• BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Felony charge for teen who tossed Mexican "missile" at car as prank

1014092inside1.jpg

OCTOBER 14--A South Carolina teenager is facing a felony charge for throwing a "deadly missile" at a moving vehicle. The armament in question was a burrito. According to the below Hernando County Sheriff's Office report, the 15-year-old suspect, a passenger in a Dodge, allegedly threw the burrito Saturday afternoon at John Addie's Honda as the cars traveled alongside each other on a Florida street. Cops discovered burrito remnants inside and outside the vehicle, as well as on Addie, who was not injured when struck by the flying foodstuff (somehow, Addie's Honda suffered a chipped windshield during the incident). After tracing the Dodge's license plate, cops confronted the teenager, who admitted throwing the burrito as a "prank." He claimed that no other object was thrown at the Honda, though cops concluded that there was evidence that "a hard object caused damage" to Addie's car. The admitted burrito tosser, pictured in the above mug shot, was booked into jail and later released into his father's custody.

Our system is broken. A Felony? Are you frikin kidding me?
    So for those of you, who think Felons should never own guns do you think this crime qualifies?

Sorry but this story reminds me of this:
    anchorman.jpg

That's how I roll! :D

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    For a burrito to chip or otherwise cause damage to a windshield, I would say it was frozen. Anyone stupid enough to throw a frozen burrito at a moving car is not mature enough or smart enough to be allowed to own a gun. The what if game: if that burrito had stuck her person and caused her to be unconsious and she wrecked her car into another car or crowd of people and someone got seriously injured or killed, maybe rven one of your loved ones, then you would probably want them punished accordingly.

I know my opinion will not be popular with some, or most, but it is what it is. Bring on the Negative rep.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    For a burrito to chip or otherwise cause damage to a windshield, I would say it was frozen. Anyone stupid enough to throw a frozen burrito at a moving car is not mature enough or smart enough to be allowed to own a gun. The what if game: if that burrito had stuck her person and caused her to be unconsious and she wrecked her car into another car or crowd of people and someone got seriously injured or killed, maybe rven one of your loved ones, then you would probably want them punished accordingly.

I know my opinion will not be popular with some, or most, but it is what it is. Bring on the Negative rep.

No way it could have been frozen
    Cops discovered burrito remnants inside and outside the vehicle, as well as on Addie, who was not injured when struck by the flying foodstuff (somehow, Addie's Honda suffered a chipped windshield during the incident).
    So if it hit from the side how did it chip his window? I'm guessing he already had the chip and used this as an opportunity to get it fixed.

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    No way it could have been frozen

So if it hit from the side how did it chip his window? I'm guessing he already had the chip and used this as an opportunity to get it fixed.

When frozen things are broken down to smaller parts they do not take long to thaw out. It probably took a little while to get officers there leaving time for things to thaw out. Because the article does not say the window ws broken, I assume it was warm enough for her to have her windows down. You try driving down the road and getting smacked in the head with a burrito when you were not expecting it, frozen or not, and see how well you drive. It could have caused a major incident, at least in someones life. I am merely offering you the answer you asked for, I don't expect you to agree with me.

:patriot:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    It could have caused a major incident, at least in someones life. I am merely offering you the answer you asked for, I don't expect you to agree with me.

True "It could have".
    How do you get charged for "what could have happened"?
    You do something wrong and it causes injury you must pay for the crime.
    You do something wrong and a prosecutor can think of all of the things that could have been a result of your actions, should you be made to pay for those injuries that didn't occur?

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    True "It could have".
    How do you get charged for "what could have happened"?
    You do something wrong and it causes injury you must pay for the crime.
    You do something wrong and a prosecutor can think of all of the things that could have been a result of your actions, should you be made to pay for those injuries that didn't occur?

No......you get charged for having the mindset of a monkey that flings poo at people that stand and stare too long at the zoo. This kid had no concerns that his actions could have caused someone serious injury or death.........that is not the mindset I want someone to have while carrying a gun. Not trying to start a fight, but by using your logic.......if I throw a grenade near a crowd and somehow nobody gets hit, then I shouldn't be charged either. Or I spray rounds off into a house but nobody is home so nobody gets hit. I wasn't trying to hurt anyone.......it was just a prank.

