• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    After hem-hawing back and forth for 2 days, I finally went back to the Stout Field show and picked this up this morning. Model 1916 Berthier infantry rifle (WWI and WWII rifle). I have always loved the lines of the Berthiers and this one is in really good shape for a 100 year old rifle. The 8mm Lebel round is a lot of fun to shoot too. It was the first smokeless cartridge and was a vast improvement over the black powder cartridges of the time.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Do you have ammo, Jim? Dies and brass?

8mm Lebel is a tough find these days!!

Yep, all of the above! I've got two other Berthiers besides this one - a 1907/15 sporter and a 1907/15 carbine. The carbine was converted to use the 5 shot clips like this long rifle too. The sporter still uses the 3 shot clips.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Yep they do. I've got a few hundred rounds of Prvi. I'm on the Notify list at Sportsman's Guide for it now too. I keep hoping they'll get more in while they're having their free shipping promos.

That was my point!! The PPU ammo is sold out everywhere, and no one knows for sure if they are making more.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That was my point!! The PPU ammo is sold out everywhere, and no one knows for sure if they are making more.

I'm hoping, now that the election is over, that they'll be switching some of their production from the more popular calibers back to some of the more obscure ones. They've been out of 8x56R for a little while too, but they did just get 6.5 Jap back in after they were out for a few months. Of course the Jap is made by Graf and not PPU. Honestly though, with what I have and with reloading I probably have enough to last for years. It's not like I go out and blow through hundreds of rounds at a range trip. :):

One guy at the show had 60 rounds of surplus Lebel, but I wasn't going to pay a buck a round for surplus when the commercial is the same price.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    does the bore look as nice as the rest of the rifle, that.s sweet!!

Yep, the bore looks great. I made sure I checked it before I offered to buy it. Nice strong rifling, and no pitting. I may run a boresnake through it tomorrow to see if there's any frosting, but if there is I don't think it's much.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Great for the Next 2 weeks this is how Doggy Daddy will see himself...

On-les-Aura-LB.jpg

And this is how Doggy Mommy & Doggy Doggy will be seeing him...

Alone_at_last2.jpg

Awesome rifle......

Il n'est rien de réel que le rêve et l'amour

Ronn38

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Bravo!!! I walked past that same gun many times, and picked it up twice at the show-but the beretta got me in the end. Glad it went to someone who appreciates her!

Ronn

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Bravo!!! I walked past that same gun many times, and picked it up twice at the show-but the beretta got me in the end. Glad it went to someone who appreciates her!

Ronn
    I'm glad the Beretta got you! :): I was a little surprised that it was still there Sunday morning.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Looks like everyone had fun and got things they like. Nice rifle! The bayonet on those makes for an awesome combination!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Looks like everyone had fun and got things they like. Nice rifle! The bayonet on those makes for an awesome combination!

I've got the bayonet (already had it before I even owned a Berthier). It will look a lot more "in scale" on the long rifle than it does on the carbine!

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Great for the Next 2 weeks this is how Doggy Daddy will see himself...

And this is how Doggy Mommy & Doggy Doggy will be seeing him...

Awesome rifle......

Il n'est rien de réel que le rêve et l'amour

Doggy Mommy won't like it when he starts sleeping with the rifle in a trench he dug in the backyard...

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I've got the bayonet (already had it before I even owned a Berthier). It will look a lot more "in scale" on the long rifle than it does on the carbine!

That is an awesome bayonet, I do not know which I like better, this one, or the Cruciform spiked version. But that carbine with the bayonet sure would make a nice frog gig

Last edited:
    Top Bottom