• ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    @ditcherman all weights taken packed in wax canvas bags as shown.

Haversack with pan set, shemagh, and grill is a Snickers bar under 3 lbs.
    Pantry bag with PF cook set, Stanley pot (which conveniently houses my Sawyer filter), and goods comes in at 2.5#. Add a few ounces for a Morakniv. I like them better for cooking not crafting. It's around here somewhere.

IMG_20230611_211618512.jpg
    IMG_20230611_212634183.jpg

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    @ditcherman all weights taken packed in wax canvas bags as shown.

Haversack with pan set, shemagh, and grill is a Snickers bar under 3 lbs.
    Pantry bag with PF cook set, Stanley pot (which conveniently houses my Sawyer filter), and goods comes in at 2.5#. Add a few ounces for a Morakniv. I like them better for cooking not crafting. It's around here somewhere.

View attachment 281114
    View attachment 281115
    Lighter than I expected!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Agreed. I was surprised myself. The foodstuffs I chose are generally weightier than the branded meals, but revolve around being able to prep sans water. This tradeoff helps keep weight down, as water is easily one of the heavier items packed.
    I’m all good with the backpacking freeze dried food, whether store bought (no mountain house eggs please!) or my homemade dehydrated chili.
    Food gets boiled water poured into the bag with a bag coozie, one dirty spoon licked clean and one ziplock to carry out.

My downfall on weight is two fold, I pretty much insist on a tent, and have choices but none super light at 4-5 pounds. And then water, I have to have quite a bit of water to be able to eat (swallow) so I’m heading out into a dry area with 5 liters for a day and will intend to have about that every day.

Don’t think I’ve ever been much under 40 pounds for any multi day trips even with a buddy splitting the tent and fly.

And now I have this stargazer chair I want to carry in…

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I’m all good with the backpacking freeze dried food, whether store bought (no mountain house eggs please!) or my homemade dehydrated chili.
    Food gets boiled water poured into the bag with a bag coozie, one dirty spoon licked clean and one ziplock to carry out.

My downfall on weight is two fold, I pretty much insist on a tent, and have choices but none super light at 4-5 pounds. And then water, I have to have quite a bit of water to be able to eat (swallow) so I’m heading out into a dry area with 5 liters for a day and will intend to have about that every day.

Don’t think I’ve ever been much under 40 pounds for any multi day trips even with a buddy splitting the tent and fly.

And now I have this stargazer chair I want to carry in…

My GI bivy tent is around 6.5 lbs packed out (GoreTex is heavy, but tough). I prefer a tent setup. Always have, must be the caveman in me. A 9' x 9' D&D tarp is a smidge over a pound. Load out depends on the trek/season.

I'm also looking into a new chair. The pack frame trials with my folder left some comforts to be desired. I'm currently shopping around for something lighter.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Cold weather gear test! A weekend in Deam Wilderness (Terrill Ridge) in a couple weeks will test kit for an upcoming KT thru-hike. Load out includes 48oz of water, and 1 days rations. All in at 42lbs.

View attachment 324097

View attachment 324098

View attachment 324099
    That’s awesome, I’ve always wanted to get a winter hike in but have never made it happen.

I’ve never packed a saw and/or an axe (or a gun actually, just between us) and that would definitely put me over 40 pounds.

I did skip the tent and brought only a hammock for a quick easy overnight on the Peninsula trail since our last conversation in here. I was probably 20 pounds and that was a treat, made for a nice walk.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    That’s awesome, I’ve always wanted to get a winter hike in but have never made it happen.

I’ve never packed a saw and/or an axe (or a gun actually, just between us) and that would definitely put me over 40 pounds.

I did skip the tent and brought only a hammock for a quick easy overnight on the Peninsula trail since our last conversation in here. I was probably 20 pounds and that was a treat, made for a nice walk.

I never could do the hammocks. Just can't sleep in them.

I'm not an ultralight gear kinda guy. The GI poncho is possibly up for the chopping block. Depends on how I like my new jacket. (I do love my poncho though, has come in handy dandy more than once)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    @Ruger_Ronin

Deam is my favorite Indiana getaway. I love quick trips out in the peninsula trail. Good looking
    Unfortunately the forest service has proposed essentially ended camping out on the peninsula:

As there really isn’t anywhere you can be 1/2 mile from the lake.

I’m also not really sure of the jurisdictional aspect of this since I believe the pool area of the lake is ACoE, but there may be aspects of that I’m not aware of.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Unfortunately the forest service has proposed essentially ended camping out on the peninsula:

As there really isn’t anywhere you can be 1/2 mile from the lake.

I’m also not really sure of the jurisdictional aspect of this since I believe the pool area of the lake is ACoE, but there may be aspects of that I’m not aware of.

Thanks for the info. Leave it to the knuckleheads to ruin it for the rest of us

Top Bottom