• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Simply looking for the real value with in the silver itself, not interested in the collectability of a certain kind of coin. It could just say "silver .999 pure" on it alone and that would do for me. Proofs or rounds are the way to go right?

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    That would be the way to get the most silver for your bucks, but there's something to be said for recognizability of what you've got when it comes time to trade or barter. Circulated silver coins are easily identified, but silver bullion--rounds or bars--may require assay if their value increases to the point that counterfeiting becomes an issue. Today that may sound far-fetched, but at one time counterfeiting of precious metals was quite common. That's not to say the same thing couldn't be done with coins, but it's a lot less common since the buyer would presumably know what the coin is supposed to look like and would require a lot more skill and time to produce than a bar or disk of white metal stamped .999 fine.

It depends what's important to you. If this is not a concern for you, silver rounds or bars have less of a premium and are usually a better buy.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Its a worthwhile investment no matter which denomination. "Watch" auctions for a particular type of coin or bar, figure out what the going rate is on ebay. Then you won't make any unreasonable bids. And so your collection begins. Its addicting.

musclebeach191

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    After having read "Patriots" by James Wesley, Rawles I began stocking up, slowly, on "junk" (pre-1965) silver coin and the occasional Walking Liberty half, Franklin half, and Morgan dollar. I have purchased nearly all off eBay by keeping an eye out and "watching" potentially promising auctions. With the exception of a few of my earlier purchases I have purchased the silver for less than market value (even taking into account 90% silver makeup of the coins). I highly recommend keeping a close eye on eBay auctions.

I like others keep an eye on CoinFlation to view regular updates of coins melting values.

-Jeff.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I am not a fan of buying gold or silver, particularly right now. In bad economic times (like right now), silver and gold prices go up. Getting into the market now is just like trying to get an AR during the scare. You will overpay and does little good if prices go down (trying to get one's investment back).

BUT! In a SHTF environment, who knows? Gold and silver may be a good "strategic" investment, but a short term (food, ammo, shelter) investment, there are better ones. But if a system of trade and barter is established after a crash, then and only then would silver or gold be good (requires an economic system to function or have worth).

My two cents (only copper! :D ).

Bear Poop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Its a worthwhile investment no matter which denomination. "Watch" auctions for a particular type of coin or bar, figure out what the going rate is on ebay. Then you won't make any unreasonable bids. And so your collection begins. Its addicting.

Just got off eBay. 1 gram ingots are freaking to high!!! Current price of silver is about 45 cents a gram. Starting bids are 99 cents a gram. Current markup should place the max at 54 cents a gram and some are asking as much as $4.95 a gram. NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's $153.96 and ounce. If your really want to spend that much I have 1 TOZ Eagles I'll sell you for the basement price of $125 and throw in free shipping

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    the problem with buying currency coins are they are not pure silver,unless your buying investment coins.that are made for collectors and not cost effective.if your going strictly for the value of the metal you need to go with troy once ingots 99.999 fine . or fine silver casting grain ,its not 99.999 but its very usefull for other asspects .everyone is going to mark stuff up so getting it for market price doesnt happen unless you buy some stupid amount then you still will pay more sso they can get thier profit.im a jeweler

Last edited:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    For complete disaster prep. I think having a some silver coins on hand is warranted. While I agree there are better ways to "invest", Having dimes quarters what not will probably be an "every day" trading advantage.
    Just my thoughts.

Jed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Yes, the coin shop in Franklin i was referring to is on Main Street just past the court house. He has a great selection of .999 silver rounds and even some "junk" silver coins for those of you who like them. Once in a while he has small silver bars as well... but for silver bars you can't beat the Coin Exchange in Greenwood {857 North Madison Avenue • Greenwood, IN 46142}
    Tel: (317) 885-8066 • Fax: (317) 885-8065
    The coin exchange has higher prices but carries an excellent selection up to a 100 ounce bar of silver!!! He also has a very good gold selection {but again his prices are higher than the Franklin shop.}

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Do you think silver will be a currency if everything goes south? Food, water, ammo, etc. will be bartered back and forth. I dunno, I can't eat silver.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you are in NE Indiana I was at A-Z Coins & Stamps in Glenbrook Mall in the last 10 days.

They are selling 1oz Silver bars for $1.50 over spot. This may(?) help save S&H along w/ delays if anyone is interested.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom