• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Easy. Engineers and people much smarter than us in the field of Geotechnical Engineering, structural engineering, etc. it cant be too hard to figure out if you know what you are doing.

FIFY ;)

You would want a geotechnical report of the soil conditions and foundation recommendations for the proposed build site. These recommendations would then go to a structural engineer to design the size/depth of foundations/walls/etc.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Cool thanks. Sounds like a lot of $$ to do it right. If someone wanted one of these they'd need to do a lot of planning and paying of experts to find even the right patch of land to start on

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Jagee does dirt. Jagee knows dirt. Jagee is a highly trained and much sought after dirt guy.

rare photograph of Jagee...

cbc5c51b29360411cee237ebbffa2d58.jpg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I'm resurrecting this thread because I didn't want to start a new thread and when I searched for bunkers this one popped up but no answer to my question.

I was watching a couple shows on bunkers and it got me to thinking, how do these people know where to build these bunkers? Like in Indiana we have very wet soil. So if you bury a bunker (a real bunker , not a shipping container or some homemade one), how do you know it's not going to float to the surface one day?
    I've seen some pretty cool bunkers online. I dont know what kind of bunker would be best, one in the middle of nowhere or one in an urban area hidden in plain sight.
    Drainage is key to anything done here in Indiana with our heavy clay, water retaining soils. Trust me. Look at the name. It's not uncommon for plastic septic tanks to pop out of the ground if they're emptied (or before initial filling) and I've heard stories of concrete tanks floating but that's pretty rare. I would not think you would want a sump pump in a bunker scenario, keeping it running may be problematic but it could be a giveaway. If you can build in a hill it would be optimum, or bury drainage at the floor elevation, but it's not easy getting an outlet at that depth in many places in central and northern Indiana. Water goes downhill and it doesn't care that downhill is in your bunker.

Top Bottom