• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LongRangeBushy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Wabash County
    I have Milwaukee tools so I got the chainsaw it works great. It uses Oregon bars and chains for replacement stuff too. Easy to find and works great … I used it alot to clean up after storms etc…

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I really appreciate all the input.

I have some Craftsman 19.2v tools, not looking to invest in that platform any deeper. They are not the same quality as a previous set I bought about 15 years ago.

I appreciate the questions on the battery platform, my next purchase is something I plan to build on but didn't add that in the first post. I will probably get a pole chain saw & possibly a blower to go with it.

Never thought I would get battery powered outdoor tools but I now need to consider lighter tools.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ryobi is good for homeowners. Build quality is a little below Dewalt. I wouldnt use them daily in the trades, but they'll last just fine using them around the house and volunteer work at church.

they are approaching 300 18v tools in their lineup. Its nuts. If you go that way (18v):

-Go the biggest, brushless you can. The step up from entry level isnt much ($50?) and you typically get a better battery and charger.
    -Buying the kit with the battery is almost always the way to go. The batteries start at like $80, and the typical upcharge for the kit (battery AND charger) is $50.
    -If you can, spring for the performance batteries. Some tools can use extra torque that the performance batteries give. Like my angle grinder will stall out and shut down with a standard battery if I load it up too much.
    -Beware the Home Depot clearance aisles. They like to put older higher priced tools out and you get screwed. I just saw an old style 18v "dremel" kit for $70 on clearance. The new upgraded current model is only $40 with the rest of the tools.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I would recommend rigid like I always do in these conversations because they have a lifetime warranty on the tools and batteries…… but this is the ONE department I find they lack in and that is outdoor landscaping type tools (trimmers weed eaters chainsaws etc etc) hopefully they will come around since I am heavily invested in that platform.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    After using a battery trimmer and blower, I couldn't imagine moving away from my 2-cycle chainsaw.
    Battery tools are nice for quick, short duration use. But I've been unimpressed with the longevity of the battery.
    Sure I could by a 2nd one to swap out. But the prices are outrageous. Especially considering I can simply top off the chainsaw tank and continue to cut away.
    BTW, the trimmer/blower combo I have is a $300 Ego set with 2.5hr battery. Like I said, small jobs... Fine.

If you want a lower weight chainsaw, you might consider a top handle model. Stihl, Shindaiwa/Echo, Husky make some good models.
    The main saw I use around the house is a Tanaka 32cc model with a 14" Oregon PowerSharp bar/chain/sharpening stone.
    I've bought the chainsaw about 10 years ago (refurbished). Don't hate on me for shying away from the "file" and using the PowerSharp system.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    After using a battery trimmer and blower, I couldn't imagine moving away from my 2-cycle chainsaw.
    Battery tools are nice for quick, short duration use. But I've been unimpressed with the longevity of the battery.
    Sure I could by a 2nd one to swap out. But the prices are outrageous. Especially considering I can simply top off the chainsaw tank and continue to cut away.
    BTW, the trimmer/blower combo I have is a $300 Ego set with 2.5hr battery. Like I said, small jobs... Fine.

If you want a lower weight chainsaw, you might consider a top handle model. Stihl, Shindaiwa/Echo, Husky make some good models.
    The main saw I use around the house is a Tanaka 32cc model with a 14" Oregon PowerSharp bar/chain/sharpening stone.
    I've bought the chainsaw about 10 years ago (refurbished). Don't hate on me for shying away from the "file" and using the PowerSharp system.
    At least with Ryobi, I learned a cool trick. NEVER buy bare tools, even if you think you have enough batteries. Too many? Dont take the battery out of the box. You'll need it later.

Ryobi is very proud of their batteries. Unless you buy a tool bundle. (tool/battery/charger) You can buy the kit for an extra $30-50, when the battery it includes starts at $110!

