• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Another case of "gun violence" where an inanimate object suddenly comes to like and acts like a human being. Sorta sounds like another fairy tale I know, Frostie the Snowman!! LOL

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I compare this situation to other I've been involved with at work, in my current assignment. We get community groups out here on occasion to play "police" for a day. One of the things they do is force on force with Glock Simunition handguns. They are only slightly modified Glocks that fire primer-only 9mm Simunition rounds. These community members play the part of a police officer and are confronted with a fire/no fire scenario. They are handed a holstered Glock and they are allowed to fire at the role players (me) if that force if they felt they needed to. The community members typically have ZERO firearms experience and 100% have to trust us when we tell them that the gun is loaded with Sim rounds and it is safe to fire at the role players with it. If a live round was fired, it would not be the fault of the community member firing the gun, they had no way of knowing, but rather the person they trusted to ensure it was safe. Some actors are gun people and can safety check their own equipment. Some actors are significantly deficient in that knowledge and rely on others for that. Is that what happened here? I don't know. I do know it is POSSIBLE he is not responsible.

If he is not "responsible" as the actor, then what about as the "producer"?

wsmith1indy

Guitar Guy
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2021
    Carmel

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset

Watched this early this morning. So I did my own little unscientific excursion into the unknown. I got a saa colt out and tested all the possibilities.
    He did an ok job but if you have your finger on the trigger while cocking it most definitely will drop hammer just not on primer until full cock has been reached. Just like slam firing an old Ithaca shotgun.
    I’ve shot this gun thousands of rounds since circus 1974 and not one accidental discharge. A few before I was fully ready “the only problem with squeez’n is what she said” but no AD.
    As Dadsmith mentioned the round is not in battery until Full cock position. This colt only rotates between 1/4 & 1/2 a cartridge diameter at half cock and not complete rotation to battery until full cock. So anyway you look he pulled the hammer completely back with his flicker in full mash on the trigger before AD.

P.S. That would be the last time I would loan out my several thousand dollar pristine Colt to a friend after watching him inflict several idiot marks upon its person. As a matter of fact he wouldn’t have been able to finish his show & tell before I snatched it back.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I compare this situation to other I've been involved with at work, in my current assignment. We get community groups out here on occasion to play "police" for a day. One of the things they do is force on force with Glock Simunition handguns. They are only slightly modified Glocks that fire primer-only 9mm Simunition rounds. These community members play the part of a police officer and are confronted with a fire/no fire scenario. They are handed a holstered Glock and they are allowed to fire at the role players (me) if that force if they felt they needed to. The community members typically have ZERO firearms experience and 100% have to trust us when we tell them that the gun is loaded with Sim rounds and it is safe to fire at the role players with it. If a live round was fired, it would not be the fault of the community member firing the gun, they had no way of knowing, but rather the person they trusted to ensure it was safe. Some actors are gun people and can safety check their own equipment. Some actors are significantly deficient in that knowledge and rely on others for that. Is that what happened here? I don't know. I do know it is POSSIBLE he is not responsible.
    Hmmm, go with me on this. For my comparison I will call both community members you deal with and actors on a movie set "actor".
    If you know that you are assuming responsibility by handing a gun to an "actor" whether on a movie set or in a simulated training scenario, wouldn't it be in your best interest to show the "actor" the gun is unloaded? Likewise, wouldn't it be in your best interest to have the "actor" witness you loading the gun and you being very clear whether that ammunition is live or simunition?
    While the "actor" has to trust what you tell them, shouldn't you be taking the time to at least give them a safety briefing and educate them by showing them how the gun you are putting in their hands works? Sure, that may not be enough to make them really feel comfortable or for that information to stick with them.
    But, it seems to me it would be better than the equivalent of... here this gun has simulated bullets in it not live bullets and it's ok to shoot it at me. Or, here this gun ain't loaded wifth no boolits... Heck, even the guy working the counter of many big box outdoors stores knows to show you the gun is empty before handing it off to a customer. And frankly, I doubt most of those guys have the training/ professionalism you or a movie set armorer should have.

Really not trying to be an ass here. But regardless if it's you, me or anyone else, as the one putting the gun in another's hands you, I, we owe them the respect to how them how to handle it safely.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Hmmm, go with me on this. For my comparison I will call both community members you deal with and actors on a movie set "actor".
    If you know that you are assuming responsibility by handing a gun to an "actor" whether on a movie set or in a simulated training scenario, wouldn't it be in your best interest to show the "actor" the gun is unloaded? Likewise, wouldn't it be in your best interest to have the "actor" witness you loading the gun and you being very clear whether that ammunition is live or simunition?
    While the "actor" has to trust what you tell them, shouldn't you be taking the time to at least give them a safety briefing and educate them by showing them how the gun you are putting in their hands works? Sure, that may not be enough to make them really feel comfortable or for that information to stick with them.
    But, it seems to me it would be better than the equivalent of... here this gun has simulated bullets in it not live bullets and it's ok to shoot it at me. Or, here this gun ain't loaded wifth no boolits... Heck, even the guy working the counter of many big box outdoors stores knows to show you the gun is empty before handing it off to a customer. And frankly, I doubt most of those guys have the training/ professionalism you or a movie set armorer should have.

Really not trying to be an ass here. But regardless if it's you, me or anyone else, as the one putting the gun in another's hands you, I, we owe them the respect to how them how to handle it safely.
    It's my understanding that this is how it's supposed to work on a set. Not some AD handing the actor the firearm and proclaiming "It's Cold"

By all reports they breached safety protocol and that's just plain ass negligence resulting in the death of one person and injury to another.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It's my understanding that this is how it's supposed to work on a set. Not some AD handing the actor the firearm and proclaiming "It's Cold"

By all reports they breached safety protocol and that's just plain ass negligence resulting in the death of one person and injury to another.
    I've heard other actors state their sets' safety protocols are nothing like this one. I imagine it was a series of events that set this tragedy into motion.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Even if the hammer was worn and half cock didn't lock the hammer, by his own account he pulled it as far back as he could without cocking it. Until its cocked I don't think the cartridge would have been timed correctly to line up with the firing pin. It will be interesting if we hear any details on the guns working condition. Even if it was pulled all the way back just before fully cocked and you dropped the hammer and it made it completely forward the primer wouldn't be lined up with the firing pin.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The only real difference I see between Baldwin and a teenager who shoots a friend or sibling while playing with a gun is a matter of degree and that Baldwin should know better

I'm continually amazed at the folks on INGO who will condemn the one and leap to the defense of the other. They both are worthy of condemnation

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm thinking he is gun ignorant. He cocked the SA and could have easily placed his finger near that trigger, if not on it. However, depending on the gun's age/condition, a slight motion could have depressed that trigger. So when he said, "I didn't pull the trigger." He might actually believe/mean that. He might not have felt the trigger at all.

Top Bottom