Camp Atterbury July 23—Jul 24: 500 yards of rifle challenge! Who's going?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    "Man, this sure is fun. Not even this heat can stop how fun this is. I'm having a great time. Learning a lot, too." - Shooter (Verls65?) at 1730 on Sunday afternoon.

I'd been ready to throw in the towel since, well, 0800. I hate hot weather. Absolutely hate it. I'd considered skipping out on this event because it was going to be hot. Then I remembered there'd be people there who'd suck it up and get out on the line anyway. Americans who'd decided to get off their couches, forego the birthday parties or soccer games or whatever else they had planned because they knew the skillset of Marksmanship was something worth mastering. This event truly was a "test yourself, test your gear" type of event. Two whole days of being "in the field" with only what you could carry and very little shade to speak of. The majority of the weekend was standing in direct sunlight and trying to find that happy balance of, "This sucks, I'm going home" or "Suck it up, drink more water." Tough conditions, to be sure.

I noticed the "outdoor trades" guys didn't seem too upset over it. They'd sip a little water or gatorade here and there but this was just another day at the office for them. That was lesson number 1 for my pansy, air conditioned @$$. Saturday almost got me. It'd been quite a while since I'd spent prolonged periods outside in heat like this. I was out of juice by the end of the day and had it not been for a strong recharge at Montana Mikes, I probably would've bit the dust. Sunday was much better. Cpt. Caveman loaned me one of his shamwow type rags and it did wonders to keep me cooler. At the end of the day when I gave it back he told me he was smoked. I wasn't surprised to hear about his dehydration (late Sun night) but he hadn't shown any signs until the very, very end. Heat stress injuries are hard that way. Sometimes you don't know until it's too late. I don't think he was trying to be a tough guy and keep quiet, I think it just compounded all day and there at the very end it got him. I was hoping the cool drive home would be enough for him. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. (Good luck, Cpt. Caveman! Thanks again for keeping me cool.)

I'd like to encourage everyone to speak up as soon as you feel it. Don't be shy to take a break and sit in the shade sipping water or gatorade. Take the time to take your hat & boots off, loosen belts/pants, soak up some AC, even. Heat stress is extremely dangerous and it's by far the number one cause of injuries on the shooting range. And, as our outdoor office guys have shown us... get a little time out in the elements. Go chase those Pokemon!

On to the shooting!

The most impressive thing for me about this event was we had, what, three weeks to prep for it? Awesome job by the organizers and sponsor. (Special thanks to Huff, YHJ, Cynthia and Alan for getting this going.) And to get 18 shooters to show up in 100+ heat index is awesome. Well done, everyone. Stuff like this gives me hope for the future.

I was in the pits all day Saturday and it was cool to see the marksmanship come together... and then drift due to heat and fatigue. However, shooters were able to gather all their data out to 500 yards and be ready to shoot Sunday. Early morning we picked teams just like 6th grade gym class and sent one squad to the pits while the other squad shot. Competition was tight because a bag of melty Skittles was on the line. "Skittles Breaaaaaaaaaaak." After one round of sighters coming in from 500 it was time to shoot for score. Team Unbridled shot pretty well and as Slim's Shadies headed up to the range following our synchronized target raising displays (we did the wave, up and downs, one side to the other - it got pretty serious) we could still hear Jimmy in our ears. Welcome to the Jungle, baby. After another hot afternoon (and a pretty nice 30 minute check fire) we got down to business. Unfortunately, Team Unbridled edged us out by less than one point average. They won the Skittles. But two of our guys won the Vortex SWAG. Huzzah!!! (Thanks again, Alan.) We finished up the day with pictures of "what you used, what you didn't use" and then scattered around the Hoosier as we headed for home.

Atterbury events are always special. Make sure you're at the next one. And don't forget to hydrate!

0800temp_zpsxjvhppui.jpg

84.5 degrees at the 0800 roll call. Huff gives us the game plan and runs down the day's activities.

rangecontrol_zps9wndjok6.jpg

Huff, Rayne and I as he "Calls Range Control." (Inside joke for anyone who's ever done events at Atterbury. To be certified as a RSO or to run the events you have to take a 25 question written test. There are a few question on speed limits and making sure you fly the red flag but pretty much every other answer is "Call Range Control.")

am_zpstbn38y5e.jpg

So wet the moisture was just hanging in the air. Yuck!

safetybriefing_zps65lufgwl.jpg

90.4 at the 0830 safety briefing.

pits2_zpszgbxjaxm.jpg

92.4 as RobbyMaQ, techres, chubbs, and Verls65 get the target backers going.

pits_zpsibeboj8b.jpg

Doc Hill puttin' in work as what looks like the entire INGO members list watches him. (Sorry, Doc!)

pits3_zpsj18f2wta.jpg

Day one I wasn't a shooter... I was just an INNOCENT BYSTANDER.

