• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You act like Apple has your best interests at heart and is fighting the good fight to protect you.

If they lose this fight, I doubt you will even know it other than hearing about it in the news.
    Apple is fighting to maintain control over something it created and I, along with tens of millions of others are quite satisfied with. If they win this fight I will pay more for my products and they will be of less value to me.

You act like the government has your best interests at heart and is fighting for you. When was the last time that was actually what was occurring? Or is this the beginning of a new era? Biden and Garland suddenly found God? Give me a break.

If Apple loses and I won't even know it then for what exactly was the government fighting on my behalf? Millions in tax dollars handed out to the elite class lawyers to kick back to the politicians and another American company forced to do the government's bidding.

Anyone seen my pom poms?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You act like Apple has your best interests at heart and is fighting the good fight to protect you.

If they lose this fight, I doubt you will even know it other than hearing about it in the news.
    Much like computer viruses, people used to lose their contacts and all crazy manner of things but, outside the ransom deals, it doesn’t happen much anymore. Did they go away? Nope, they are there stealing info from you all the time.

People don’t know that difference either…

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Much like computer viruses, people used to lose their contacts and all crazy manner of things but, outside the ransom deals, it doesn’t happen much anymore. Did they go away? Nope, they are there stealing info from you all the time.

People don’t know that difference either…
    Yep. Viruses went from nuisance to for profit. People need to pay attention to every permission every app they have gets. It isn't just the bad guys that are trying to steal your information.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Show me one thing the government stepped in and actually improved.

Our government's role isn't suing American corporations to extort billions of dollars and drive costs up and quality down for consumers but that is exactly what they're doing instead of things like securing the border. There are no virtuous intentions within the government, this isn't some wrong righting crusade by some valiant power out to help the little man. Our government does nothing that does not serve the government first and foremost.
    Unknown-1.jpeg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    How so? I am open to understanding how a restriction on competition keeps prices low and drives product improvements?
    Are you familiar with the many vulnerabilities of the products the 'competition' has delivered, with the constant stream of security updates and vulnerabilities necessitating anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-ransomware products? These are essentially unnecessary on products designed to run in the MacOS and iOS environments, the greatest vulnerability for Mac users is human nature/phishing and smishing attacks. Plug and play lives up to its name, it isn't 'plug and spend hours trying to figure out which driver is causing the current problem'. Tight control over developers and their methodology is a feature and not a bug, witness that we were the first to have detailed sayso over in app permissions where we could selectively deny access asked for that seemed unneeded such as access to photos or contact list - a feature, like many others, copied by that 'competition'

IMO the 'benefits' of competition being so oversold come down to just pricing, and those are never guaranteed only promised. One would think if the non-Apple ecosystem was so great it would pioneer features that Apple users would find so desirable they might contemplate switching. Alas, it seems only to be about cheaper not better or faster, with a bit of competition for best camera as a side show. The only thing an android device did better that I can think of is my wife says out old Galaxy Notes, from before we switched to iPhones, took better panoramas

This is really just about money because Apple takes a cut of app revenues as compensation for the expense of policing the App Store, and I'm not sure but may still restrict the sale of add ons and/or extras within the apps. I am not aware of anyone being unable to get a Mac version of an app they wanted, balking at paying a little extra for it perhaps or being willing to abandon the serene world of the 'walled garden' to save a few bucks

What you advocate is like wanting to allow Mercedes or Audi drivers to have the option of loading a GM or Ford touchscreen control system into their automobiles - because; competition - with of course Mercedes and Audi being responsible for the resultant effects on ease of use and reliability

Perhaps some market research to poll users of Apple devices to see if they want to be 'rescued' would be in order

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    How so? I am open to understanding how a restriction on competition keeps prices low and drives product improvements?
    You think the execs at Apple are going to pay for the lawsuit? The shareholders? No, those millions will be passed on to consumers, the same people paying the other side to "help". The politicians get rich, the lawyers get rich and we're paying for all of it.

