purple and bloody.
    They finally got me stabilized after a cat scan and oxygen for a while. I don't remember anything after about a half hour after we got to the hospital until Monday morning. Even then my memory was spotty and unreliable at best. My wife said at one point when she asked me who she was I didn't recognize her. I struggled to find the right words for normal conversation most of the day Saturday.
    Feeling some better today but my body feels like it was beat by five guys with sticks for an hour. Mind is still foggy and slowed.
    I did enjoy the shoot though, right up to when I got in trouble. Ill do it again but IT WILL NOT BE HOT WHEN I DO!

Thanks to the volunteers and to Alan for the loot, maybe I'll win something next time!

Wow.
    Really glad you are home and doing great.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've had it too and should have noticed your earlier symptoms when talking to you. Sorry. :(

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Indeed. The signs you speak of will help many of us in the future for sure. Sorry it had to happen, but many have learned from it.
    I myself had no idea that electrolytes were needed (and not just water). I heard it all the time, but just didn't understand it. Now I sorta do

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My company's clinics can make injectable quality RO water. We are warned to not drink it because it'll pull valuable chems out of our bodies the same way we use it to pull toxins out of a person with renal disease. Lots of unfortunate but valuable lessons here.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My company's clinics can make injectable quality RO water. We are warned to not drink it because it'll pull valuable chems out of our bodies the same way we use it to pull toxins out of a person with renal disease. Lots of unfortunate but valuable lessons here.

Hop, I was going to ask that exact question. We once had a little cat get poisoned by something she ate and they tried to flush her out with water. Sadly she didn't make it. I was wondering if too much pure water does exactly what you say here. It seems like Gatorade or something with electrolytes and other additives just makes more sense.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have a problem with losing electrolytes. I sweat like a horse. I will cramp very badly if I do not keep hydrated and my electrolytes up (all year even in winter).

My solution is Quarterade.
    I buy the large Gatorade powder for about $8 at Walmart. Instead of 1 scoop per quart I use 1 scoop per gallon and add 1 teaspoon of iodized salt and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. I pour this into quart bottles and guzzle all day. I use it at ambient temperature to assure it goes into my system rapidly. I will drink 4 to 8 quarts a day.

You may think this is too much salt but it doesn't affect my blood pressure. The reason salt tablets are no longer issued is that they are dangerous without enough water, the mixture solves that problem.

If I do dehydrate and lose too many electrolytes I will cramp. When I do I mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 8 ounces of hot tap water. This relieves cramps in minutes.

I learned recently that if you are overheated it IS good to drink ice water to help lower core temperature.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Friggin christ... I'm done with you people. First I have to do math... now science?
    What is WRONG with you all?!?!?! I just wanted to shoot well. :D

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Also: Pedialyte.

Drink it. If it tastes bad, you don't need it. If it tastes good, keep drinking a little every little while.

Simple barometer.

-Nate

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I've been spending at least two hours a day, almost every day, working out this month... outdoors. It's usually nearly an hour cycling and well over an hour walking. I haven't avoided the heat--just carried straight on through it. It was horrible at first, but even in just a month's time i can sense my tolerance and endurance improving. Not going to stop now--it's become a lifestyle, including tracking everything I eat and improving my diet. Now I know why our Dad was such a tough SOB in a race car during those hundred-degree State Fair Silver Crown races--he was simply conditioned for it by his outdoor, workaholic lifestyle.

No way I'd have made it this time. No way. Next year, I'll be ready.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I work outside in the heat normally. I'm a carpenter so I thought I was good to go. I just pushed beyond a few symptoms I shouldn't have. Leg cramps and my heart beating in my ears. Now that I look back on it I don't know why I didn't stop. It certainly wasn't worth two days in the hospital.

Heres what I got from RobbymaQ;

I won the Viper 4-12 MOA scope from Alan on Saturday at the end of the day. While I could find a use for it eventually? I have no use for it at the moment, and can't afford to build a rifle around an optic.

If you have a use for it, it's yours. Hell you earned it far more than i ever could have!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    You're going to ruin my rep as a mall ninja cop wannabe nazi moderator!
    I won't sell it... I can use it on a ar-10 build that won't happen for a year or two.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You can sell it, or trade it, it wont hurt my feelings. Its yours, and I would much rather you have something you would use, than something that would collect dust.

If you want to trade it in on instore credit, that can me worked out aswell.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    On the pictures note, if any of you need copies of any of the pics of you - just let me know and I can send you full sized copies, etc.

28565752406_aba3b9acb2_o.jpg

Last edited:

Washington

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2016
    Solsberry
    Far left side of the firing line right next to Nigel shooting irons?

If so, I guess we blame the Brit for not looking out for the man beside him. For me its always nice to recognize screen names, or recognize faces I have talked to at shows, but have enough down time with the individual to feel comfortable joking around with them, and leave the shoot calling them a friend.

I believe it was George (not 100% sure) who gave Mae the patch, but that made her weekend that you just happened to have it with you. For those who did not share lunch with us Saturday afternoon, I forgot something at home that was pretty vital to giving out prizes at the shoot. Naturally during my speech explaining what I forgot I blamed my wife who was standing there giving me "that look". Of course I wasn't going to take the blame when I can pawn it off on her (I cant be alone in doing this). Out of the blue, George throws here a patch that says "under the bus". The timing was priceless.

That was me, George. I just signed up for INGO. I also was the one with the 3 rounds left at the end of the day. Tater told me what to pack though.

Skeeter24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2015
    Greenfield
    techres, you are a photographic genius. Your photos capture the shoot and help me to remember and re-live each moment. The content and quality of your photos are outstanding. I am thinking of framing a few for my man cave.

Top Bottom