• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rshelbu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I think it'd be real interesting to get Ed's reaction to what everyone here has to say about him. It's not my cup of tea, but he must be keeping someone happy.

Maybe you could make an appointment with him and point him in the direction of this thread......R:D

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Maybe you could make an appointment with him and point him in the direction of this thread......R:D

I don't even make apopintments to check out his store let alone get him to read some of his reviews.

I gotta think that eventually he's goign to come across this website and possibly read some of this or at least catch wind of it. In either case, it'd be good for him to read this if it can be taken constructively.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Several months ago I told Ed about this site and the fact that several members were less than satisfied with his business practice. He said he would take a look at the site and this thread. As to the credit card charge: he has a sign before you enter the shop and one in the shop explaining his payment policy with charge cards. From reading the previous posts it is evident that most are not cognizant of the fact that when you pay with cash in stores that accept credit cards you are still paying for the use of a credit card. The store raises prices on their products to cover the credit card service fee. The only thing Ed has done is give the cash paying customer the lowest price and the credit card user pays for the credit card fee the business is charged.

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My favorite place in the Ft. Wayne area is Shooters over in New Haven. Jerry is a great guy in my opinion. I really enjoy looking at his selection which isn't too bad, and talking with him. I like H&H but some of their prices can be high. Thomas is a great guy and has always remembered my name and has great customer service. He is also very knowledgeable of all of their products. I know several people who don't have anything good to say about H&H, but I always enjoy going in there. I will admit I cannot afford their range prices anymore and have been doing all of my shooting at Rousch Lake now. More of a drive, but $4 for all day can't be beat! Also pleased with 21st Century and Tomlinsons just wish they were closer.

speedsix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    fort wayne
    Ed Hirshey is not only an ******* but he is not above ripping people off. If you know your stuff, you can avoid being ripped off but it is not the kind of place I would send send a buddy who is new to the shooting sports to on their own. He would take advantage and that is not fair.

His appointments are the main reason I don't shop with him. I like to browse and come and go as I please. He told me that if I make an appointment, it should be to buy a gun and nothing else. I don't know what he has so how do I know I want a gun he is selling? If he would just let people stop by without being pressured to buy, he might get more business.

Tomlinson's up in Churubusco is a better shop. I would send a newbie up their and not expect them to be ripped off. They seem to treat people with respect and are honest.

speedsix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    fort wayne
    H&H is probably the biggest but it sucks in every way.

Tomlinson's, my favorite because they do consignment.

KT Accuracy, more or less out of the gun biz but Tim Moper is perhaps the nicest guy I have ever met in my life. If you want a Rock River AR-15, he will hook you up on a great price and great service.

Shooters New Haven. I might be getting this confused with another gunshop in New Haven but last time I was there it seemed like they didn't have any guns. They had a half a dozen new Bersas and that was about it. It was a weird shop.

21st Century in Bluffton. It is almost an hour drive for me so I don't go often. Nice shop, nice people great selection. Only downside is prices are only average. I used to buy from them all when it was called "Bluffton gunshop" because they would have good deals from time to time. I have been back about half a dozen times and never found anything that sparked my my buying bone.

Garrett gunshop, kind of a old man shop with a bunch of junk more or less. All guns are slightly overprice and many are not in good shape. For used older guns I expect a bit of a deal.

Laotto, found this one by accident just driving past. A lot more guns than it looks from the outside. Looks like a mower shop but has a decent selection of guns. I haven't bought from them but my friend bought a rifle.

Gander Mountain. OMFG! As a joke go in and tell them you want to sell them your gun. Take a nice gun like a Glock, SIG or Colt 1911. The joke will be when they offer you $195 for it based on some sort of calculation they do!:nuts: I brought in a like new Rem 870 Super mag and asked how much. They said they would sell it for $150 so they would give me $100. I said I would take all they had for $150! BTW, there was a new one for over $400 not ten feet from where I was standing. :nuts:

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Here in town Ranger Supply or Shooters in new haven( great stories from jerry),If you are south ,its worth the trip to 21 st century in bluffton. I know that everyone here that has dealt with ed hirschy has found him ...different but he is who I bought my first 1911 springfield from & he helped me waver away from a purchase that I probably would have regretted later . I would say he is more of a exclusive dealer if you are looking for something in particular ,He can usually get it a little cheaper than most.

Rshelbu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Several months ago I told Ed about this site and the fact that several members were less than satisfied with his business practice. He said he would take a look at the site and this thread. As to the credit card charge: he has a sign before you enter the shop and one in the shop explaining his payment policy with charge cards. From reading the previous posts it is evident that most are not cognizant of the fact that when you pay with cash in stores that accept credit cards you are still paying for the use of a credit card. The store raises prices on their products to cover the credit card service fee. The only thing Ed has done is give the cash paying customer the lowest price and the credit card user pays for the credit card fee the business is charged.

I think he should have told me that the price he quoted me ON THE PHONE was a cash price. I had never been there to see his walls. I am very cognizant of credit card charges as I install and set-up those machines. To the top it goes....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    Ranger Supply - Russ knows everything about everything and you don't. Heard several complaints about the way he does business. -1

21st Century - Great selection and prices. +1

Precision Arms - Jeff is very knowledgeable and fair prices. +1

Gander - Overpriced. -1

H&H - Overpriced. -1

Ed Hirschy - Decent selection and prices but I dont like to be rushed. +0

Hillside Shooting Sports - A little of everything and fair prices. Greg
    is a decent guy as well. +1

B&H - If your not friends then don't expect much. +0

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Ed Hirshey is not only an ******* but he is not above ripping people off... His appointments are the main reason I don't shop with him...I don't know what he has so how do I know I want a gun he is selling? If he would just let people stop by without being pressured to buy, he might get more business.

Ed Hirshey runs a different kind of place. Just because he has an atypical business plan is no reason to call him names. If you want to browse a gun shop, accept that Ed's is different and go somewhere else. If you're an impulse buyer waiting for the spirit to move you, don't go to Hirschey's.

The way you know what he has is to ask him when you set the appointment. If he says he doesn't have it, don't go out there. Ed's is a place to get a good price when you know what you want (and the best price you can buy it for elsewhere), have been saving your quarters in your sock drawer, and are ready to make a purchase.

Once again, the way I do this is to call and say something like, "Ed, I'm looking for a Glock 19. I want to buy it for less than $475, and have my long drive out there be worth it. Do you have the gun at a price for us to set an appointment?" Don't expect him to name a price. However, my experience is that if tells you he can beat a price you name, he will.

I spend 95% of my gunshop time and places other than Ed's, but when I'm on a mission to buy a particular gun, I find it to my advantage to give him a call.

As for "doing more business," the look of his property, house, and shop suggest he is doing just fine. Not exactly a doublewide, ya know. :D

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I have bought from Ed and i like the idea of my gun not being handled by just anybody that want's to see my (insert gun here) and i like the idea that if i want something at the price i want to pay i call Ed and he tells me wether he can beat the price or not! but i will agree with a few things that have been said in this thread.
    He usually is beating somebody's price and taking there bussiness and he is hard to talk to but if you do your home work and know what gun you want call ed and if he can sell it for the price you are looking for he will set an appt and then you can buy your gun at a good price !
    but if you want to browse a gun shop and get in on gun shop BS this is not the place!!

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    OK!
    I've dealt A LOT with several of the FFL's mentioned in this thread.