Then, when the government forces Apple to allow anyone into the system we'll all have **** devices.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Are you familiar with the many vulnerabilities of the products the 'competition' has delivered, with the constant stream of security updates and vulnerabilities necessitating anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-ransomware products? These are essentially unnecessary on products designed to run in the MacOS and iOS environments, the greatest vulnerability for Mac users is human nature/phishing and smishing attacks. Plug and play lives up to its name, it isn't 'plug and spend hours trying to figure out which driver is causing the current problem'. Tight control over developers and their methodology is a feature and not a bug, witness that we were the first to have detailed sayso over in app permissions where we could selectively deny access asked for that seemed unneeded such as access to photos or contact list - a feature, like many others, copied by that 'competition'
    Are you saying that Apple isn't constantly coming out with security updates for their products and they have no vulnerabilities?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I used to be an android guy after switching back-and-forth a couple of times. I am now firmly in the Apple camp. I just love their stuff because it always works. And to .gov: Leave Apple the **** alone.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Are you saying that Apple isn't constantly coming out with security updates for their products and they have no vulnerabilities?
    No, but being Unix based, having gatekeeper riding herd on apps, sandboxing and SIP go along way toward making them inherently more stable and secure than the 'competition'

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Don't care whether you like Apple or hate Apple...there's a need for Paul Harvey and "The rest of the story" in here. Since Cook is a big dem supporter, they've evidently done something that their masters didn't like or won't go along with something, so they need to be dealt with.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    That initial article is a mess. Apple is not being sued for a monopoly of the cell phone market. They are being sued for the monopoly on the App market. While you may not want to get an app from somewhere other than the app store, you should be able to if you so desire.

Why? You know the closed ecosystem going in. If that doesn’t set with you, don’t buy an Apple product. Apple has every right to make sure every app meets the form, fit, and functionality they desire on their platform. I’m not just buying a phone or tablet. I’m buying the entire experience. I expect every app to have the feel and functionality expected from apple. I don’t see people having the ability to buy a GM truck from a dealer and demand the ability to put a Cummins dies in it and not void the warranty.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I'd say breaking up ATT was good for the consumer in the end.
    i can show you areas that now have no ability to use a cell phone for communication and as a result of the breakup, T has the legal ability to not only abandon phone service, but with a letter 3 months before, they can shut landline service off. Please tell me how this is good for these consumers.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Why? You know the closed ecosystem going in. If that doesn’t set with you, don’t buy an Apple product. Apple has every right to make sure every app meets the form, fit, and functionality they desire on their platform. I’m not just buying a phone or tablet. I’m buying the entire experience. I expect every app to have the feel and functionality expected from apple. I don’t see people having the ability to buy a GM truck from a dealer and demand the ability to put a Cummins dies in it and not void the warranty.
    That is a terrible example and not an accurate description of what is happening.

Imagine you go to the Indy 1500 Gun & Knife Show. The show organizer tells the vendors that:
    #1 all payments can only be processed by the show organizer.
    #2 Show organizer is free to tack on whatever fees it sees fit.
    #3 Vendors are prohibited from letting customers know that they could get the product cheaper if they came to the storefront location because it is sans organizer fees.
    #4 Show organizer is allowed to also sell similar products as the vendors, but the above rules do not apply to the vendor.

Customer walks into the show, wants a Glock 19. Vendor price $499 but, don't forget about the show organizer fee, they want a cut so it is now $550. Customer goes to check out and now their $499 purchase is actually $550. No worries the organizer says at checkout. We offer Glock 19s as well! It is $499...but no fee!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Seems like the sort of thing a free market might take care of. If something sucks bad enough, a comparable competitor won't have any problems succeeding. Sounds like the market needs some comparable competition.

This whole thing sure sounds like an attempt at punishing success to me. Apple isn't the only game in town, people don't have to use Apple products. Amazon has one hell of a more significant monopoly in this country but I don't see Garland chasing Amazon. I'm guessing Amazon is more than happy to allow the Feds access to any and all information in its possession.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    i can show you areas that now have no ability to use a cell phone for communication and as a result of the breakup, T has the legal ability to not only abandon phone service, but with a letter 3 months before, they can shut landline service off. Please tell me how this is good for these consumers.
    You do know there weren't any cell phones around when they broke up at&t right?

• Haha
    Reactions: KLB
    Top Bottom