• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The union at JIM BEAM's kentucky distillery voted to strike.

SEVERAL POINTS:

As JIM BEAM is now owned by Japan's Suntory Group, the strike does not seem to affect the other distilleries owned by the brand so the excellent Japanese offerings are still being distilled.

At the earliest, today's strike will affect Jim Beam White Label 4 years from today, Black Label 8 years from now, and at various times well into the future for the Signature Craft series. Some of the bottom shelf offerings may be affected as soon as 2 years from now.

The strike does not seem to affect many of the other distillers so those brands will not be in short supply at a future date.

Even if this is a somewhat prolonged strike for Beam/Suntory Group, the warehouses are already full of barrels that are aging and production has been running at record levels for the past couple of years so its unlikely that a strike of less than 6 or even 9 months will impact our enjoyment too much.

Just my opinion.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Anyone try the new JIM BEAM 'BLUE' Double Oak bourbon? Its modestly priced, about $25/bottle, give or take.

Supposed to be "double oak" aged. Taken out of one oak barrel after 4 years of age then moved into a second "freshly charred" oak barrel for an unstated period of time.

So near as I can tell its Jim Beam WHITE LABEL bourbon that is tossed into a second barrel to enhance the flavor. I picked up a bottle because its new and figured I give it a try. Have not cracked open the seal yet. Anyone have any thoughts? Generally I find Beam WHITE LABEL to be tasteless and not worth drinking. Hoping there may be something with added age in the freshly charred barrel. If not I'm sure I can pour it off to an in-law, tax collector or some other dishonorable individual.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Jim Beam BLUE LABEL Double Oak is a winner.

Honestly for $23 a bottle it surprised the heck out of me. We are sipping it at the NWI INGO CLUBHOUSE right now and everyone seems to enjoy it.

Beam White Label tastes like nothing. Heck I think that stuff waters down ice cubes.

Beam Black Label is OK, but not a standout, and I'd take Maker Mark over Black.

But the BLUE is actually pretty good. Got a nice amount of flavor, more than I expected (which is a good thing) but is really easy to drink straight.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    On another note I decided to try a rye whiskey. I picked up the Small Batch Bulleit 95 Rye Whiskey. I think I like this one very much. It is not harsh and has a good flavor that is quite strong, but doesn't burn. Everything I had heard about rye whiskeys was a harsher, stronger, less palatable flavoring. While this one has a strong flavor I didn't find that it put me off or was overly cutting. It made a very fine sipping whiskey.

Regards,

Doug

I like Bulleit Rye whiskey.....It's a good autumn/first fire in the fireplace at the shack kind of drink...Two cubes in a tumbler and a little dampness in the air...

I will toast the first frost and the death of my turkey tick herd of 3 million head that live on my place with Bulleit Rye this year...Just seems right somehow...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Everyone has a favorite place to sip a bourbon from...This is mine...In the winter I put an old blanket and a pillow in there, bring the binoculars and star gaze...It's perfect for that....

Late summer, guns cleaned, a small fruit jar with two cubes and a nice bourbon, old stained Stetson hat, Smith and Wesson's hanging from a peg on the side of the little barn, and me in my cool cast iron/porcelain easy chair....

I have a standard line I deliver to the Mrs. when she comes out to check on me..

"Hey L.A. Girl...Whut you reckon the po' folks are doin' today???? Not livin' this high on the hawg I garantee it...Beverly Hills ain't got nuthin' on these Hoosier Hills I am telling you right now..." and then I sing a little song I made up one night...

"The lights of the prison
    shine over the ridge...
    five year old Bourbon
    on top of the fridge..

Cast iron bath tub
    on the creek rock out back
    and a beautiful bride
    with a double D rack..."

I am still working on a chorus...Something about how folks measure wealth differently...Any INGO input would be greatly appreciated.....

It took me a couple of months to tell her what the light glowing over the ridge was....The prison is about 5 miles away but the lights sure enough glow at night....