Special thanks to Unbridled Liberty, Doc Hill, and Dirk for running the pits with me all day Saturday. These guys gave up the chance to shoot and, instead, worked their butts off to make sure everyone else got to get good data and sighters. The selfless efforts of a volunteer are invaluable. Huzzah, gentlemen. I'm honored to have had the opportunity to work with you.

bunker_zpskmtalrle.jpg

We had a slight respite from the heat. There are a few "bunkers" along the pit wall and this one was a few degrees cooler from the outside and shady. Plus, the wall was about 65 degrees so it was possible to get some of that geothermal cooling by leaning against it. Amazing how much of a difference it made.

montanamikes_zps0ikvvas6.jpg

Steak, ribs, shrimp, three big ol' beers, and this Lil' Jon inspired chalice of brownies & ice cream had me feeling a lot better. My skin was still hot until about midnight.

slimshadies_zpsyxafpmiq.jpg

Slim's Shadies in the pits early Sunday morning. We did an impromptu lesson on, "Thinking in MOA." The stick I'm holding is calibrated for use at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards. It's used to measure how far the groups are from center of target and the pit worker can call back to the line with efficiency, "Shooter on target 31 is 4 moa high, 2 moa left." The trick is to remember where you're shooting from and measure in moa blocks instead of inches. That way you can skip one whole step of the IMC process and rapidly make click adjustments to your sighting system.

sunafternoon_zpsylp5y9ga.jpg

Sunday afternoon's temp of 96.9 was pretty nasty. Not sure what the index was but everyone was soaked. Notice also the little wind wheel wasn't spinning. We'd catch a breeze here and there but it was mostly a 3 mph little kiss on the cheek or a gust of 4.8 that would cause everyone to stop, lean their heads back, close their eyes and say, "Dear, sweet little 8 pound 6 ounce baby Jesus. Thank you for this wind."

hop_zpspm8dpqfv.jpg

Hop had the right idea!

day2winner_zpswebhonag.jpg

Jim won the binoculars from A&A Optics. Perfect for doing KD shoots like this one. Day 2 winner!

day2winner2_zps2mis5y45.jpg

Alan presents Alan with a new scope. Day 2 winner! "Victory or Death."

A&A Optics does so much for the cause of Liberty. Please check them out! "It's for the big win!"

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Say a little prayer for your compatriot, Captain Caveman. Just got the news from my his wife. They're at the hospital with heat exhaustion.

Little brother is no drama queen. If they're at the hospital its serious.

Any update on Captain Caveman? He looked good on Saturday and didn't appear to have any heat related issues going on then. Sorry to hear that Sunday took him down after the event. Let us know how he is doing please?

NEVER Mind! Apparently there was a page three that I didn't click too. duh :facepalm:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    My name is chris. I was the guy in the boonie hat and bdu pants on the second day. Thanks for the concern fellas but I did survive the night. Cant remember ever having a more difficult physically rough time. My body shut down and I was in a bad way no joke. Dr said my electrolytes were out of wack. I think ill live. Do the research before you go out in heat like that. I should have know better than to push like I did. Dr said I drank too much water and that got my electrolytes outta wack. It was terrible. Still in the hospital thiz morning getting IV solution to bring things back into shape.
    Had a great time at the shoot though and did learn a bunch.

