• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I was wondering if anyone on here has used a section of a bowling alley lane as a workbench , or a bench for reloading ? I am about to make the travels to purchase some lanes from a bowling alley that has closed down and the sections of the lane are
    3' x 6' and are between 2"-3" thick and it is hardwood and not synthetic . The lanes are 60' long and i will get 10 sections per lane.

Does anyone know the type of wood most lanes are made out of ? I am curious if anyone has purchased any sections as to the price per section or per lane . I plan on using a few sections for a reloading bench .

Last edited:

YJBrian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Outside the Loop
    I believe the lanes are generally hard maple and Pine. hard maple where the ball will impact and pine towards the back end of the lane. My father has some nice bowling alley work bench tops, just cut to size and trim the edges. The alley will be full of nails, so use a cheap blade to cut.

Here is a nice table from bowling alley that will show you what you are getting into.

Reclaimed Bowling Lane Table

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    That table is really nice . Thanks for posting that . The owner of the lanes is going to be doing all the cutting all I have to do is drive there , pay , load and leave .

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I was wondering if anyone on here has used a section of a bowling alley lane as a workbench , or a bench for reloading ? I am about to make the travels to purchase some lanes from a bowling alley that has closed down and the sections of the lane are
    3' x 6' and are between 2"-3" thick and it is hardwood and not synthetic . The lanes are 60' long and i will get 10 sections per lane.

Does anyone know the type of wood most lanes are made out of ? I am curious if anyone has purchased any sections as to the price per section or per lane . I plan on using a few sections for a reloading bench .

Maple......hard maple.......same's BB courts......

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    The meet & eat last weekend was at Big Woods Brewing Co.

The building used to be an old bowling alley and the buffet was set up on a section of the lane made in to a table.

INGOer Vert seemed to know the guys pretty well and they might be able to tell you more.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Once I find out for sure how many lanes I am allowed to buy I will post on here with pricing and see if anyone is interested in a section or two . Right now he's thinking I may be able to purchase 4 lanes total .

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Once the owner contacts me with what I can buy I will let everyone know what and how many I can get along with the price per section .

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Types of Wood Used in Bowling Lanes | eHow

I'm thinking more hickory than balsa. Hey scootn why don't we buy the place and turn it into an indoor range. Shoot at pins, then have the machine set them up again. Another million dollar idea!!

See, I wanted to try that bowling pin shooting thing because I heard it was all the rage.
    It wasn't all that fun.

The guys at the alley really freaked out for some reason and called the cops. :dunno:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I made a work table out of a piece of Gynasium floor when they tore down an old elementary school. It was rock maple, about 3 inches thick. It was slow going to run a saw across, but ended up making a very solid table, that was VERY heavy to move. I'll bet bowling lane will be very similar. Sounds like a good project.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Place in Warsaw, name escapes me - flooring place just east of the gun store/Tractor Supply on 30 is selling bowling lane flooring for $12 a linear foot. I've bought a couple of sections.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom