• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timex2132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I'm looking to purchase my first AR pistol but I have also considered building my own... Pros and cons of building vs buying?

I have been looking at buying the American Tactical (ATI) 7.5 AR15 (BCG and Charge Handle w/ Fake Suppressor flash hider)... Opinions on this brand?

I have been considering building one with an adams arms piston kit built on a stag lower receiver with mostly milspec parts OR a Spikes lower and bear creek 223 wilderness 1:8 twist barrel... Thoughts on those brands?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm looking to purchase my first AR pistol but I have also considered building my own... Pros and cons of building vs buying?

I have been looking at buying the American Tactical (ATI) 7.5 AR15 (BCG and Charge Handle w/ Fake Suppressor flash hider)... Opinions on this brand?

I have been considering building one with an adams arms piston kit built on a stag lower receiver with mostly milspec parts OR a Spikes lower and bear creek 223 wilderness 1:8 twist barrel... Thoughts on those brands?
    Strictly my opinion, and your milage may vary, but as for the ATI ( American Tactical Imports) I say,
    Run away! Do not buy ATI ANYTHING!
    As you may have guessed, I've had major issues with an ATI offering, and even worse luck trying to deal with ATI directly.
    if you build, you will have a better understanding of the mechanics of your firearm.

If you buy factory built, you get a warranty.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

I always say it’s similar pros and cons as houses.

Build and you get exactly what you want.

Buy and you get something out of the box and can adapt and customize as you go.

If you buy, buy quality

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I'm a huge proponent of building your own. If you shop wisely you can build something cheaper than you can buy one put together. If you buy quality components, then you shouldn't have any issues. The last time that I bought a AR of any variant from a shop was almost 20 years ago.

Timex2132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Strictly my opinion, and your milage may vary, but as for the ATI ( American Tactical Imports) I say,
    Run away! Do not buy ATI ANYTHING!
    As you may have guessed, I've had major issues with an ATI offering, and even worse luck trying to deal with ATI directly.
    if you build, you will have a better understanding of the mechanics of your firearm.

If you buy factory built, you get a warranty.
    Haha good to know.

Timex2132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I'm a huge proponent of building your own. If you shop wisely you can build something cheaper than you can buy one put together. If you buy quality components, then you shouldn't have any issues. The last time that I bought a AR of any variant from a shop was almost 20 years ago.
    Where do you even start? The idea sounds cool, but I'd have no idea what to do.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Youtube is your friend. Watch how they are built. They arent hard. Its Legos for grown a** men. (and women)

My suggestion is buy a complete upper, and build your lower if you want to go that route. An upper can require some very specific purpose built tools. A lower you can cheat by using similar tools. Like a center punch can be substituted for a roll pin punch.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Check out his "How to Build an AR-15 Lower Receiver" video.

Just ignore the hundreds of dollars of tools he displays at the beginning. Remember, he sells all those tools. Thats why he says you NEED them. The only ones I think you REALLY need if you have a good supply of hand tools is the $15 stock wrench and brass/nylon hammer. You can fake it with what other tools you have.

Oh, and a 2 gallon (or bigger) ziplock bag. When installing spring loaded pins, you assemble it inside the bag. That way if you lose your grip and the pin gets ejected, it doesnt fly across the room never to be seen again but instead stays inside the bag.

Like I have never had to re-cut threads for the pistol grip. So you wont need the tap.

Last edited:

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana

Okay first off come up with a battle plan. What do you want? Sketch it all out on a piece of paper. Barrel length, rail type if that's what you're going to put on there, upper and lower. So do you want no frills? Any lower out there will work. There's going to be the gear snobs that's going to tell you that in Anderson lower is a poverty Pony lower. It's not. The roll Mark is stupid I hate that horse thing they have on there and you can actually get one without, but it's a good lower to start with. If you're going to go with a flat top you're going to need an A3 upper. Again nothing wrong with Anderson.

Lower parts kit. Anderson, Aero precision, etc. Here is where you could get into a problem with cheaply made Chinese lower parts. One of my favorite websites to use is https://www.righttobear.com/

They have good stuff, prices are pretty good and they don't hump you for shipping.