I tell you what, just can't leave you boys alone to take care of yourselves. Sorry to hear it got you down. Did I not ask you on Saturday if you were drinking any Gatorade? My bad if I did not. You have to replenish your electrolytes when you sweat as much as we did this weekend. I'd be interested in hearing what your symptoms where and when you started noticing them along with what made you decide on going to the hospital. I know that's kinda personal information if you don't want to share or post it here, I understand. If you'd share with just me a PM would work. The reason I ask is for my EMS training. To help me be aware of what you guys are going through so we can try to stop it before it ends up being this serious again.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    slimshadies_zpsyxafpmiq.jpg

Slim's Shadies in the pits early Sunday morning. We did an impromptu lesson on, "Thinking in MOA." The stick I'm holding is calibrated for use at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards. It's used to measure how far the groups are from center of target and the pit worker can call back to the line with efficiency, "Shooter on target 31 is 4 moa high, 2 moa left." The trick is to remember where you're shooting from and measure in moa blocks instead of inches. That way you can skip one whole step of the IMC process and rapidly make click adjustments to your sighting system.

OH MY GOODNESS! The sticks are still around! I remember making the first few ... I know I made the one you are holding (I think it's the only white one).

Still remember the wife looking at me funny and asking me "what the ... ???" when I was making them. I got all excited and tried explaining IMC to her and ended up with the "Sorry I asked" look. She hates math. It was late.

Memories.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    My name is chris. I was the guy in the boonie hat and bdu pants on the second day. Thanks for the concern fellas but I did survive the night. Cant remember ever having a more difficult physically rough time. My body shut down and I was in a bad way no joke. Dr said my electrolytes were out of wack. I think ill live. Do the research before you go out in heat like that. I should have know better than to push like I did. Dr said I drank too much water and that got my electrolytes outta wack. It was terrible. Still in the hospital thiz morning getting IV solution to bring things back into shape.
    Had a great time at the shoot though and did learn a bunch.

Far left side of the firing line right next to Nigel shooting irons?

If so, I guess we blame the Brit for not looking out for the man beside him. For me its always nice to recognize screen names, or recognize faces I have talked to at shows, but have enough down time with the individual to feel comfortable joking around with them, and leave the shoot calling them a friend.

I believe it was George (not 100% sure) who gave Mae the patch, but that made her weekend that you just happened to have it with you. For those who did not share lunch with us Saturday afternoon, I forgot something at home that was pretty vital to giving out prizes at the shoot. Naturally during my speech explaining what I forgot I blamed my wife who was standing there giving me "that look". Of course I wasn't going to take the blame when I can pawn it off on her (I cant be alone in doing this). Out of the blue, George throws here a patch that says "under the bus". The timing was priceless.

Last edited:

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Glad to hear you are okay Chris, you and WildDuece had me worried.

I was watching everyone's intake and while I encouraged it, I noticed some were drinking... dare I say... too much. I am not a doctor and I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn last night. Take the rest of this post as worth what you paid for it.

I drank 2 bottles of Power Aid Saturday. One before lunch and one about three pm. I had two 16 oz bottles of water prior to lunch, and a third with lunch. I drank three more 16 oz bottles of water between lunch and 7pm. the last bottle on the way home. I did use the restroom before lunch, in the afternoon, and when I got home. Each time was fairly clear and a good amount.

I drank a bottle of Power Aid sometime between 9 am and 10 am Sunday, one at lunch, and another around 3pm. I drank a 16 oz bottle of water before we hit the line in the morning. Two more by the time lunch was over. I drank two more by 4pm, another right away, then a Power Aid on the way home. Rest room use was the same on Sunday.

I snacked on crackers, six packs for the weekend. Breakfast bars, two for the weekend. Jerkey, about 12 oz on Sunday. A handful of pecans on Sunday as well. I had a robust PBJ sandwich for lunch each day along with a single serving of Apple Sauce. I was fine when I got home both days and spent the day outside today at work except for the hour I ate lunch.

When AB told me to give her the radio and get in the truck Sunday afternoon I questioned it, but I did not argue. I would have been fine I think to stay in the sun, but I would have felt it today. It's been over a year since I spent an entire weekend on a firing line. She was right to send me to the truck. We cannot have fragile egos in those conditions.

Lastly, the only thing hotter than tactical clothing is a sleeping bag, in my opinion. Before anyone starts typing, yes, I did wear tactical clothing for a living, both in the heat and the cold. West Texas can hit 116 in the summer and 0 in the winter. With 10 to 40 mph wind all year long. I wore loosely fitted, breathable pants and shirt and kept myself covered to stave off the sun. Light colors rock.

The point of all of this is, you need to know what your body requires to endure the weather we experienced this past weekend. You absolutely can over hydrate and rob your system of what it needs to remain healthy. There is no, IN MY OPINION, chart to tell you what to drink and what quantities to drink it in. Only your body knows for certain.

