• ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Open discussion for primitive or bushcraft pack contents. This could fit in parallel to the BOB thread in survival subforums, but thought let's keep it more on the planned camping side as opposed to SHTF. Shout out to @RealHonestAbe for helping me spend my $$$!

This is my current contents list of solo primitive camping gear. Some old, some new and in need of testing. This differs greatly from our "family gear" as there is little beyond basic need items for survival type scenarios. A lot of the tested gear ends up in there. I will do best to include links to specific items, others are generic and can be had from numerous vendors. Amazon is usually my storefront.

Comments and questions welcomed. Please share thoughts on gear and the "why's" of certain things. I'm no expert on anything, just spent a lot of time in the woods and have rekindled an old primitive love. Enjoy!

I'm currently looking to upgrade to a larger pack, perhaps in the 55L range. It all fits nicely, but a bit snug. Just a bit of breathing room for winter gear. Suggestions welcome. Currently sans food items, that's a follow-up. Just 2-3 days' worth needed, light eating. Water is carried on the belt. I hate Camelbak's.

Seibertron 40L pack. External items: Morakniv 511, Gerber Suspension NXT. Teton XL 0* sleeping bag, old yoga mat (I've been using for 10 yrs to sleep on and shoot off of)

Pouch A (Fire & Light)
    BIC w/ duck tape, BIC w/ attached tube containing water/windproof matches, bayite ferro rod (.5" x5"), 2x tubes cotton & petro jelly balls, 2x chem lights - 1R 1G

Pouch B
    USGI Poncho, XL Shemagh (I love these things. Use them often), 3x 2-packs Hot Hands

Pouch C
    Polyester T-shirt, warm weather socks, Boonie hat, pair of titanium spoon/forks, 2x napkin packs (excellent firestarter), 2x moist towelettes, half-roll of TP, 2x HD Ziploc bags (QT size, infinite uses), gloves, fleece cap, FAK (trauma based, not booboo - gauze, Israeli bandage, tourniquet, shears, more gauze, etc.)

Pouch D
    Pants roll, Mini Sawyer filter kit, Arcturus survival blanket, Cordage bag (4x tent stakes, fast deploy ridgeline w/ stake loops, Paracord, #36 bankline, extra webbing), sierra saw, Gerber pack axe, Energizer crank light w/ carabiner, tin "survival kit" - fishing line, hooks, razor, etc., [spare buckles, elec. tape, parrafin face paint/signal mirror, lansky pocket sharpener] - inner zipper pocket

Pack.jpg
    Allgear.jpg AandBpouch.jpg Cpouch.jpg Dpouch.jpg FAK.jpg Loaded.jpg

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    The following is my belt, used mostly for water and foraging.

Knife, compass, 2x old GI canteens (1 w/ cup & stove), a rolled dump pouch for gathering, and flashlight. I'm partial to Streamlight Protac's. Took the belt off an old ALICE rig and added an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster for my 6" Blackhawk .357. I can't remember where the knife came from. Been a favorite of mine for years. Especially for caping whitetail. Excellent blade.

Beltgear.jpg

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Looks pretty complete kit. I try to keep about half that much in a light carry pack vs one complete one. Second pack has extras that can stay back at camp or in car unless needed. Glad to not see 4 knives, all kinds of extra no use weight being humped around. Its all your choice, but you can add or delete as needed. Lots of stories of gear dumped to save weight, the 10C's prolly get most use.
    Again, well done.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Thanks. Some is a bit more necessary than other, but this is where I land between survival and "luxury".

Additionally, I haven't weighed it but it seems to be around 20lbs w/o sleep bag which is at 5lbs itself. Need to get a scale and check soon.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I will say this, one thing many people forget is space in your pack. If it is jammed full, this prevents you from adding needed items. Plus when you have to pack up in a hurry, good luck getting that wet tarp, or back in the bag it came in. Get a pack that leaves you some space.

As stated, I'm looking for a larger pack for such reasons. Suggestions?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Do you want mil surplus, ultra light, low pro etc?

