looks like i have created a monster ;-)

I never expected this kind of feedback - thanks a lot to all of you

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have to put in another vote for the Browning Hi Power. It is hard to argue with a classic. Glack 19 & Sig 226 have to be close seconds.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I never expected this kind of feedback - thanks a lot to all of you
    Heh.. the 21 page thread of Glock vs. Sig wasn't a hint for you? ;) That was just debating two of the arguably best manufacturers for semiautos. You asked for THE best, therefore letting just anyone think their gun was the best, no matter who made it. ;) This thread will go on for at least two more weeks. ;)

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Sig P226. I good friend in the Navy who used Sig P226's quite a bit explained to me why the Sig was better than the M-9 and any other handgun he was familiar with while I was in the Air Force. I still trust his opinion to this day and own an early P226, about the 37,000 P226 manufactured in West Germany. Not to say the other pistols are crap, I feel good about any weapon made by a quality manufacturer (Colt, Beretta, Sig, Glock, and many, many others), but when I can have it, I want a SIG P226.

Last edited:

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    I've fired 92fs and clones thereof, G19, G26, 9mm AR15 pistol (lol), XD, XDM, H&K P7M13 and H&K P30L.

My choice for best shooting pistol- P7M13. Best to carry- P30L (almost as accurate and wearing the finish off of this gun won't hurt it's value).

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Beretta 92 or Glock 17 here in the US. There are tons of surplus magazines and parts running around EVERYWHERE. Plus, if the cop or soldier you're providing cover fire for eats one, you can grab his/her gear and get back into the fight.

Browning HP would be a good choice for similar reasons overseas.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just bought my first handgun and it was kind of funny but all the truly objective experienced owners I talked to first said the same thing, "try 'em on and buy the one you like". My mentor was my son who is a .45 Sig fan but also has a Baretta 9mm. Without knowing all the history behind Glock, I ended up buying a 17. I had no bias against the polymer body and just couldn't get past how wonderfully light they are. It doesn't hurt that they're half the price. Now that I've done a lot of research on what I bought, I realize I got one of the great classics in the industry.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    OP Did you buy one yet? I say go with anything made by Jimenez :)

Just kidding, I'm a Smith and Wesson M&P 9 guy. Of course, I think everyone's first 9mm should be a Glock 19.

Here's the website that ends this thread. : The Best Nines - Best 9mm Pistol Site handgun review test gun dealer auction

I own or have owned: #2, #4, #7, #8 and #19 They are all good guns, but number #8 out shoots them all. Feels like I was born with it connected to my hand. The doctor must have removed it at birth and stored it at Bud's Gun Shop until I was old enough to buy it. I just bought a 2nd one as a back-up because I didn't want my other hand to feel left out and because I want to start using the M&P in matches.

With that said, I can say that some people agree with the link above that a well broken in CZ-75b is the sweetest shooting 9mm of the bunch.

Here's what we should do...Everyone that has given their opinion on the best 9mm should have a group shoot. We should all just bring our favorite 9mm (so we only have to clean one afterwards) and set up a buffet table of 9mms to test an try out :)

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Heh.. the 21 page thread of Glock vs. Sig wasn't a hint for you? ;) That was just debating two of the arguably best manufacturers for semiautos. You asked for THE best, therefore letting just anyone think their gun was the best, no matter who made it. ;) This thread will go on for at least two more weeks. ;)

You know, she has a point. I think mine is the best.:rockwoot:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    It was going to be turned into this!

30rvdz6.jpg

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    One final thing to keep in mind. If you have to use your pistol in self defense, the perp is really not going to care what gun the bullets currently expanding in their chest cavity were fired from.

Last edited:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    One final thing to keep in mind. If you have to use your pistol in self defense, the perp is really not going to care what gun the bullets currently expanding in their chest cavity was fired from.

Priority #1 in a fighting handgun: it goes bang EVERY time.

Priority #2 in a fighting handgun: IT GOES BANG EVERY TIME!!!

Priority #3 in a fighting handgun: You have it with you when you need it.

All else..... not so important. :)
    I tend to stick with Glock, HK, and Sig Sauer. (in no particular order there) since they meet the above three criteria.

Top Bottom