Once I learned that, I stopped buying bare tools. I now have a stack of spare batteries, and it came in handy. I had a couple cells blow out on one of my original batteries yesterday, (tool would only last 60 seconds even though it was a 4ah battery) so I simply tossed the battery and grabbed one of the boxed spare batteries. :rockwoot:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Our EGO mower will do the whole yard on two 56v batteries. The chainsaw has not been used much but did everything I asked of it so far. We already had the mower and two batteries, so the chainsaw was a logical choice.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Our EGO mower will do the whole yard on two 56v batteries. The chainsaw has not been used much but did everything I asked of it so far. We already had the mower and two batteries, so the chainsaw was a logical choice.
    Does the EGO chainsaw accept oregon bar and chain? I'm in the market for a batt. operated saw. There's fabulous info in this thread but few posts are clear about bar/chain combos. I realize the batteries tend to be proprietary, but it's the bar/chain down the road I worry about.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Does the EGO chainsaw accept oregon bar and chain? I'm in the market for a batt. operated saw. There's fabulous info in this thread but few posts are clear about bar/chain combos. I realize the batteries tend to be proprietary, but it's the bar/chain down the road I worry about.
    Quick search says yes to both. The recommended replacement chain for EGO is of Oregon manufacture.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Does anyone have either of the Harbor Freight battery saws? Not going to be using it commercially & mostly for quick small cleanup jobs so the warranty looks pretty promising.

I have a nice old Husqvarna 61(?) for the heavy stuff.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    One more vote for EGO. I bought the 21" self-propelled bagging mower (small yard, I'm old), and liked it so much I bought the 21" 2-stage snow blower, the 650mph leaf blower, the edger, the string trimmer, and the hedge trimmer. All have plenty of power. I don't miss gas-powered anything. EGO batteries are pricey, and the warranty has been cut from 5 years to 3 years. That said, do NOT try to use aftermarket/3rd party batteries. All they offer is 1/2 the price and 1/4 of the life: total waste of money. Some of them are over 56V, which give the impression of 'more power' because the machine runs faster. Too much of that will destroy your tool(s). Stick to EGO brand batteries. If I had a use for a chainsaw, I'd certainly consider EGO.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Does anyone have either of the Harbor Freight battery saws? Not going to be using it commercially & mostly for quick small cleanup jobs so the warranty looks pretty promising.

I have a nice old Husqvarna 61(?) for the heavy stuff.
    No, but it's on my short list (if you're asking about the chainsaws). I'm invested in Bauer because I'm cheap. Like all of my HF buys, if it last this job/task, everything else is a bonus. As to non-chainsaw batt. powered HF tools, none of mine have failed. They have little issues like the light went out on the hammer drill, etc. I plan to look at the chainsaw in person tomorrow and if it accepts aftermarket bar/chain I'll post my review. I use a Echo cs590 for felling and bucking.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    No, but it's on my short list (if you're asking about the chainsaws). I'm invested in Bauer because I'm cheap. Like all of my HF buys, if it last this job/task, everything else is a bonus. As to non-chainsaw batt. powered HF tools, none of mine have failed. They have little issues like the light went out on the hammer drill, etc. I plan to look at the chainsaw in person tomorrow and if it accepts aftermarket bar/chain I'll post my review. I use a Echo cs590 for felling and bucking.
    I am pretty sure at least 1 of their chainsaws takes an Oregon bar, not sure which one or may be both. I think the Bauer is the line that uses the same batteries for the chainsaw & pole chainsaw as the small tools. I am leaning toward that to start building on that platform. I have a 10+ year old Craftsman 19.2v set now with 2 lith batteries but looking to start upgrading

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I used my Ryobi 18” 40v for the first time yesterday and was happy. Cut up a downed tree top in the yard, pieces up to 8” diameter, worked like a champ. Battery lasted longer than I did.

I already had a Ryobi 40 V line trimmer, so I dithered between the Ryobi chainsaw and the Greenworks one. I’m not going to lumberjack her retirement hobby, so I went with the Ryobi for the battery commonality and the good reviews. Like it so far!

Top Bottom