Nothing too fancy pants. I'm good with mil-surp, budget (just not cheaply made crap). I'm not investing tons of $ in ultra-light gear. I'm too practical for that, mostly a "use what's laying around" kinda guy. The linked Teton 65L above is my current choice unless someone brings a long a better option.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Noted, I will further assess. Thanks. A quick search provided one at $110+
    I paid $144 to my door on Amazon. I tried the 60 and it was absolutely busting at the seams full with my gear. I put the same gear in the 85 and its straps cinch down to their stops at 60L apparently.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I imagine that you've thought this through, RR ...... but, have you considered a lightweight
    1-man tent, instead of the tarp ?
    It would seem to me that a really lightweight tent wouldn't add much weight, over and above the shelter supplies that you've assembled.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I imagine that you've thought this through, RR ...... but, have you considered a lightweight
    1-man tent, instead of the tarp ?
    It would seem to me that a really lightweight tent wouldn't add much weight, over and above the shelter supplies that you've assembled.

I typically use the GI poncho for my tent, the tarp (one side with heat reflective material) is my warmer weather "blanket". Just got this new Arcturus to try out. Back in my yute it was an old poncho and a wool blanket.

I have been doing a plow configuration with them since forever. I have tried the hammock style sleeping, and just can't get behind it.

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I typically use the GI poncho for my tent, the tarp (one side with heat reflective material) is my warmer weather "blanket". Just got this new Arcturus to try out. Back in my yute it was an old poncho and a woobie, using a trash bag for my moisture barrier.

I have been doing a plow configuration with them since forever. I have tried the hammock style sleeping, and just can't get behind it.

I got'cha ! :thumbsup: You gotta stick with what's worked for you.
    Used to do a lot of solo backpacking through the Arapaho National Forest (Colorado),
    and the U.P. of Michigan. Maybe I was a softie, but I always used a tent ! ;)

Taken about 50 years ago.

i-RrF4pbG-L.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I always kept a tent in my CJ. I've had these 2 pup tents for almost 25yrs. The turkeys roost in them these days. Pop them up next to our cabin tent on family outings for play.
    My yoga mat is my do all - shooting mat, sleep pad, etc. Moisture barrier, ground insulation, and comfort.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    For ultralite, I just use a 40L Modase pack off amazon. It is $20 or so. Good only for up to 20lbs, but my UL baseweight makes it work fine. Lightweight I use Osprey very well made. I also use Large Alice pack, heavy but bullet proof. And does not ride high up so it is easier to scramble around in brush with it, the top of the pack does not get caught on branches. If you go cheap, you will end up replacing gear in a few yrs of use. Misurp heavy. Good pack brands last, and are well made, but pricier.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    IMO, I would swap the hatchet for a boys ax carried outside the pack, upgrade to single wall stainless steel bottles to boil water, and drill a small hole in the top of the survival tin so you can make char cloth. I would add a contractor trash bag, wire snares and, #36 tared bank line. There are a few other things I would remove and also add but as long as you are happy with your pack that is all that matters. As mentioned above the 10 c's is a pretty good starting point when building a pack.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    IMO, I would swap the hatchet for a boys ax carried outside the pack, upgrade to single wall stainless steel bottles to boil water, and drill a small hole in the top of the survival tin so you can make char cloth. I would add a contractor trash bag, wire snares and, #36 tared bank line. There are a few other things I would remove and also add but as long as you are happy with your pack that is all that matters. As mentioned above the 10 c's is a pretty good starting point when building a pack.

#36 line already included in cordage bag. Canteen upgrade in the future, I like the Pathfinder stuff. Contractor bags are a good idea.

What would you remove or add? Appreciate all feedback.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    #36 line already included in cordage bag. Canteen upgrade in the future, I like the Pathfinder stuff. Contractor bags are a good idea.

What would you remove or add? Appreciate all feedback.
    Remove- hand warmers, buckles, MORA, Chem lights, Crank light and, utility belt.

Add- Coleman Soap strips, ESSE 3 or 4 Fixed Blade, sewing kit/sail needle, band aids, mole skin, haversack, 4X6 tarp and a spice kit.

Pathfinder stuff isn't bad but I would compare prices with Kleen Kanteen before I made any bottle purchases.

Top Bottom