Ballistic Knives - Why are these banned?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It probably went along with when automatic knives were banned, in the misguided interest of keeping weapons off the street.

These shouldn't be banned, of course.

With that said, why would someone want one of these things? Or, more precisely, do they have any practical use beyond the cool factor?

I just can't see using it in a self-defense situation: You start with a knife, but then you shoot the blade. You might miss. A hit would likely fail to incapacitate, and you're down a weapon.
    No, automatic knives were after Blackboard Jungle, ballistic knives were after Commando, 30 years later.

15 USC §1245 was passed after the movie "Commando" where Arnold Schwarzenegger uses one to kill a drug deal's merc (right before he blows up the compound IIRC).

The U.S. Senate and House delegation from New York conspired in mid-80s to label ballistic knives, "the favorite weapons of drug dealers". Mario Biaggi (D-Federal Prison) called that the blades flew like bullets and penetrated ballistic vests. It was all a lie. No police officer was ever shot with a ballistic knife.

Like all anti-thing laws, it was based on lies.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    okay.. lol.. anyway Im going to write Lucas about the Ballistic Knives thing
    Slow down there bud!

We just got an over 400 year old ancient weapon used by people dressed all in black who usurped leaders for money repealed!

And now you want to repeal a law, banning a 50 year old weapon used by people wearing camouflage who usurp people for money?

Know your role bud!…we’ve only got about a 350 years to go till that happens!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But lots of lots (see what I did there?) chain off their lot entries, so you have to park on the street, or halfway into their lot entrance. Then I always feel like I'm doing something I shouldn't be. :):
    You should have been with me one sunday back in the late 90s. I was looking for a used car. I was walking through the lot and found a Saturn that looked good. Instinctively I pulled on the door handle and it opened. Cool? (I realized that reflex shouldnt have been rewarded) So I sat down in it. Felt good. I was poking and prodding so I opened the glove box. What do we have here? The wallet card with emergency keys in it. I could have driven it off the lot right there, effortlessly. (it wasnt chained off)

Needless to say I nervously returned the keys to the glove box, locked the doors and left.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    It probably went along with when automatic knives were banned, in the misguided interest of keeping weapons off the street.

These shouldn't be banned, of course.

With that said, why would someone want one of these things? Or, more precisely, do they have any practical use beyond the cool factor?

I just can't see using it in a self-defense situation: You start with a knife, but then you shoot the blade. You might miss. A hit would likely fail to incapacitate, and you're down a weapon.
    Auto knifes are banned?

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No, automatic knives were after Blackboard Jungle, ballistic knives were after Commando, 30 years later.

15 USC §1245 was passed after the movie "Commando" where Arnold Schwarzenegger uses one to kill a drug deal's merc (right before he blows up the compound IIRC).

The U.S. Senate and House delegation from New York conspired in mid-80s to label ballistic knives, "the favorite weapons of drug dealers". Mario Biaggi (D-Federal Prison) called that the blades flew like bullets and penetrated ballistic vests. It was all a lie. No police officer was ever shot with a ballistic knife.

Like all anti-thing laws, it was based on lies.
    Part of the whole ban things because of movies craze of the 80s...

Like I said, this is the last thing in that section of law that is a stupid ban..

No one fought these back then because we all thought, well who wants those things anyway..

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Part of the whole ban things because of movies craze of the 80s...

Like I said, this is the last thing in that section of law that is a stupid ban..

No one fought these back then because we all thought, well who wants those things anyway..
    We must be so blase now.

The one way ratchet is why I demand handguns be sold in vending machines in airports, schools and my office.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    And I was telling you it was the liquor industry as a group that fought it. Meijer and Walmart are already open and staffed, but this was a big cost to liquor stores that do not have big budgets. Again, if the industry could do it in six days why be open seven? Nobody died because the liquor stores were closed on Sunday, or couldn’t buy a car for that matter…
    Yep, and this has flip flopped between which side supports and which side is against depending on variations on how the law has been drafted to change it. It's anti competitive/protectionist and shouldn't be a law.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's anti competitive/protectionist and shouldn't be a law.
    I suspect any major car dealer could file a suit against it and win, the point is, those affected by the law (those with standing to sue) do not want the law overturned. I was merely explaining why, not supporting it…

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I really don't see much of a difference between that and a bow and arrow or a cross bow.
    I think it's cool, would I own one? Maybe? Who knows. Not much of a practical use, but it does have a strong cool factor.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well then, lets work to Unban car sales on Sunday, and the prohibition on Ballistic Knives.

Because.. were running out of things to Unban (which is a good thing)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I really don't see much of a difference between that and a bow and arrow or a cross bow.
    I think it's cool, would I own one? Maybe? Who knows. Not much of a practical use, but it does have a strong cool factor.
    Right? Great point. It's a weird law. I can throw the whole knife but not just the blade portion.

Sunday is the only day I'll car shop (if I'm buying new). The liquor stores were probably right about Sunday Sales. They'll gross the same money but add a day of labor costs. I'm glad we finally got Sunday Sales however.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This year: buy a throwing star.

Next year: buy a ballistic knife.

Following year: buy beer on Sunday for the second time.

Top Bottom