Beretta 80X Cheetahs - Out for sale yet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Yes, they're available. Google coulda told you that. Haven't seen any personally though.

I love a metal framed DA/SA but no thanks. Have had and shot it's predecessor, the 84fs and my wife still has a CZ83. No thanks. half again the weight, twice the grip girth, twice the slide tension, all the recoil, for the same capacity as a P365x 9mm... but .380.

I'd love to shoot one and be proven wrong though. Unlikely, but always possible.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yes, they're available. Google coulda told you that. Haven't seen any personally though.

I love a metal framed DA/SA but no thanks. Have had and shot it's predecessor, the 84fs and my wife still has a CZ83. No thanks. half again the weight, twice the grip girth, twice the slide tension, all the recoil, for the same capacity as a P365x 9mm... but .380.

I'd love to shoot one and be proven wrong though. Unlikely, but always possible.
    Show us where they're available.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Touche, lots of places list them FS, the first 3 don't have them in stock. I'm not in the market so I'm not digging past 3.
    It's like the 92Xi's i'm waiting for, the launch edition just finally started being available but the standard ones show up now at dealer sites but are not available yet. Some sites when you first look make it look like they are in stock.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Seen the name...sounds like a cool gun
    Looked it up........it's a 380, half the slide is milled or cast out and has a $900 or such price tag.
    It's an easy pass. Had it been a 9 10mm or 45 with a full slide and maybe ported for looks of course then maybe, but still not at that price point with my options. When i saw a pic of it from the Beretta website, it initially looked the size of a 1911, then i watched the Beretta usa guy show n tell video. Wasn't impressed at all with it. I think there are alot better caliber options and makes under (i think the Beretta guy said msrp was 999 and 899 for the black model) the price of the 80X.

KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    I don't think Beretta brought this out to compete with the current line of 9mm micro carry guns. I think they were maybe looking at a little more nostalgia market. People who like the original Cheetah 84 or the Browning BDA. Having said that, maybe I am off base because if that was their intention, they missed the mark. Now if they offered a deep blued version with nice wood stocks and no rail, I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. If I buy one, it will be a shooter, not an EDC.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I don't think Beretta brought this out to compete with the current line of 9mm micro carry guns. I think they were maybe looking at a little more nostalgia market. People who like the original Cheetah 84 or the Browning BDA. Having said that, maybe I am off base because if that was their intention, they missed the mark. Now if they offered a deep blued version with nice wood stocks and no rail, I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.
    I don't think you are off the mark, I think Beretta absolutely wants to capitalize on the nostalgia of the old 84's, people still like those even though we know there are more practical options. At the same time I don't blame them for updating them a little bit with the rails and optic option. There wasn't really any need for them to offer a deep blued and wood grip version as there are still a ton out there. Here's just three that you can open your wallet for right now:

KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    I don't think you are off the mark, I think Beretta absolutely wants to capitalize on the nostalgia of the old 84's, people still like those even though we know there are more practical options. At the same time I don't blame them for updating them a little bit with the rails and optic option. There wasn't really any need for them to offer a deep blued and wood grip version as there are still a ton out there. Here's just three that you can open your wallet for right now:

Yep. You bring up a very good point. I had looked a little while back and the ones I had seen were a little rough. Guess there are nice ones out there if one is patient. I will probably still buy one of 80x though.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yep. You bring up a very good point. I had looked a little while back and the ones I had seen were a little rough. Guess there are nice ones out there if one is patient. I will probably still buy one of 80x though.
    You used to get nice ones all day long in the 400's but like a lot of old guns they got popular again and prices shot up.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    As others have said, it's an oversized blowback .380. And it's overpriced. I have no interest in that. I do have an old 81, and it's a fun pistol in .32 ACP, but it's basically just a range toy. It's a good one to use to teach new shooters who are recoil sensitive a DA/SA platform, though.

I am a fan of the Beretta X grip...I have a 92X compact and absolutely love it. A .22 version of the 80X would be welcome...especially if they can make it more available and at a lower price point than what 87s are currently going for.

I have a pipe dream about the Cheetah series that I know would never happen, but it would be cool. IMO Beretta should re-design it to use a locked breach and sell it in 9mm. The 92FS is an awesome gun, but just a bit chunky for carry, even the compact models. A trimmed down, lighter version in the Cheetah form factor would be awesome and fill a niche that is currently unserved...a true compact metal-framed DA/SA pistol.

I know it's been done in the past by numerous companies, but most of those were single-stack, and they've been discontinued because they can't compete with the capacity of the new micro-nines. It would require a complete re-design of the Cheetah action, but I think it would appeal to a lot of the 92 fans as a similar design it a much more carry-able form factor. I don't see it happening, but I can dream.

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I used to own an 84F. Great classic gun and it has such a beautiful look. Sold it recently since it sat in the safe collecting dust. The .380 ammo is expensive compared to 9mm. I believe it was standard firearm for some European police forces, especially Italy. Pleasure to shoot. Just been past by in this golden age of handguns and 9mm dominance. Not sure there is a market for these but whatever. Plenty of used available.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    EAA/Girsan just released a 13+1, tip up barrel .380

https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-14t/
    Now this is interesting. We've been looking for a pistol for my wife to carry. She likes my 92 because she can actually rack the slide. But it's big and heavy and I know she won't carry it. My dad has a cheetah and I've been wanting to get her to shoot it to see how she does with it and maybe talk him out of it. But the slide manipulation may be an issue, but the tip barrel solves that for her. I may have to look for one of these.

Top Bottom