Rail. I personally would pick something like Midwest Industries they have good quality rails they're not overly expensive and their robust I've used quite a few of hand guards with rails and I've also used mlok handguards from them.

Barrel-Faxon makes some pretty good barrels

Never had any issues with any of their barrels. Also used barrels from ballistic advantage, Brownells, dpms. I've never had any issues out of any of those barrels.

If you want to pick my brain or bend my ear start a conversation with me and I'll help you as much as I can.

For tools, you need a decent set of punches, small hammer, a barrel wrench and either a vise block or some way to hold the receiver so that you can put the barrel on.

I know you're in Indianapolis and I'm way the hell down here across from Louisville Kentucky but I would be happy to put it together for if you want to make the drive. If not I'm sure there's somebody on the board around here that would help you build one

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Over the last 21 years I've built 20 ARs.. from sbr's to 308. I've built retro rifles and I've built rifles in five different calibers. I've built them for me, my son and my friends. I've only had one that didn't run 100% out of the gate and that was my son's 308 AR that had a gas port that was drilled under sized at the barrel maker. We had to drill out the gas port to the proper size.

My boy is a member here maybe he will chime in, but he will tell you that I've never had an issue out of any of my rifles that I've built and I've put a lot around through them, short barrel or not suppressed or not. As CM said above me, they're like Legos for adults they're not hard to build.

Jarvitron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Watch some Brownells videos, I know a lot of stuff got demonetized on Youtube but there's still a lot of resources about building your own upper. The biggest specialty tool you need for that is a bevblock or reaction rod. ARS are very easy and despite all the FUD about tolerance stacking, if you keep to decent brands you'll likely end up with a functioning rifle.

MrGiggles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    Carmel
    What do y'all think of those cheap Magpul lower kits from PSA? I saw an FDE one for $90 that I was extremely tempted to get.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    When you buy quality:

You're also buying their QC, QA, and experience. Some of that from some companies is worth more than others. You also have access to customer service / warranty should you need it.

For me, it's basically now come down to: If I need/want a life-saving tool that I can count on working 100% of the time - I'm buying quality.

For plinking / fun - assembling my choice of parts is good enough.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area

Is a great place to start. I am looking to pick up an Aero upper and lower set from them. They have them at $133.66 right now. I picked up a couple hand guards and a charging handle from the previously. Pricing on most stuff is excellent and they are located in Lima, OH, so shipping is fast.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Here's what I would do if I were just starting out, and it's what I wish I had done.

Buy a case of ammo and sign up for a good beginner carbine class. Borrow a buddy's AR to use in the class. The more stock it is the better. Find out what you like and don't like about it while running drills. Look at what other people are using and how they have their rifles set up. People love to talk about this stuff during breaks.

Build a short list of what features you want your rifle to have and go from there. Mission drives the gear.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Here's what I would do if I were just starting out, and it's what I wish I had done.

Buy a case of ammo and sign up for a good beginner carbine class. Borrow a buddy's AR to use in the class. The more stock it is the better. Find out what you like and don't like about it while running drills. Look at what other people are using and how they have their rifles set up. People love to talk about this stuff during breaks.

Build a short list of what features you want your rifle to have and go from there. Mission drives the gear.
    :+1:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    It has been stated in various ways, a lot of good information so far.

If someone is somewhat mechanically inclined, has an attention to detail, can follow directions and doesn't mind spending a little in tools, building one shouldn't be an issue.

If someone has a "I will slap it together & see if it runs" attitude (I have a friend like this) probably should buy a factory or armorer built one.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I think you should save and buy the best you can afford for your first one. If you try and build your first one and it doesn't go well, your going to be turned off on the platform or have a bad taste. You want one? Just go buy it and if you get the itch, you can always build your next ones.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you build with quality parts, its going to run about as much as a Daniel Defense on sale, or in my case with my AR-10 build its nearing a DD 5 V4 price.

I do love to build them, but in hindsight I could have bought a DD 5 V4 for just a few hundred dollars more literally.

Top Bottom