I learned humping a flightline in West Texas for 16 years how much fluid intake I need. Most times, I can judge my own condition and adjust my intake to stay balanced. You might need more water, or more carbs, or more salt than me, etc. You might need less. The only way to know is to spend the time in the environment to find out. Bicycle, walk, hike, play ball, go to an uncovered firing range (if you can find one), boat, anything. Drive your car/truck without the AC on "all the time".

Get outside more.

Everyone of your instructors, me included, have been there. Screaming headaches, slurred speech, clammy skin, eyes that look like pee holes in a snow bank. We all think we can "fight through it." We can't, our bodies are not made that way. Even Seals get pulled down and told to stop and sit during training. Heat tolerance may be your most valuable learning experience of the weekend.

Caveman and Deuce did not fail. If anyone failed, it was us for accepting their answer that they were okay. It was our job to keep them healthy.

DAve

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    The next lesson.

I was impressed with how well everyone did. I was most impressed with how well everyone came "properly" prepared. The kit dump at the end of Sunday was a great exercise.

Now, you got data. What to do with it.

I recommend that you take a couple of sheets of paper, or a spreadsheet if you like that sort of thing, and plot your come ups. Put the ranges down the side and put your sight adjustments next to them in the order they were made. Use a column for Saturday and a column for Sunday. Plot out your adjustments for going forward and backwards. Pay attention to how they compare.

Then take your witness targets and look at how well your adjustments worked. Write the adjustment you made at each range next to the corresponding silhouette on your witness target.

- Were your adjustments good?
    - Were your adjustments the same on Saturday and Sunday or did you record different dope on each day?
    - Roughly calculate the correction you would have needed to make "all hits" on each target at each range.

You should have several groups of sight dope now. Get another sheet of paper, or excel sheet, and make five columns. Your adjustments Saturday going each direction. Your adjustments Sunday going from 400 to 100 yards. Your calculated corrections needed for each witness target. Write the ranges down the left side of the sheet. Write your sight adjustments for each range in the appropriate column.

Your true sight adjustment for each range lies in those columns. Average the sight settings at each range and that is the best dope you have for your rifle, today. Bring those settings with you next time.

It was a great weekend and I enjoyed every minute of it. Thank you all for coming.

"Victory or Death"

DAve

(Now Ol' Huff can beat you all up)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    The 'gear you didn't use' is a good idea! When I unpacked the next day, I was assessing the gear I didn't use. Nothing really stood out. The things I didn't use, I would still bring: Small med kit/pack in a sandwich baggie (ibuprofen (that some melted btw??), bandaids, small gauze pack, etc). Stingeeze (for AFTER bug bites). Spare sharpee. Torniquete. Rag. Keys. Cellphone. Small 2x3 notepad (I wrote all my notes on the data sheets). 2 extra 10 round mags. I'd still bring them in the event someone else needed them, or if my primaries failed.

All of it fit with room to spare in a day pack with 2 liter camel back water 'bottle'. Not a fan of the camel back. First bit is always really warm. and difficult to suck the water. I may need to find another brand.

My cut up tube sock as an 'elbow pad' worked awesome. My elbows are always dry and cracking. Though the grass wasn't very dry at all. It allowed me to protect my elbow, without all the sweat and bulk of a regular elbow pad. And I could always pull it down like a wristband to give my elbow some air.

I got a bit lightheaded in the shower the next morning. Reading through everyone else's posts, I'm going to guess electrolytes. Always learning something :)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The 'gear you didn't use' is a good idea! When I unpacked the next day, I was assessing the gear I didn't use. Nothing really stood out. The things I didn't use, I would still bring: Small med kit/pack in a sandwich baggie (ibuprofen (that some melted btw??), bandaids, small gauze pack, etc). Stingeeze (for AFTER bug bites). Spare sharpee. Torniquete. Rag. Keys. Cellphone. Small 2x3 notepad (I wrote all my notes on the data sheets). 2 extra 10 round mags. I'd still bring them in the event someone else needed them, or if my primaries failed.

All of it fit with room to spare in a day pack with 2 liter camel back water 'bottle'. Not a fan of the camel back. First bit is always really warm. and difficult to suck the water. I may need to find another brand.

