• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I swear, Apple product owners are like drug addicts.

Literally addicted to the ecosystem and panicking that something might happen to it.
    Most Apple product owners have at least some experience with the alternative and grew tired of that hot mess

Come over to our side, we don't have cookies and our 'plug and play' actually works first time all the time (because the system freezes out sketchy and/or careless product development)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Come over to our side, we don't have cookies and our 'plug and play' actually works first time all the time (because the system freezes out sketchy and/or careless product development)
    They've certainly had to implement their share of patches/updates to fix those things that work first time all the time. :dunno:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That initial article is a mess. Apple is not being sued for a monopoly of the cell phone market. They are being sued for the monopoly on the App market. While you may not want to get an app from somewhere other than the app store, you should be able to if you so desire.

Apple is being sued by the Department of Justice and 16 state attorneys general for its alleged monopoly over the cellphone market with its iPhone products.

The lawsuit alleges that Apple purposefully stifled competition and degraded consumer experience in order to maintain its monopoly over iPhone devices.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That initial article is a mess. Apple is not being sued for a monopoly of the cell phone market. They are being sued for the monopoly on the App market. While you may not want to get an app from somewhere other than the app store, you should be able to if you so desire.

Can Android users get apps from the Apple Store?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

So help me understand, John Deere is all good locking farmers out of repairing their own farm equipment but apple is a bad guy for controlling third party access to their products.

One can get any app they want, just buy a phone that has that app. Easy peasy.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So help me understand, John Deere is all good locking farmers out of repairing their own farm equipment but apple is a bad guy for controlling third party access to their products.

You think I am OK with what John Deere does?

I understand you are a fan, and thus Apple can do no wrong. That does not change the fact that they have a monopoly on apps for iPhones and iPads. This is purely a case of greed. Apple wants a piece of every app a user of their products buy.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    This is purely a case of greed. Apple wants a piece of every app a user of their products buy.
    Not quite. They want to be able to vet every piece of code that is introduced to their platform. They do extensive security testing of all apps to make sure they conform to Apple quality standards and aren’t doing anything nefarious or dangerous.

And android systems, allow side loading of apps that may be malicious in nature.

Not to mention, they are each totally different platforms and apps written for one will not run natively on the other without being ported which also means some things must be re-programmed to utilize each platforms unique API's. Are there legal complaints that Windows can't run Mac apps or vice versa?

I am not an apple fan boy per se, but at least I know they attempt to keep their ecosystem clean, and don’t roll over for every federal agency request to access a phones data. Plus iPhones just work. I have never had and serious problem with mine.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    How is that relevant?

Again, this isn't hard. A person that buys an iPhone or iPad should be able to load an app from somewhere other than the app store if they so desire.

Why is this even in question?
    I was just curious. If an Android user can't download an app from the Apple Store, are they not engaging in the same practice as Apple?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Maybe the Chinese that own the Apple factories aren't the same Chinese that own the John Deere factories? Some Chinese send money to American politicians, some politicians decide which American compaines they're gong to try to sue out of existence.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Gosh I hope the government wins and Apple is forced to lower the standards of their products to meet the demands of the Android users. I wasn't looking to go back to that **** riddled existence of using other platforms but since my government has nothing but my best interests at heart I guess I should be happy.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Gosh I hope the government wins and Apple is forced to lower the standards of their products to meet the demands of the Android users. I wasn't looking to go back to that **** riddled existence of using other platforms but since my government has nothing but my best interests at heart I guess I should be happy.
    Huh? What standards would be lowered? You could still download your apps only from the Apple Store. They could still check the apps for bad stuff. Nothing would change for you.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Huh? What standards would be lowered? You could still download your apps only from the Apple Store. They could still check the apps for bad stuff. Nothing would change for you.
    You'll have a long hard road to convince me that the government ****ing with something which has worked near flawlessly for me for well over a decade is going to improve my experience in any way, shape or form.

Everything the government touches turns to ****.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Not quite. They want to be able to vet every piece of code that is introduced to their platform. They do extensive security testing of all apps to make sure they conform to Apple quality standards and aren’t doing anything nefarious or dangerous.

And android systems, allow side loading of apps that may be malicious in nature.

I am not an apple fan boy per se, but at least I know they attempt to keep their ecosystem clean, and don’t roll over for every federal agency request to access a phones data. Plus iPhones just work. I have never had and serious problem with mine.
    Accessing data is not what this is about. Apple has that right.

They control all of the apps, but dirty apps still get through. Same thing happens to Google. Neither company is able to ensure that only safe apps are available.

How many of you so against this actually looked into what the issues at hand are?

From another article
    As cloud streaming services started becoming more popular in 2020, Apple introduced new rules that seemed designed to give services like Xbox Cloud Gaming, Facebook Gaming, and GeForce Now a place on the App Store. But in reality, it did the opposite. The rules severely limited the presence of cloud gaming services on the App Store, as Apple required developers to submit their games to the App Store for approval individually — rather than having them exist in a singular hub of games.
    This led cloud streaming services to bring their game hubs to web browsers on the iPhone instead, making them far less convenient for users to find and access. Apple only recently reversed this rule by allowing cloud streaming services to submit a single app “with the capability to stream all of the games offered in their catalog.” Despite this, the DOJ claims Apple “wielded its power over app distribution to effectively prevent” developers from offering cloud streaming services on the iPhone, adding that “even today, none are currently available on the iPhone.”

Top Bottom