Last edited:

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    :hijack:
    Okay so not recommending a bourbon here, just a good bourbon story.

My buddy and I were hanging out the other night, having cigars, playing cards, drinking some bourbon (Larceny). Not a bad bourbon for the price. His gf says she is going to the store, I jokingly said that she might want to pick up another bottle for us just in case. He had just bought here a nice pair of boots she wanted. She comes back and sets a brown paper bag in front of us. We open it to be surprised with a bottle of Blanton's. Need less to say, we put the Larceny away and pursued enjoying the Blanton's. I am unsure if he realizes it yet, but that girl there is marriage material.

/end threadjack.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Anyone try the new JIM BEAM 'BLUE' Double Oak bourbon? Its modestly priced, about $25/bottle, give or take.

I picked up one this am and am taking it out to the shack for a test run this evening...I will post a review Tuesday taken first hand from the official Perry County Bourbon Taste Test Rocking Chair and Porch Facility.....AKA "the foot of the holler"....

BTW it was $19.99 at the Keg on Lewis and Clark in the lil' 'ville....

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Got one of the Limited Edition YELLOWSTONE bourbons tonight. Its the 2016 release in the black tube. 101 proof. Really liked last year's limited edition, hoping this will be as good. Hard to find this one but not as rare as Pappy or any of the Buffalo Trace "Antique Collection" brands, but its only at the stores that do large volume and have larger selections. Just north of $100/bottle.

There is also a mass market YELLOWSTONE that is modestly priced, roughly $39/bottle. Its not at all stores but its available at stores with larger selections. This one is good too and roughly 1/3rd the price of the annual Limited Edition releases.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jim Beam Blue double oak review......

A buddy came up and we metal detected around the farm...Found a 1920's shot shell and a very cool, hand forged ax head from 1810-1850 (as best as I can tell...) We have found signs that there was another homestead on the property before our's was built in 1880 or so, mostly broken stoneware and some old iron pieces...After detecting and my friend left I retired to the porch for some libations.....

Three big cubes in a little fruit jar then filled to the rim...A very nice color (as to be expected), a little woody but not as much as I expected...Some bite but not overwhelming...Like an ear nip from a cur dog that loves you...Reminded me a little (but not much) of Buffalo Trace....I enjoyed it...I remember an interview I saw with a half dozen master distillers and they all said their grandfather's would laugh over the high end stuff they are putting out now and the way we worry over flavor...I remember one saying "Dad called this stuff we are making now "women's whiskey" lol."....This bourbon is bourbon in it's truest form...A little bit of flavor with a wisp of woodsmoke...It was perfect sipping in front of the first fire in the fireplace of the year as I cleaned my K 22....It reminded me of my grandfather and my mountain cur dog....It reminded me of Hoppes number 9 and my rural Kentucky roots.....The bottle is beautiful and for $20 it is a nice "deer camp" bourbon....

Give it a try.....

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    So I realize the original question was asked 2 1/2 years ago, and I've only traveled about half of the Bourbon Trail, but so far, the best I've had is Knob Creek Single Barrel - Barrel Strength 120 proof. It is about $45/bottle when you can find it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Well folks the Holiday's are here...And that means cool little extras when you go to buy a bottle of your favorite libations....I picked up this gift pack today for the cost of a regular bottle of Knob Creek.....

knob-Creek-gift.jpg

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So, what is the absolute worst, :poop:iest whiskey ever???

My buddy and I have a deal. IF Gary Johnson wins, he will buy a bottle of Cristal Champaigne, a bottle of Jefferson Oceanus, and I will supply the absolute best cigars I can to celebrate.

IF Hillary Clinton wins, I will supply the absolute nastiest, most horrible cigars and will will just drink a nice bourbon.

IF Donald Trump wins, we will do very nice cigars and drink the most horrible, rot gut whiskey available.

So my hopeful question is - what is the worst drink out thar? And I don't mean polluting it, I mean straight out of the bottle NASTY!

Thanks (I think),

Doug

Top Bottom