My cut up tube sock as an 'elbow pad' worked awesome. My elbows are always dry and cracking. Though the grass wasn't very dry at all. It allowed me to protect my elbow, without all the sweat and bulk of a regular elbow pad. And I could always pull it down like a wristband to give my elbow some air.

I got a bit lightheaded in the shower the next morning. Reading through everyone else's posts, I'm going to guess electrolytes. Always learning something :)

On the "gear we didnt use" we had 1 guy that had 3 rounds he didnt use, and that was it. That is a win of a pack right there.

Skeeter24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2015
    Greenfield
    So my story of the heat goes like this. As we walked from the 200 to the 300 yard line collecting our DOPE on Saturday, I felt a little short of breath. No big deal, it was like breathing in stove exhaust and it was kinda hot. Shot groups on 300 yard line were good but I mentioned to Rayne to keep an eye on me as a precaution. The walk from 300 to 400 gassed me! I shot three horizontal shots across the board, 15 MOA wide (Target 31). I knew I was done and went to Huff's ambulance and sat on the tail gate. I called Rayne over and she and Mae went to work on me with ice on the wrist, arms, and neck. Next they handed me a Gatorade and I just sat for what seemed like 30 minutes. I noticed several others took a knee at that point too. The shooters that that were gtg shot another string or two and we were ready to move to 500 yards. I was good at that point, got my gear and rifle and shot a tight group at 500 yards...twice. I was well hydrated on arrival and drank lots of water throughout the day. Not enough Gatorade though. I only had one or two up to that point but when I sat, I just felt like I need shade and relief, I could tell that my body temperature was about to climb through the roof but we got it under control before a total fail. I was glad to finish the day on my feet. Sunday I added a Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad to my neck and went with a light colored nylon shirt and tactical pants. I felt good throughout the day Sunday....well as good as I could under the conditions. I had an awesome time. I am motivated to become a better shooter. Thanks to Rayne and Mae, and all the crew who made this such a great weekend.-Scott

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    I had an awesome time. I am motivated to become a better shooter. Thanks to Rayne and Mae, and all the crew who made this such a great weekend.-Scott

This guy smiles, all the time. I don't think he ever met anyone he didn't like and has fun everywhere he goes. It was a pleasure to work with you Scott.

DAve

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    So my story of the heat goes like this. As we walked from the 200 to the 300 yard line collecting our DOPE on Saturday, I felt a little short of breath. No big deal, it was like breathing in stove exhaust and it was kinda hot. Shot groups on 300 yard line were good but I mentioned to Rayne to keep an eye on me as a precaution. The walk from 300 to 400 gassed me! I shot three horizontal shots across the board, 15 MOA wide (Target 31). I knew I was done and went to Huff's ambulance and sat on the tail gate. I called Rayne over and she and Mae went to work on me with ice on the wrist, arms, and neck. Next they handed me a Gatorade and I just sat for what seemed like 30 minutes. I noticed several others took a knee at that point too. The shooters that that were gtg shot another string or two and we were ready to move to 500 yards. I was good at that point, got my gear and rifle and shot a tight group at 500 yards...twice. I was well hydrated on arrival and drank lots of water throughout the day. Not enough Gatorade though. I only had one or two up to that point but when I sat, I just felt like I need shade and relief, I could tell that my body temperature was about to climb through the roof but we got it under control before a total fail. I was glad to finish the day on my feet. Sunday I added a Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad to my neck and went with a light colored nylon shirt and tactical pants. I felt good throughout the day Sunday....well as good as I could under the conditions. I had an awesome time. I am motivated to become a better shooter. Thanks to Rayne and Mae, and all the crew who made this such a great weekend.-Scott

That folks, is one great first post. Welcome to INGO and thanks for coming. I wish I could have been there.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I salute all of you who braved day 2. I wussed out. My lips were burnt. My eyelids were burnt. Whole upper body burnt thru my long sleeve spf 50 shirt. I was toasty. I woke up at 6am and quickly decided as I was loading the truck that staying home was the smart decision for me.
    Since I work outside, I decided that another 10 hour day in those conditions would make me miserable at work this week. There's little that will keep me off a firing line, but a nice paycheck is one of those things.

Thanks to all the pit workers, rso's, instructors, a&a optics, the first aid crew, and everyone who made this event happen. Hopefully the next one isn't another 2 years away!

