• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Ideally I don’t need any of this garbage and it collects dust.

And I hope it remains this way. Strange that I bought something with such hopes that I never have to use it.

I got my rig all fitted last night. Heavy....Wow. Wore it for a half an hour walking around until I started getting use to it.

I kept thinking of the quote from somewhere in this thread, "steel plates are for Medieval knights".

Maybe someday I'll upgrade so I can spend more money on something I hope to never use.

Who is selling the Lvl7 Heliumplate?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    And I hope it remains this way. Strange that I bought something with such hopes that I never have to use it.

I got my rig all fitted last night. Heavy....Wow. Wore it for a half an hour walking around until I started getting use to it.

I kept thinking of the quote from somewhere in this thread, "steel plates are for Medieval knights".

Maybe someday I'll upgrade so I can spend more money on something I hope to never use.

Who is selling the Lvl7 Heliumplate?
    You get used to it. The trick is to fit it a bit tight. That helps. It does get weighty after adding loaded mags.
    I heard the heliumplate is wrapped in purple velvet instead of Paxon

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    The Botach website offers a pre-order option and they'll ship out September 27th, they just don't say what year.
    Botach sent an email that they canceled the 25 June order and to reorder. Some of the stuff I ordered was unavailable but the level IV plates were in stock. The order shipped today. They currently show 36 in stock down from over 450 several days ago.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Recently decided to split some gear up to make use of a LBV I had lying around. All I needed was a kangaroo (admin) mag pouch for the PC, and I could repurpose all the old ones over. I will need to put together a small trauma kit for the LBV 6'oclock spot. I had extra TQ stuff.

I will end up doing a minimalist pistol belt to go with the PC, looking at a cross platform setup with ability to accept 1 holster on each.

The whole idea was the ability to support another person should I need to supply gear. (i.e. spouse, roommate, etc.). Although it provides no protection, at least they are "in the fight". Both units are/will be equipped with the same things at the base level: Mags, IFAK, TQ, knife.

P.S. Yes I like coyote
    5e530a815de1a29a6786bffb220ba670.jpg
    5775299d94c97375c34713cfc26ac524.jpg

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    P.S. Yes I like coyote

There's more than one reason coyote was adopted by the USMC.

What kind of plate carrier is that?

Personally, I'm going to be going with an ultra lightweight slick plate carrier (w L210 special threat plates) and a war belt setup to supplement my spare 'fully loaded' setup w/USMC flak jacket and heavy Level IV armor. Whoever is with me during the apocalypse is going to have to carry around some weight if they don't want to get full of holes, lol.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    You've thought this through, RR .....smart !
    Thanks MM! I have no service XP, but have taken several civilian classes. The load out usually, even if slightly, evolves after each one as I learn.

I'm have an old ALICE LBV I may set up in the future for the truck. I hope I never have to apply any of it, bit these days I'm not so confident in that.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    There's more than one reason coyote was adopted by the USMC.

What kind of plate carrier is that?

Personally, I'm going to be going with an ultra lightweight slick plate carrier (w L210 special threat plates) and a war belt setup to supplement my spare 'fully loaded' setup w/USMC flak jacket and heavy Level IV armor. Whoever is with me during the apocalypse is going to have to carry around some weight if they don't want to get full of holes, lol.
    A model no longer offered by ar500, the Arena pc. I think it evolved into the testudo?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I had always put off body armor, but a couple months ago I decided it might be one of those things you should get and not need, rather than wait until you need it and not be able to get it, and I had plenty of guns, ammo and toilet paper stashed away anyway. :) Since the rush was already on I got a couple AR500 steel plates through INGO classifieds because they weren't too expensive and they were available right then, not weeks later. Figured I could replace them with ceramic later, but in mean time I would have still have something. Wanted second set so wife and me both would have some, nnot too much later followed on another forum found some level IV ceramic available immediately. Bingo. Couple carriers, wife and me covered.

I've been looking at all the current deals on ceramic armor and the fiberglass stuff, etc, totted up the amount of money needed to replace my current "used" steel and ceramic (although they both look like new)... and sent the money to Donald's campaign. MAGA 2020.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I picked up a couple of level IV sets a while back. One steel pair and one ceramic pair. Mostly got them just because I always wanted them :>). I did run with them during 2 day long Revere Rider Carbine classes and it was great training with them. In my experience they seem so heavy when you first put them on, but as the day goes on you 'almost' forget about them. I even drove home with them on just to get the feel. Did have to back my seat up a bit to fit in. I will say, though, it sure felt good taking off that evening! I have 2 full size carriers and one lightweight carrier. The lightweight carrier really fits well over the IIIA vest.

After seeing brchixwing's comment about his order I thought some nice, more modern and lighter weight would be nice to have. I looked at at some youtube reviews on the Battle Steel Level IV's and they look like they do a nice job of stopping holes, and I like the 6lb weight.

Funny, I ordered them today, and just got my shipping confirmation notice through UPS. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Ron

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I picked up a couple of level IV sets a while back. One steel pair and one ceramic pair. Mostly got them just because I always wanted them :>). I did run with them during 2 day long Revere Rider Carbine classes and it was great training with them. In my experience they seem so heavy when you first put them on, but as the day goes on you 'almost' forget about them. I even drove home with them on just to get the feel. Did have to back my seat up a bit to fit in. I will say, though, it sure felt good taking off that evening! I have 2 full size carriers and one lightweight carrier. The lightweight carrier really fits well over the IIIA vest.

After seeing brchixwing's comment about his order I thought some nice, more modern and lighter weight would be nice to have. I looked at at some youtube reviews on the Battle Steel Level IV's and they look like they do a nice job of stopping holes, and I like the 6lb weight.

Funny, I ordered them today, and just got my shipping confirmation notice through UPS. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Ron
    I too have run mine in a RR carbine course. Huzzah!

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I too have run mine in a RR carbine course. Huzzah!

Sweet! We could have been at the same course(s). I did see a few other folks with them also.

It really is good training to get the feel for wearing them while doing all kinds of crazy things! One thing I do like is that with plates in the carriers they really tend to keep the mags tight to the body, and makes extracting them a lot more solid feeling (hope that makes sense :>)

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Sweet! We could have been at the same course(s). I did see a few other folks with them also.

It really is good training to get the feel for wearing them while doing all kinds of crazy things! One thing I do like is that with plates in the carriers they really tend to keep the mags tight to the body, and makes extracting them a lot more solid feeling (hope that makes sense :>)
    It does. Nothing worse than floppy floppy (as previously mentioned). I've been to a couple of theirs at seelyville and bedford contingent.
    I found it even better after adding trauma pads.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I had always put off body armor, but a couple months ago I decided it might be one of those things you should get and not need, rather than wait until you need it and not be able to get it, and I had plenty of guns, ammo and toilet paper stashed away anyway. :) Since the rush was already on I got a couple AR500 steel plates through INGO classifieds because they weren't too expensive and they were available right then, not weeks later. Figured I could replace them with ceramic later, but in mean time I would have still have something. Wanted second set so wife and me both would have some, nnot too much later followed on another forum found some level IV ceramic available immediately. Bingo. Couple carriers, wife and me covered.

I've been looking at all the current deals on ceramic armor and the fiberglass stuff, etc, totted up the amount of money needed to replace my current "used" steel and ceramic (although they both look like new)... and sent the money to Donald's campaign. MAGA 2020.

if you like burning money feel free to send it my way.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    "It does. Nothing worse than floppy floppy (as previously mentioned). I've been to a couple of theirs at seelyville and bedford contingent.
    I found it even better after adding trauma pads."

Same here, one at Seelyville with Slim and two at the Bedford Contingent, one with Slim and one with Nad63. Got my second patch at Seelyville! Man those were so much fun, and I learned so much.

I know I am about ready for another one, hopefully something next year will come up.

Top Bottom