Not open for further replies.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Dusty88, I would think that this year’s flu season would be lighter than usual. Sure, not everyone is adhering to the prescribed mitigations, but a lot of people are, compared with normal flu season. I am starting to see more people violate the mask mandate in indoor public spaces. But still in a given venue more people are wearing them, and wearing them correctly, than not. More people appear to be keeping their distance than not. Venues are still cleaning their stuff more often than normally. So, if the mitigations are effective at all, they should also be effective for the flu, at least a little.

I agree, but I think many people are under estimating the danger we are already in, added to the Thanksgiving travel and students coming home from college.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    WOW!!! Surprised this even got out.

Top Canadian pathologist Dr. Roger Hodkinson told Alberta government officials that the current coronavirus crisis is “the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on an unsuspecting public.”

Dr. Hodkinson responded on a zoom call in Canada the following:
    Noting that he was also an expert in virology, Hodkinson pointed out that his role as CEO of a biotech company that manufactures COVID tests means, “I might know a little bit about all this.”
    “There is utterly unfounded public hysteria driven by the media and politicians, it’s outrageous, this is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on an unsuspecting public,” said Hodkinson.

The doctor said that nothing could be done to stop the spread of the virus besides protecting older more vulnerable people and that the whole situation represented “politics playing medicine, and that’s a very dangerous game.”

This is just too much common sense. Even applying it to Indiana where the deaths in Long Term Care facilities make up 55% of the states death toll..... over half of the deaths in Indiana are people in a literal lockdown in a pseudo "medical facility".

LTC only make up 5% of the cases in Indiana. (282,311 total cases in the State, 12,820 in LTC)

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Lock downs etc. are not about "stopping the spread". They are about control, and "security theater". It is the same methodology that gets you to let the TSA molest the 80 year old woman with the invasive "pat down", and virtually strip you in the walk through CT, while they let the middle eastern looking guy in his 20's walk through so they don't get accused of "profiling".

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Hospitals are "ALWAYS OUT OF OR SHORT ON BEDS"

Always.

IUH built a whole new replacement hospital in Bloomington with FEWER beds so they can run higher occupancy and bill more people for ambulance rides to Indy.

These are moneymaking enterprises. It's like a factory, nobody pays lease and maintenance on empty space and idle machinery just in case they need it one day. If you have extra, it gets cut so it doesn't cost you money.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    IUH built a whole new replacement hospital in Bloomington with FEWER beds so they can run higher occupancy and bill more people for ambulance rides to Indy.

These are moneymaking enterprises. It's like a factory, nobody pays lease and maintenance on empty space and idle machinery just in case they need it one day. If you have extra, it gets cut so it doesn't cost you money.
    And their properties are generally tax exempt, meaning municipalities provide them fire protection, police protection, street maintenance, etc for free.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I agree, but I think many people are under estimating the danger we are already in, added to the Thanksgiving travel and students coming home from college.
    Maybe some people are overestimating it. This happens every year. What’s different about this year is that we have a flu-like pandemic, and we have people who are doing things they don’t do in a normal year that would tend to limit the spread of the flu. Of course, because people will be doing typical holiday stuff, there will be more covid cases as a result. But I seriously doubt that we’ll have anything close to a typical flu season.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    At what point do the states become liable for lost business revenues under the takings clause of the Constitution? I don't think they'd have a case, Federally, as there is no Federal shutdown, but certainly states that have shut down to varying degrees bear some measure of liability, don't they?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    At what point do the states become liable for lost business revenues under the takings clause of the Constitution? I don't think they'd have a case, Federally, as there is no Federal shutdown, but certainly states that have shut down to varying degrees bear some measure of liability, don't they?

Its does not matter. Nor will it make a difference.
    The small, mom n pop, biz wont come back.
    New ones may replace some (ie new local deli taking over the place of old one) and new small biz will crop up based on changing markets (ie. Online delivery shift, etc)

But the small biz that are dying or have died dont have the resources to band together to fight the state(s).

Nor does the public care.
    Most are living in fear inside their prisons getting paid n shopping online.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Its does not matter. Nor will it make a difference.
    The small, mom n pop, biz wont come back.
    New ones may replace some (ie new local deli taking over the place of old one) and new small biz will crop up based on changing markets (ie. Online delivery shift, etc)

But the small biz that are dying or have died dont have the resources to band together to fight the state(s).

Nor does the public care.
    Most are living in fear inside their prisons getting paid n shopping online.

Yes sir.
    We have lost our back bones.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yes sir.
    We have lost our back bones.

There was a time when I would have the occasional snicker when made aware of a situation that had the British people (once the most free on the planet) begging and groveling at the feet of the political class. Isn't nearly so amusing to see it happening here.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Dan Price is the CEO of the online credit card processing company Gravity Payments which he started while a student

I do not agree with this guy on many things but this is so spot on.

Amazon: profit up 100%
    Walmart: profit up 80%
    Target: profit up 80%
    Lowe’s: profit up 74%
    Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Google: stock at record high

Small businesses: 21% closed; revenue for rest down 30%. They’re gonna go extinct in the lockdown without help.
    — Dan Price (@DanPriceSeattle) November 19, 2020

Wealth increase in the pandemic for founder/CEOs of
    Amazon: $91 billion
    Walmart: $38B
    Google: $37B
    Microsoft: $33B
    Facebook: $28B
    Nike: $8B
    Apple: $8B

Small businesses: collectively lost over $200 billion
    We’re witnessing a record wealth transfer

Amazon: profit tripled, axed $2/hour bonus in May
    Kroger: sales up 30%, workers got $100 store credit
    Walmart: Walton wealth up $38B, workers got $300 bonuses
    Dollar General: $2.6B stock buybacks, workers got $173M

They’re not essential
    They’re disposablehttps://t.co/SrO77TYd9j

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...-businesses-profits-global-corporations-soar/

This got little response when I posted it but look at how mega companies are at least benefiting this situation, if not fanning the flames to burn small businesses...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This got little response when I posted it but look at how mega companies are at least benefiting this situation, if not fanning the flames to burn small businesses...

Take into consideration how the big boxes are flipping the customer service model on its head and adopting a "you'll take it our way or you don't get anything" approach, it gets scarier yet.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Don't most state gov'ts have some form of sovereign immunity? So basically, you can only sue them if they agree to allow it? I'm thinking that permission would be hard to comeby

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    How does that go, though?

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"

If they destroy everything a man values, they create freedom of action. The left doesn't seem to have much sense about how far is too far

I would disagree. Those are just song lyrics. I don't think freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - maybe broke or destitute or insolvent are just another word for nothing left to lose but freedom has a completely different meaning to me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom