• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Indiana's laws governing the possession of various types of knives have changed several times over the past few decades, and it can be confusing to keep track of which laws are enforced at a given time. At the state level, prohibitions regarding specific weapons are defined in the Indiana Code at Title 35, Article 47, Chapter 5: Prohibited Instruments of Violence. While butterfly knives have become legal in Indiana, switchblades are generally prohibited.

Definitions of Prohibited Knives
    Indiana law prohibits the ownership of most sorts of switchblade knives, although the law does not make specific use of the term "switchblade" to avoid arbitrary enforcement. Rather, it defines knives on which the blade is opened "by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife" as being illegal. Most switchblades fall into this category.
    Butterfly Knives
    It is commonly believed that the prohibition affects butterfly knives. Although Indiana has had bans on such knives in the past, the most recent adaptation of the law does not include any prohibition on butterfly knives that conforms to the aforementioned regulations. The current version of the law took effect July 1, 2008.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Like I said, I knew that they USED to be illegal, but in 2008 they were legalized. Just like slot machine ownership was illegal in Indiana up until 2008 when they were legalized for in home use.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I still remember when my dad brought one home from the Philippines for me. One of my cousins gave him his personal knife to give to me, for which I will always be grateful. I sent a Taylor Cutlery "Manila Folder" to him to replace it, but I don't know if he ever got.

I also remember that I asked my dad to teach me how to open and close it with one hand. He took it from me, flipped it opened and closed really fast, and then said, "Go practice."

ROTFL, A wise man your dad. Really he is right, the only way to learn is to practice. I cut myself a few time, the trick is to buy a cheap butterfly knife, and intentionally dull the blade, then practice with it. That way, you won't walk around with band-aids, on all your fingers.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Mine is also from Batangas (has the latch on the correct side too!). Coincidentally my grandmother was from Batangas too.

Mine has very heavy brass handles with some kind of bone inlays. The blade was made from an file that was tempered and ground. It was the sharpest knife I've ever held in my hands at one time. Since the blade was made from a file, it really responded well to final sharpening with a hard black Arkansas stone and the edge was really thin to start.

I have one from Batangas, where they originated. Heavy 5" blade with brass frams and stag handles. It is the real deal. I was studying FMA when I was younger and brought it to my instructor. He said: " I don't know how to flip it open fast, since it was not common on my Island, but I can teach you to USE it." That set the tone for me, and I have only been concerned with deploying one rapidly and securely.

Another Pinoy from LuZon showed me how to open it quickly for fighting. Only two variations for regular grip, one for reverse. If you can, get Cacoy Hernandez' book, which I discovered later in my training. He tells some great stories and shows these same methods. It is nothing but practical and WIN. Nothing showy or flashy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    ROTFL, A wise man your dad. Really he is right, the only way to learn is to practice. I cut myself a few time, the trick is to buy a cheap butterfly knife, and intentionally dull the blade, then practice with it. That way, you won't walk around with band-aids, on all your fingers.

I learned using an old Taylor Cutlery (early 1980s) "Manila Folder" with tape over the edges.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I found one in a Dayton, OH pawn shop for $18 about 30 years ago. It was so cool and obviously hand-made. I'd never seen anything like it before. The shop owner said it pawned by a Vietnam Vet who claimed it was made in the Philipines. The blade was supposedly ground from a truck axle and the handles are black with two white dots on each end. It has brass liners, very nicely made. I thought it was so cool... I flipped it all day long back in the day. Anyone else seen one like this?

partial.jpg

a=7637653_7637653

Last edited:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Rhino - since you understand the culture, you will like this: My Batangas knife has a "bottle opener" spine of the blade. Because you may need a cold beer after some mayhem..8^)

I also have a Pinuti blade which was carried by my buddy's Dad in the Phillipines during the war.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    youtube has some basics

If you like books like me, look for "The Balisong Manual" by Jeff Imada (c1984) It has all kinds of manipulations, carry info and defensive fighting techniques. Also a lot of pictures of 'balisong' butterfly knives. I found the book at the 1500 a year or two ago.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino - since you understand the culture, you will like this: My Batangas knife has a "bottle opener" spine of the blade. Because you may need a cold beer after some mayhem..8^)

For your San Miguel! Complete with formaldehyde! Heh!

I also have a Pinuti blade which was carried by my buddy's Dad in the Phillipines during the war.

I'm not familiar with that!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you like books like me, look for "The Balisong Manual" by Jeff Imada (c1984) It has all kinds of manipulations, carry info and defensive fighting techniques. Also a lot of pictures of 'balisong' butterfly knives. I found the book at the 1500 a year or two ago.

I think I have that book somewhere . . . bought it about then too.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    They were legal in 1998 to 2002 or so. Then "gravity assisted opening" knives became illegal for a bit. They should be OK again.

I did own one, or rather, I bought one for the ex-fiance. Good quality blade and build.

Never did care for it though; it didn't feel like a proper fighting knife to me.

I had (and have) a Wayne Goddard Spyderco (one of the originals) I used all through training and have carried until present -- it finally needs repairs due to an idiot mistake on my part.

The other knife I own for fighting is a Cold Steel Master Hunter. Turns out the thing has more than doubled in price since I've had it... heh. Nice.

But butterfly knives... huh uh. Not this kind of butterfly knife, anyway. There's another type and I'd go for those.

Josh

bothehunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    shelbyville
    there not that hard to use, u just need to know where the blade impacts on your hands, because some are backwards, and when u flip it u will get cut!!! practice makes perfect!

Top Bottom