• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    He should have gone with the "i was disoriented from the accident and then started drinking to drown my pain" story.
    You have a point,
    Note to self, If I ever drive drunk and drive off an overpass I should continue to drive on the wrong side of the road with one good tire until I believe my truck is hidden. And then dont call for a ride home, just walk.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think they can decipher a BAC based on current levels, back to some point in time. How accurately they can do it and how far back, I don't know.
    IANAL and can very easily be wrong, but one of the very first rules of analysis drilled into our heads as young engineering students: thou shall not extrapolate. I don't see how extrapolated BAC could in any way be legally admissible/relevant.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Is it time to say, let he without sin cast the first stone?
    Casting stones for what, exactly? For having an evening of letting off steam with alcohol? No. For possibly having a problem with alcohol? No.

For doing those things and then getting behind the wheel of a car while ****-faced, which resulted in a laundry list of mischief that thankfully only resulted in property damage and not human injury or death? Yes. Zero tolerance.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Casting stones for what, exactly? For having an evening of letting off steam with alcohol? No. For possibly having a problem with alcohol? No.

For doing those things and then getting behind the wheel of a car while ****-faced, which resulted in a laundry list of mischief that thankfully only resulted in property damage and not human injury or death? Yes. Zero tolerance.
    Everyone, I mean everyone makes mistakes in life. Sounds like he got a similar outcome to most folks.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think they can decipher a BAC based on current levels, back to some point in time. How accurately they can do it and how far back, I don't know.

Another question on this, if we are even really discussing Mr Lucas' actual BAC vs what he plead to? How much does time and talking mitigate the BAC and any other intoxicant that might be involved?

The bodycam video was a hour long. Mr Lucas did not shut up for all of that. On top of how long it took them to catch him escaping the scene and how long it took ISP to get him to the blood draw?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Another question on this, if we are even really discussing Mr Lucas' actual BAC vs what he plead to? How much does time and talking mitigate the BAC and any other intoxicant that might be involved?

The bodycam video was a hour long. Mr Lucas did not shut up for all of that. On top of how long it took them to catch him escaping the scene and how long it took ISP to get him to the blood draw?

The typical human body metabolizes one oz. of alcohol (one beer, one 5 oz. glass of wine, one shot of liquor, etc.) per hour. To extrapolate anything, one would have to know when he started drinking and when he stopped.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Everyone, I mean everyone makes mistakes in life. Sounds like he got a similar outcome to most folks.
    The last time I was that stupid I went to jail, then court. No one was hurt, no property damage.
    Six years in The USMC to make it go away.

The public elementary school in St Marys Co my sons went to, took all boys in 4th grade for class trip. It was to the Prince Georgia's Co, Md. Cheltenham Boys Detention Center, both boys came home two years apart after that class trip with the statement.
    Dad, I dont ever want to go to jovie. It worked.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    IANAL and can very easily be wrong, but one of the very first rules of analysis drilled into our heads as young engineering students: thou shall not extrapolate. I don't see how extrapolated BAC could in any way be legally admissible/relevant.
    a general guideline is:

The liver metabolizes alcohol at a very constant rate, approximately one drink per hour.

BAC is dependent on multiple factors -
    the less you weigh, the more you will be affected by a given amount of alcohol. For people of the same weight, even the same gender, individuals with a lower percentage of body fat will have lower BAC's than those with a higher percentage of body fat.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...You have the right to remain silent you IDIOT!...

Just remember what this "idiot" is in charge of, when on the job working for us. Laws, taxes and tax rates, drug policy... :n00b:

It's hard to watch the whole hour plus of video, but if you do there is a lot to be learned about Mr Lucas.

I know we all love Mr Lucas for his good work on the 2A related Indiana laws. Watching his intoxicated rambling though makes one question a lot of things. Not excluding the poor light he casts on gun owners and their judgement.

Hard to miss all of the LEO name dropping later in the video. Makes you wonder if Lucas hasn't been "given a ride home," a time or few in the past, when circumstances didn't leave a trail of destruction?

:twocents:

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    He should have gone with the "i was disoriented from the accident and then started drinking to drown my pain" story.
    Many years ago a coworker showed up with his face beat to hell. He had rolled his Plymouth Horizon (dating the incident) into a field close to his house and walked home. He was SF drunk and knew it.
    It wasn't long before the cops arrived at his door and gave him a breath test. He claimed he drank hard when he got home and was disoriented from the crash. He got off.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Many years ago a coworker showed up with his face beat to hell. He had rolled his Plymouth Horizon (dating the incident) into a field close to his house and walked home. He was SF drunk and knew it.
    It wasn't long before the cops arrived at his door and gave him a breath test. He claimed he drank hard when he got home and was disoriented from the crash. He got off.
    Many years ago, before laws changed, my uncle left a bar in a small Wisconsin town and hit a parked vehicle. He got out, looked at the damage and went home. The next day he was driving into town and got stopped by local police who asked him if he hit another vehicle last night. He admitted to it and said he was on his way in to report the accident. When asked why he did not report it last night he told the officer that the ticket for leaving the scene was cheaper than one for drunk driving.
    He only got the ticket for leaving the scene as that was the only one they could prove.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Jim Lucas had THC in his bloodstream, what a surprise.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Jim Lucas had THC in his bloodstream, what a surprise.

Hmmm....

Guess it wasn't such a stretch, when some called this early, eh?

If it walks like a duck...

I could be wrong, but I don't think they checked for THC in the 80's, when Lucas was arrested for OWI the first time? ...

... "Lucas, who pleaded guilty earlier this month to misdemeanor charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated and leaving the scene of an accident, also pleaded guilty to a prior drunken driving charge in the 1980s, The Republic has confirmed. However, judgment was withheld in that case, and the record does not appear in law enforcement databases, sources said..."

:dunno:

:n00b:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom