• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I bought a smaller bottle of knob creek tonight to see if i like it. I wanted to get the four roses single but wasnt ready to spend 45$. Id like to try it first.

Brother in law and I love knob creek, four roses even more. :) I still like Jim beam and that's what I started on, although I do enjoy the double oak and Devils cut the most. Mmm

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I am not use to whiskey's acquired taste so take this as you will. I think knob creek is ok. Not much flavor? Semi "smooth" is my opinion. Itll be polished eventually but Ill continue looking. They have a small bottle of woodford at my local but Ill probably make my way to kroger to try the four roses.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Might be blasphemous around here, but I'm not really a fan of Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace has tasted inconsistent for 2 years now.

Try some Old Scout or OKI

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Might be blasphemous around here, but I'm not really a fan of Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace has tasted inconsistent for 2 years now.

Try some Old Scout or OKI

We each have our own tastes with whiskey. I'm a fan of Knob Creek 100 and 120 proof bourbons, but not their regular stuff. Don't like Woodford Reserve or Buffalo Trace either.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I got some crown royal for christmas.. i dont drink whiskey really this stuff is awful.

I would like to find something "smooth" for 50 or under. Something that doesnt make you have a face like you just smelled a fart in a taxi. What would be a good beginner bourbon?

The truth of the matter is if you think the stuff you listed tasted terrible, then maybe whiskey is just not for you? Prime example... I really am not a Gin fan, like at all. Swapping from Segrams to Bombay to the Botanist is really not changing the fact that at the end of the day, its all still Gin.

Sure, you do get variants in flavor profile from one to the other-just as you do in bourbon or scotch or whiskey in general.

At this point, I would say venture off into another spirit and find something you enjoy!

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    The truth of the matter is if you think the stuff you listed tasted terrible, then maybe whiskey is just not for you? Prime example... I really am not a Gin fan, like at all. Swapping from Segrams to Bombay to the Botanist is really not changing the fact that at the end of the day, its all still Gin.

Sure, you do get variants in flavor profile from one to the other-just as you do in bourbon or scotch or whiskey in general.

At this point, I would say venture off into another spirit and find something you enjoy!

^^^^^+1^^^^^ This says it all.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    We each have our own tastes with whiskey. I'm a fan of Knob Creek 100 and 120 proof bourbons, but not their regular stuff. Don't like Woodford Reserve or Buffalo Trace either.

I had a bottle of KC 120 that was pretty damn good, great taste, but I had an off batch or something but I could take a small sip or have a couple glasses and I'd have the most awful headache afterwards

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010

i agree with this .. im going to try a few good ones and see then move to something else. The problem is there is only a "best bourbon for under 50" on ingo.. so i wont know whats good if i try something else lol

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    i agree with this .. im going to try a few good ones and see then move to something else. The problem is there is only a "best bourbon for under 50" on ingo.. so i wont know whats good if i try something else lol

if price and retail availability are not an issue... I would look for some Weller12. It’s about 90 proof so it’s not going to be over the top in terms of harshness. It’s a whearer so it will be sweet, and it’s going to come off as “smooth. I would then look at Blantons, again the proofing is not to high so it’s going to pass the smooth test! It’s not a wheated bottle so it’s not gonna be to sweet. You can look at a bottle like Michters 20 and give that a go... it’s very bold, rich, and going to be a pour that probably sets the bar in terms of “best bourbon”.

If if you can get samples of Elijah Craig 18 and 23 from someplace this will give a totally different experience of aged vs young and again provide a smooth experience that you ask for. The older EC23 or even a Parker’s 27 year will be very oaked, but imo it’s what dirty old bourbon should be.

i am hesitant to mention these or others as the chances of finding them is gonna be close to zero.

If, and this is a huge if... you have bourbon buddies and you can find a bottle of William LaRue Weller (any year btac collection), Thomas Handy, Eagle Rare 17, or George T Stagg, these will set the standard. Again with these bottles being so rare (along with many others mentioned), I am hesitant to even mention them as I doubt you will ever find one, let alone see one.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    if price and retail availability are not an issue... I would look for some Weller12. It’s about 90 proof so it’s not going to be over the top in terms of harshness. It’s a whearer so it will be sweet, and it’s going to come off as “smooth. I would then look at Blantons, again the proofing is not to high so it’s going to pass the smooth test! It’s not a wheated bottle so it’s not gonna be to sweet. You can look at a bottle like Michters 20 and give that a go... it’s very bold, rich, and going to be a pour that probably sets the bar in terms of “best bourbon”.

If if you can get samples of Elijah Craig 18 and 23 from someplace this will give a totally different experience of aged vs young and again provide a smooth experience that you ask for. The older EC23 or even a Parker’s 27 year will be very oaked, but imo it’s what dirty old bourbon should be.

i am hesitant to mention these or others as the chances of finding them is gonna be close to zero.

If, and this is a huge if... you have bourbon buddies and you can find a bottle of William LaRue Weller (any year btac collection), Thomas Handy, Eagle Rare 17, or George T Stagg, these will set the standard. Again with these bottles being so rare (along with many others mentioned), I am hesitant to even mention them as I doubt you will ever find one, let alone see one.

where can i find weller12? Is it easy to find

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    where can i find weller12? Is it easy to find

There are 3 "common" Weller items, if you see any of them, buy them. All are under $35 in most places but all are fairly hard to find. They get general release, but they sell out fast. Sometimes you stumble upon one or another of them.

Weller Reserve, Weller 12 and Weller Antique.

FWIW, I have bottles of antique collection WLWeller, G.T.Stagg, Sazarac, etc as well as almost every one of the Parkers Heritage, and many other fine/rare bourbons. But honestly if you don't like Makers Mark you probably would not want to waste you time with any of the fine/rare products.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I'm not sure if it was the shrimp scampi I had for dinner, or coming in from moving snow, or both, but Michter's Small Batch (batch no. 17B435) was calling my name and it's really tripping my trigger. Many know I'm not a rye guy (& this is known for low rye content), but this has a pleasant, long-lasting almost creamy finish.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I bought a bottle of Big House brand bourbon from Marsh not too long ago as they were closing out all their alcohol. I'm pleasantly surprised with it.

It also makes a heck of an Old Fashioned cocktail for those of us who are manly enough to drink cocktails.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    There's nothing wrong with a good Old Fashioned.

At the risk of hijacking the thread: TRUTH, brother.

You can even doctor up the simple syrup to add in other flavors to the drink and make a REALLY good drink. More of a digestif. I've got a cinnimon/orange simple syrup that I use with my Rye and standard whiskey (Both happen to be George Dickel brand at the moment. I've yet to open the Four Roses I've got). I use my roasted apple-flavored syrup for the Big House bourbon. Oh man is that good stuff.

Top Bottom