Shull Machine & Firearms: Small shop, limited but diverse stock. Great people to deal with. Zack & Ed are both knowledgeable and HONEST. You never get BS or a runaround from them. They will special order anything that you want and they always treat you like they would want to be treated.
    Ed is a gunsmith, and machinist, with a full machine shop attached to the store. (Or a store attached to the machine shop, depending on your priorities.) I have bought a slew of guns and accessories from them. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

Mile Corner Guns: Again, great people to deal with. Dave, Dan, and their staff are very knowledgeable, HONEST, and fair to deal with. As stated earlier they have a lot of used firearms and a good selection of new ones. I have only purchased a couple of guns there in recent years but that is because I look for new weapons when I am in a buy mode. Their prices are on par with the Ft. Wayne shops and they have an indoor range with league shooting.. (Membership required.) Dave is a State Representative and is very pro gun, pro hunter, pro Law Enforcement. Again HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Ed Hirschy's: Ed is a businessman first and foremost. He is honest but will let you make a mistake if you insist. In my opinion, Ed has neither the time, nor the inclination, to educate people about the fine points of firearms or accessories. If you know what you want, and he has it, he will give you the best price around. Just do your homework before calling him and you will not waste your, or his, time. I've bought and traded a lot with Ed for over fifteen years and if I've gotten screwed by him it was my own fault for not having enough knowledge. (I haven't yet.)
    RECOMMENDED, providing you keep in mind that you need to be knowledgeable, and up front, with Ed.

Dunhams Sports: I can only speak for the local store but they are like any chain store outlet. They are stuck with the prices dictated by "Central Command" and have no leeway or deal making ability. Nonetheless I've bought a "significant" number of rifles, ammo, and accessories from them. If you pay attention to their sale flyers you can sometimes make a purchase that none of the dedicated gun stores could match.

I'm sure that other members have had different experiences with these stores. These reviews are based entirely on my personal experiences with them, and not on, "I heard", or, "Someone said", or some other BS line intended to denigrate the businesses.
    I am a firm believer in "Say it like it is, or shut the F*** up!!"
    Mike

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm becoming more and more of a fan of K&T guns in New haven. He will do FFL transfers for $20 - $25. Tomlinsons does an FFL transfer for the same amount. I like to buy used guns online if I find the right one and at least my local shops get a part of the action on the ffl transfer and then whatever ammo I buy there.

bigdaddy1427

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have purchased from Ed in the past, and never again. Not very friendly, and I have found that I can get better prices on line.

Ranger Supply in Times Corners is pretty decent, and B&H on Paulding does a pretty decent job.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    There's a fairly new shop out in New Haven that I have had good experiences with.
    K&T Guns and Supplies
    442 Lincoln Highway West
    New Haven IN 46774
    (260) 749-4867

I bought my first gun at Midwest Gun Exchange.
    3415 Grape Road
    Mishawaka IN 46545
    (574) 257-0020
    It is closer to 2 hours away from my house (Lima + Carroll roads), but the prices were the best I found by a margin of nearly 60 bucks - which was worth the time and fuel to drive there. Plus, the shop is huge; tons of selection, friendly staff, and all kinds of accessories. More than just a trip, it was an experience.

I also had a very good experience at 21st Century Firearms. Give them a buzz and ask what their prices are. Or you can PM Gamez235, since he works there and is an INGO Advertiser.

Caleb

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    have been saving your quarters in your sock drawer, and are ready to make a purchase.
    I bought a number of guns from Ed but when I showed up at his shop (with $1000 CASH in my pocket) but needed some guidance on what ar to buy, he did everythihng he could to run me off. Screw his business model. There are too many shop providing great service to put up with that.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I called up Ed a few years ago to buy a Benelli shotgun. When I told him what I wanted on the phone his reply was "Benelli?!?!? I didn't know they made guns anymore." :n00b:

He either isn't a Benelli dealer and wanted me to buy something else he stocked or he is completely ignorant for a gun salesman.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I called up Ed a few years ago to buy a Benelli shotgun. When I told him what I wanted on the phone his reply was "Benelli?!?!? I didn't know they made guns anymore." :n00b:

He either isn't a Benelli dealer and wanted me to buy something else he stocked or he is completely ignorant for a gun salesman.
    Strange... I bought my last Benelli from Ed.

Top Bottom