• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Since the gun was a SA revolver, and possibly an older model, is it possible that he was thumb cocking the gun and released the hammer allowing it to fall on the live round?
    I fail to see how that makes a significant difference.

Thumbing a revolver while aiming at someone...

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Sure plays right into the "guns are inherently dangerous" theme... as opposed to a dangerous person.

Good thing RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERS have rules like not pointing them at things you don't want to destroy... you know... just in case.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Alec Baldwin is the producer. Gun was in his hand with live rounds in it. Gun was pointing in the direction of other production members. Gun went off somehow resulting in one death and another injured. You Alec Baldwin are culpable of negligence. Pay up.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Crime lab will determine if the gun can fire without the trigger being pulled. It's quite possible for a "overly enthustiastically" modified gun to have the hammer slip off the engagement surfaces and fire just from being jarred. That's why you check hammer push off when buying a revolver. You do check hammer push off, don't you?

However, SA guns are about hammer control as much or more so as trigger control and he was still pointing it.
    But, but he also didn't point it at anyone.. It's the same playbook, if you tell a lie often enough it becomes reality, at least to the liar.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Why would the armorer have anything to do with testing the gun for malfunction after this incident? That will be done as part of the investigation, hopefully.

Yes, the armorer should have made sure the gun was in proper working condition before being used on the set. Maybe she did

Seems there may have been a whole host of people who failed to properly do their jobs on that set. Surely there's some deflecting of responsibility going on to cover their own butts. We'll just have to see what shakes out when the investigation is done.
    As you said, she would be in charge of making sure it worked properly before hand. By saying the gun was not functioning properly, he's pushing it back that direction.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Now you did it! did You not read the other thread where someone attested that it’s Hollywood and they have different rules from reality. And the 4 rules do not apply there.
    Well...dang it...my wife says I think too practically too often!
    My bad on not remembering the Liberal Hollywood's way of doing things...in not recognizing that the regular rules and responsibilities (aka, think 'adulthood') do not apply to them! :(

Reactions: wcd

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I haven’t seen it posted, so here’s the entire quote:

“To get the shot, Baldwin said he needed to cock the gun, but not fire it: “The trigger wasn't pulled. I didn't pull the trigger.”

“I cock the gun. I go, ‘Can you see that? Can you see that? Can you see that?’” Baldwin said. “And then I let go of the hammer of the gun, and the gun goes off. I let go of the hammer of the gun, the gun goes off.”

From what I’ve read, it was an antique Colt. I know next to nothing about antique revolvers, but I’m sure some on here can explain whether the claim is plausible.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    One of the articles I’ve read said one person on set gave another person on set a box of live .45 Colt ammo a while back and it was never returned. A separate crew member said he saw what appeared to be live rounds in an ammo box from a manufacturer that only sells ammo parts.

My guess is that someone on set jumped on an opportunity to shoot an antique and failed to clear the weapon when they were finished. From that point, everyone assumed it was clear and didn’t bother to safety check the weapon.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You don't find it the least bit odd that it took him a month and a half to make the claim that he didn't pull the trigger? Wouldn't that be one of the first things he said if that were the case?
    I wasn't aware he gave a public interview before this. But odd? I dono. Maybe it's odd that he said ANYTHING publicly at all. I'm not privy to what he told investigators. That's the only statement worth noting.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Sure. And I wasn't pressing the accelerator when I got my speeding ticket.
    Man holds gun. Gun discharges. Discharge kills woman. Man innocent due to immaculate discharge. This defense is absurd. Even by Alec Baldwin standards.
    Well hell. The investigators job is done, wrap it up boys, solved. Having been involved in enough critical incidents, life is rarely as linear as the above statement. You may think you understand what happened but in reality, you don't know what you don't know.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Well hell. The investigators job is done, wrap it up boys, solved. Having been involved in enough critical incidents, life is rarely as linear as the above statement. You may think you understand what happened but in reality, you don't know what you don't know.

Pro tip: bullet holes are amazing indicators of where a gun was pointing when it fired.

Some have found them to be even more accurate than sights.

Feel free to use this in your professional endeavors.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What if a revolver was loaded with prop ammo that looked like live ammo, since the revolver cylinders are visible to the camera? How does the actor check? They would HEAVILY rely on the professionals who are responsible for handling that gun. Guns get pointed at cameras but they are usually are protected by a plastic shield with a hole in it for the camera. I just saw an article about the filming of Blade III where Jessica Biel aimed her compound bow at a camera. She fired it and the arrow missed the shielding and destroyed the camera. Could something similar have occurred here? I'm not saying Baldwin is innocent. But I'm not saying he's guilty either.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    One of the articles I’ve read said one person on set gave another person on set a box of live .45 Colt ammo a while back and it was never returned. A separate crew member said he saw what appeared to be live rounds in an ammo box from a manufacturer that only sells ammo parts.

My guess is that someone on set jumped on an opportunity to shoot an antique and failed to clear the weapon when they were finished. From that point, everyone assumed it was clear and didn’t bother to safety check the weapon.
    Which would make it a 'preventable-accident'...so who's going to be held responsible for the negligence that led to the death of another human being? Someone has to be held responsible...

Top Bottom