Nice to see I wasn't the only one who deployed the tactical umbrella since Nigel was on my a$$ all day Saturday ;)

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Thanks to all the folks who 'finally' made this happen. How sweet the reward.

Cindy, Aimee, Mae, Rayne, Huff, DAve, Hop, Kevin, Aimee's husband (sorry big guy), Techres, Slim, Alan, Tater. Matt and Dirk for their additional pit work. And everyone else for making it happen.

Man what a time, even if I was picked last!

No better way to test yourself than to get out there and do it.

Upon reflection I can't even say I was disappointed in my scores. Sure I'd have liked to done better but the whole experience is really what it's all about. Not the score, not a patch. Thanks for letting me be part of it.

First time working the pits for me and I have to tell you I enjoyed that as much as the shooting. A big thanks to Slim, Matt and Dirk for making it happen day 1.

Thanks to Alan and Mae for the support and I'll be keeping an eye out for the Richmond KD.

If I could do it all again I would in a heartbeat. Thanks again to ALL involved and see you on the line.

Nigel

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Well I'm home finally. Got home from Columbus regional around lunch.
    Looking back on Sunday I'm not sure when I should have taken a break. I do know I didn't eat much at lunch and had no apetite I do recall having some leg cramping mid afternoon. But at no point did I ever feel like I was entering territory I hadn't experienced before. That is until we started back to the parking lot. I didn't walk the road. I went straight across the range in order to get to my truck and AC as quick as possible. I think that power walk was the heat stroke icing right there. I should have laid down in the shade instead of heading for the truck.
    Time i got to the truck I had what sounded like hair driers blowing in my ears. Wasted no time getting on the road. I live 20 minutes from the range when my head isn't swimming from too much heat but it took me 30 to pull into the drive. Had to have my son help me in the house. Got inside and jumped into a tub full of cold water. I figure things would start to get better pretty quick once I got my temperature down. Nothing doing. Things didn't improve and at some point there was a sudden realization that I was in much bigger trouble than I initially thought.
    Had the wife call the ambulance since I was dealing with diarrhea and vomiting and knew I would never live down messing her car
    Got to the hospital still feeling like I was gonna die(no really) and they got me hooked up to two IVs one with magnesium and one with potassium. Half an hour later I had a siezure from my sodium levels fluctuating wildly. Evidently,while I was out, I tried to bite through my tongue as the whole right side of it is purple and bloody.
    They finally got me stabilized after a cat scan and oxygen for a while. I don't remember anything after about a half hour after we got to the hospital until Monday morning. Even then my memory was spotty and unreliable at best. My wife said at one point when she asked me who she was I didn't recognize her. I struggled to find the right words for normal conversation most of the day Saturday.
    Feeling some better today but my body feels like it was beat by five guys with sticks for an hour. Mind is still foggy and slowed.
    I did enjoy the shoot though, right up to when I got in trouble. Ill do it again but IT WILL NOT BE HOT WHEN I DO!

Thanks to the volunteers and to Alan for the loot, maybe I'll win something next time!

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Glad to hear you're better now.

I searched my memory for any signs you showed because I was somewhat surprised at the end of the day when you told me you were leaving. There was such a huge change between then and when we were on the line. The only thing I could remember was on the final test at 200 you let out a really heavy sigh...at the same time I did. You pressed on strong so I didn't think much of it.

I do remember someone saying, "Charlie horse, charlie horse, charlie horse" but I was down shooting and couldn't tell who it was. I want to say it was at the 300?

I'd call cramps second level warnings. It's okay to feel hot, be thirsty, start to feel a little fatigued because all that can be overcome pretty quickly with water/salt/sugar. When your body starts to cramp, it's passed time to take a break. Headaches, light-headedness, focus issues, mush mouth, clammy skin - basically all the physical signs - mean it's time to stop immediately and seek help.

We have to help each other look at heat injuries as injuries and not as someone being soft. We're so tough out there we don't want to admit we're hurt. This is no different than an ankle sprain (though waaaaay more dangerous) but none of us wanted to bow out and say, "I'm done." I applaud you for making the call there at the end that you had to hit the AC and head home. I wish all of us would have noticed sooner. Sometimes there's not much to notice, especially when symptoms don't show until the very end of the day as we're wrapping up.

Sorry it had to be you... but I think you taught us all a lesson. See you in fall!

Top Bottom