• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I know there is a place in Warsaw that always advertises in the Auto & Rv for sale: MISC BOWLING LANE SECTIONS | $1,250 | AutoRV.com. I've seen some bench tops and a few smaller projects people built using wood that lived a life as a bowling lane while I lived in Warsaw. The wood is maple and yellow pine.

There is also a place in South Whitley full length reclaimed bowling alley lane.

Thanks for the links , at least i can get an idea as to what others are paying . Now i can go in knowing if he wants too much, i will walk away.. Thanks again

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Local bowling alley in Evansville has closed it doors for good as of today , the owner has 16 lanes , 3'x60' lanes , 2-2.5" thick of good hardwood , he is selling the lanes in 3'x8' sections for $60.00 a section . everything inside the bowling alley is for sale .Everything > Beer advertising , brunswick lockers 10 cabinets to a section , tables , chairs , couches , all kinds of restaurant equipment..
    please Pm me for his contact info and his name.. this wood would be perfect for a reloading bench or a work surface on your tool box . will post some pics of the lanes shortly.
    IMG_4109_zpse2760757.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    IMG_4110_zpsa864e2a8.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    IMG_4108_zps25051471.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    IMG_4124_zpsd970083f.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    IMG_4126_zps7d5fe383.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I know there is a place in Warsaw that always advertises in the Auto & Rv for sale: MISC BOWLING LANE SECTIONS | $1,250 | AutoRV.com. I've seen some bench tops and a few smaller projects people built using wood that lived a life as a bowling lane while I lived in Warsaw. The wood is maple and yellow pine.

There is also a place in South Whitley full length reclaimed bowling alley lane.
    Worst part about those places is that they want more for the lane than it costs to just buy a hard-maple work-bench top...

Local bowling alley in Evansville has closed it doors for good as of today , the owner has 16 lanes , 3'x60' lanes , 2-2.5" thick of good hardwood , he is selling the lanes in 3'x8' sections for $60.00 a section .

That price is a little more reasonable. I'm a bit jealous that I can't snatch some up... I'm overseas working... :(

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I have a workbench made from a section of bowling alley floor. Got it from an uncle who was a long time woodworker and was moving into a retirement condo (along with a table saw, drill press, band saw, and lathe)

The workbench weighed a ton when I brought it home, but I've since then split part of it off to make it narrower. Mine is made of rock maple and the strips were nailed together with hardened steel spiral nails. The maple floor rested on red oak 4X6 boards that were spaced down the lane. With those nails, it makes it very hard to cut through. I built a heavy frame with yellow pine lumber for mine to sit on and it is a joy to work on, solid as a rock and doesn't move or shake at all.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Looks like lanes will either cut out today or first thing Thursday , pin setters are being removed and then they can start on the lanes. Brunswick storage lockers are $50.00 for a section which is to drawers..

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Former Brunswick mechanic here. I think some of the descriptions above are from those who actually have synthetic sections and think they're wood (they are made to look like it.) Older, wood board lanes, wouldn't make much of a workbench at all. In fact, without the lane bed holding them in place, the narrow boards used (there are 42 individual rows of boards in a lane) wouldn't be of much use for anything. Boards in a lane are usually maple for the first 15-17 feet and then blend over to pine at the dovetails. To correct one point above, there won't be any nails in them. Boards in a lane are held in place by adhesive & pressure, not nails. A million years ago, I would likely have been part of the crew taking out the pinsetters. I've shut down a few centers but left such work in 1979.

While you're there, you should see if they have pins in the back. Those have a multitude of uses, especially to we gun enthusiasts.

Last edited:

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Former Brunswick mechanic here. I think some of the descriptions above are from those who actually have synthetic sections and think they're wood (they are made to look like it.) Older, wood board lanes, wouldn't make much of a workbench at all. In fact, without the lane bed holding them in place, the narrow boards used (there are 42 individual rows of boards in a lane) wouldn't be of much use for anything. Boards in a lane are usually maple for the first 15-17 feet and then blend over to pine at the dovetails. To correct one point above, there won't be any nails in them. Boards in a lane are held in place by adhesive & pressure, not nails. A million years ago, I would likely have been part of the crew taking out the pinsetters. I've shut down a few centers but left such work in 1979.

While you're there, you should see if they have pins in the back. Those have a multitude of uses, especially to we gun enthusiasts.

Spoke to the guys doing the demo and they stated lanes are glued , tongue and grooved , with nails... But they stated they sell them to people for work benches on a regular basis .. People can make there own decisions if they want to buy or not , pm me for his contact info .

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

Mine came from an old alley in Cincinnati, and the boards are hard maple, with a shallow tongue and groove, and are nailed to each other.

I used steel wedges to split mine lengthwise between the boards, since I didn't need it as wide as it was when I got it. I routed two shallow two inch grooves on the bottom (since the bottom boards aren't planed even) so that the top rests on two 2 X 8's that are fastened to 4 X 4 legs. I added a Record wood-working vise at one end. It's the nicest part of my wood shop and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'd post a pic, but it's is too cluttered right now.

Last edited:

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I have made 2 bar tops from recycled bowling alleys. Both are solid maple. The one I wrapped with walnut and just poly coated it and its beautiful. The other one I covered with stainless steel and made it into my "Harley" themed bar. Stuff is GREAT but plan on using lots of saw blades! I can post pics if you wish!

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I have made 2 bar tops from recycled bowling alleys. Both are solid maple. The one I wrapped with walnut and just poly coated it and its beautiful. The other one I covered with stainless steel and made it into my "Harley" themed bar. Stuff is GREAT but plan on using lots of saw blades! I can post pics if you wish!

Post some pics.. Any ideas would great to see..

I also know of another bowling alley that has closed and it is located in Oakland City if that is closer to anyone , i believe they have 10-12 lanes and are supposed to start cutting this weekend , PM me for there info..

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Making a coffee table using a section of the floor with two high and two or three wide of the lockers underneath would be pretty cool. Rick off american restoration could make an awesome piece.

jlupacch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I would be interested in a section or two. Can you send me the contact info please.

Thanks

jlupacch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I called him yesterday and if there are any left Monday morning I will be going to get one.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Post some pics.. Any ideas would great to see..

I also know of another bowling alley that has closed and it is located in Oakland City if that is closer to anyone , i believe they have 10-12 lanes and are supposed to start cutting this weekend , PM me for there info..
    Sorry been a busy weekend. Here are my 2 bar tops I made with the lanes.
    bar1.jpg bar 2.jpg

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Both of those look really good , did you cover the 2nd one with stainless to make more of industrial style bar ?
    Yes and no. Wasn't going to but that section of alley had a plastic film over it and I thought great that one will be just like new when I peal it off. Well the film was on because of all the damage to the maple underneath. I pulled that plastic off and all the filler and glue all came with it. So I put the ss on it and it all worked out. Looks better with that bar anyhow. That is my Harley bar!

Top Bottom