• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    I had a friend who was black. we fished and hunted together all the time. He would go to the river and catch carp and ate them. I told him not only i wouldnt eat a carp but anything out of that river would be off limits to my piehole. But i now a place where carp come up this very clean creek this time of the year. They are smaller. Maybe 5 to 6 pounds. One day i ran down with a net and netted 2. I took them to him. He acted like it was christmas. That night he brought over a tin foil wrapped side of carp his wife had fried. It was still warm. When i opened it it looked like a walleye fillet. Golden brown.The meat was snow white and it was layered. In between each little section of meat was a Y bone. As fine as hair. But i went thru it and pulled each one out. It was very firm.The texture was that of a walleye. The taste was almost exactly the same too. I couldnt believe it. The thing that would stop me from making it a regular thing are those Y bones. He would throw a piece in his mouth and chew and the bones came out one side dropping to his plate. He was like a thrashing machine. But he did tell me the taste was exceptional compared to the St. Joe river fish. I always wanted to smoke one just to try it.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    The common carp are bottom feeders and while I don't know anyone that has done a purge in a barrel like you stated I have heard of the barrel purge before especially with turtles.
    My grandpa said he used to do the freshwater purge with carp as a kid during the depression, claimed it helped a lot.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    If you watch,most of the boats are shocking the carp to get them to jump.There are videos of guys using shotguns to shoot em in flyte.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Looks like Illinois is challenging chefs to come up with restaurant friendly dishes as well as change the name to disassociate the Asian carp from the common carp and maybe control the intrusion into the Great Lakes. As mentioned the Asian variety is not a bottom feeder. The renaming of fish has worked in the past with species like the Patagonian toothfish (Chilean Sea Bass) and apparently the deep sea slimehead (Orange Roughy). I’d try it

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Put in the wabash river south of terre haute. Need to keep boat speed under 15-20 and don’t plane it up. Seem to have better success getting them to jump that way. Put your helmet on and grab a net.

meateater did an episode and said they eat fine. Next time I get one I’ll report back

Top Bottom