• ...and so much more!
  • Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I'd have to say that a big selection is most important

csice, I'll be at the shop this Saturday if you can make it down. From the extreme North Side of Fort Wayne you are looking at no more than a 45 minute drive. As far as selection goes we currently have about 1/2 a million in inventory. I know for a fact that most Fort Wayne shops carry only about 100K in inventory at best, so if that is what is most important please take the time and make the drive.
    You don't have to make an appointment and you do not have to buy. What you will need a good sense of humor, we like to have fun in the store. If you ask us a question and we don't know the answer we will not make one up, we are hunters and shooters foremost.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I know a nice little shop that sits right in the Fort...
    It's called Ranger Supply Co.
    It's not a big place but Russ will do his best to find what your looking for! All you have to do is stop there! It's located next to the "China Buffet" in Times Corners.
    Stop in and tell him what you need!

rfguy1984

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Mishawaka
    Gander Mountain: Decent Selection, high prices.
    H&H: Great Selection, reasonable prices.
    Tomlinsons: Pretty Good Selection, Good prices.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Teddy,

Thanks for the response, maybe I just hit him on a bad day (we all have them). I should mention that Ed Hirschy's has always been OK with me, a little low on the trade-in value, but at least he was honest and polite for his offer. Precision Arms of Indiana has always taken care of me as well and I am fortunate to have them 1/2 block from where I work.

Chip

Chip,

Have had a similar experience with the same guy. He must have a *lot* of bad days . . . .

+1 for Tomlinson's. Never had a bad experience at 21st, either.

csnoski

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hillside Shooting Sports

Csice

Hillside is located in Roanoke. They have a shotgun range and a small assortment of guns, ammo and reloading supplies. Greg can also order anything you might want. Limited hrs....Wed eves they are always open for shooting. It's worth the drive just to check it out, it's like going back in a time machine:)

My choc lab is welcome inside and even got some home made dog biscuits from one of the guys that hangs around. Real friendly place and fair prices on guns. That's where I got my pink handled S&W 642.

Here's their website Hillside Shooting Sports - Roanoke, Indiana

Django

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    New Haven
    Or try Shooters in New Haven
    (Heading down Coliseum take the second exit onto Lincoln highway, it's across the street from Krogers)
    Jerry is a nice guy and prices are usually reasonable. Inventory changes from day to day.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Or try Shooters in New Haven
    (Heading down Coliseum take the second exit onto Lincoln highway, it's across the street from Krogers)
    Jerry is a nice guy and prices are usually reasonable. Inventory changes from day to day.

I would agree with everything except for the inventory part. I bought my first pistol from him on my 21st birthday. Many of the guns he had up then are still there now. He's a good guy, but I've been seeing some of those guns for 10 years. I reccomend him to a lot of people.

There's a new guy just down the road from him now too called K&T Guns. It's a new store, but it's where the Boom & Bang store used to be. New store, new owner, but maybe two dozen guns in the store. It's filling up slowly and the guy said he'd happily do FFL transfers all day long for $25 a pop.

Django

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    New Haven
    KT
    Me and dad have been looking for a good place to buy guns and there doesn't seem to be much selection.
    K&T Guns | maybe two dozen guns in the store
    I would have mentioned (as it's a decent place) but I took "not much selection" to mean they wanted a larger inventory

Shooters
    I would agree with everything except for the inventory part. I bought my first pistol from him on my 21st birthday. Many of the guns he had up then are still there now
    lurker guns don't count :D

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    on the subject of Ed Herschy,

I bought a couple of guns from him over the years until two bad situations happened.

#1 I called him and asked him if he had any 9mm ammo. He said yes and gave me a description and dollar amount. I said OK, I will be out this afternoon. He said I needed to make an appt. I told him OK then I will be there at 2pm. he agreed. I then asked him to set aside the 1000 rounds of 9mm I was coming for. HE REFUSED. I asked him why I should make an appt if he is not going to save the ammo for me? He had no answer. I bought the ammo and swore I would never give him a penny of my money again.

#2 This happened before the ammo. I went in to Ed's shop with $1000 in CASH for an AR. I asked if he had any DPMS rifles. He called them garbage. I said OK, then how about Stag ARms. No they are garbage too. OK, I'll play. What do you suggest Ed? He says "only Colt or Armalite. I then say, with that in mind, do you have any 16" carbines, plat top in Colt or Armalite? (I ask him while he is standing in front of a line of rifles behind his back.) He says "You need to figure out what you want". I tell him, I wanted a Stag but you say a Colt or Armalite. I was a carbine with flattop. Can I see one. He reitierates that I do not know what I want. I gave up and left.

I went to Ranger Supply in Time Corners and bought a Stag for $800 and paid cash!
    guns015.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    on the subject of Ed Herschy,

I bought a couple of guns from him over the years until two bad situations happened.

#1 I called him and asked him if he had any 9mm ammo. He said yes and gave me a description and dollar amount. I said OK, I will be out this afternoon. He said I needed to make an appt. I told him OK then I will be there at 2pm. he agreed. I then asked him to set aside the 1000 rounds of 9mm I was coming for. HE REFUSED. I asked him why I should make an appt if he is not going to save the ammo for me? He had no answer. I bought the ammo and swore I would never give him a penny of my money again.

#2 This happened before the ammo. I went in to Ed's shop with $1000 in CASH for an AR. I asked if he had any DPMS rifles. He called them garbage. I said OK, then how about Stag ARms. No they are garbage too. OK, I'll play. What do you suggest Ed? He says "only Colt or Armalite. I then say, with that in mind, do you have any 16" carbines, plat top in Colt or Armalite? (I ask him while he is standing in front of a line of rifles behind his back.) He says "You need to figure out what you want". I tell him, I wanted a Stag but you say a Colt or Armalite. I was a carbine with flattop. Can I see one. He reitierates that I do not know what I want. I gave up and left.

I went to Ranger Supply in Time Corners and bought a Stag for $800 and paid cash!

There are so many stories like this that I hear from people, I really don't know how he's still in business. He'll never see another dime from me.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've bought a few guns from Ed. I will give him business, but not all my business.

There are better places to go if you want to browse or are uncertain what you want. I use Ed when I am looking for a specific gun I want, and am sure he has it.

First research your prices and know the best price you can buy the gun for elsewhere. Next call Ed, and see if he has the gun in stock. If he says, "Yes" tell him XX store has it for $YYY.YY. Ask him if he can beat the price. In my experience, he won't tell you the price over the phone, but he will tell you if he can beat a price so it's worth your time to drive out there.

He expects that if you set an appointment, you are making a purchase. However, if you inspect the gun and it's not to your satisfaction I've never found him to get ugly over it.

I have found him quite pleasant to talk with under the above transaction conditions. I've never had him rush me out of there if I am making a purchase. If I'm not making a purchase, I won't need more than 20 minutes to know that. Of course, I try to go during the week. Perhaps there is more pressure on appointment times on weekends?

He is a businessman and will try to make a buck off of you if you don't know your prices. Can't fault him for that.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That's kinda like saying I can't fault Gander mountain for charging $15 for a box of PMC bronze 223 55gr fmj, when normally they run about $7 a box. He's something else and I do fault him for that.

In all fairness I'll do this much. The next time I am considering buying a new rifle or whatever, I will call him up and see if he can beat the price I found. I'm gonna guess that conversation won't end up in an appointment, but maybe I'm wrong.

Top Bottom