Your opinion may be different than mine, and that is fine. You asked a question and I answered honestly. If our opinions don't agree, then we will have to agree to disagree.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I think that it falls under "a gross disregard for human life"

In the end he had no concept of the ramifications of his actions. The same laws apply to people who throw a can of coke out their window. Or snowplow drivers who push their load off a high way overpass.

He could have also been Popped with reckless endangerment if he was in Indiana.

Think about it this way.

If you fire a gun off in the air on new years and it comes down on somebody's house, lucky nobody is injured. should it be a felony?

You are on the top floor of a building and a man having a heart attack gets on and pushes for the first floor hoping to reach aid and you decide to push the buttons for every floor and get off the elevator. The Man luckily survives. Should that be a Felony?

You drive your car down the walkway of a busy open air mall at 30 miles per hour, lucky nobody is hit. Should it be a felony?

You walk into a bookstore gun in hand and start banging off rounds in no direction in particular. Luckily Nobody gets hit. Should it be a felony?

But to directly answer your question. Any situation where you recklessly and intentionally preform an action that endangers the people around you because you have no concept of the danger you are causing or just due to your disregard for the well being or safety of others it should be a felony. No matter how silly people may think it seems at the time or how trivial the aftermath may seem to be, a intentional and purposeful action of an individual that causes a situation of possible death, injury, havoc, or destruction (even if that wasn't the individuals aim) is a Severe offense against the societal whole. That's why he got busted for a felony.

At least in my humble Opinion...

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I think that it falls under "a gross disregard for human life"

In the end he had no concept of the ramifications of his actions. The same laws apply to people who throw a can of coke out their window. Or snowplow drivers who push their load off a high way overpass.

He could have also been Popped with reckless endangerment if he was in Indiana.

Think about it this way.

If you fire a gun off in the air on new years and it comes down on somebody's house, lucky nobody is injured. should it be a felony?

You are on the top floor of a building and a man having a heart attack gets on and pushes for the first floor hoping to reach aid and you decide to push the buttons for every floor and get off the elevator. The Man luckily survives. Should that be a Felony?

You drive your car down the walkway of a busy open air mall at 30 miles per hour, lucky nobody is hit. Should it be a felony?

You walk into a bookstore gun in hand and start banging off rounds in no direction in particular. Luckily Nobody gets hit. Should it be a felony?

But to directly answer your question. Any situation where you recklessly and intentionally preform an action that endangers the people around you because you have no concept of the danger you are causing or just due to your disregard for the well being or safety of others it should be a felony. No matter how silly people may think it seems at the time or how trivial the aftermath may seem to be, a intentional and purposeful action of an individual that causes a situation of possible death, injury, havoc, or destruction (even if that wasn't the individuals aim) is a Severe offense against the societal whole. That's why he got busted for a felony.

At least in my humble Opinion...

:+1: Screw the little idiot.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    From another source.

Teen turns burrito into deadly weapon, cops say

Reported by: Don Germaise
    Email: dgermaise@abcactionnews.com
    Last Update: 10/12 2:32 pm

(Pointnshoot, Creative Commons 2.0)

http://www.abcactionnews.com/conten...-over-undercooked/zg_iaAgqQEGzd4D2H7M-8A.cspx
    HERNANDO BEACH, FL -- Hernando County Sheriff's deputies have arrested a South Carolina teen on a charge of throwing a deadly missile at a moving vehicle. That missile was a burrito, deputies said.

According to a police report, John Addie was driving his Honda when he noticed someone lean out of an approaching white Dodge and throw something. The next thing Addie knew his front windshield was cracked and he was covered in refried beans.

Addie followed the Dodge and called deputies. Deputy Scott Lamia wrote in his report the victim's "vehicle, which was clean and in excellent condition, had a chip in the windshield where the hard object struck it. I observed the contents of a burrito to be on John’s person and his driver’s seat.

A portion of the burrito was on the window frame, on the exterior of his vehicle. I also observed the remainder of the burrito to be at the base of the driver’s seat. It should be noted that John suffered no injury as a result of being struck by the burrito."

The report goes on to say that the teen suspect confessed, "he admitted that as a prank he did in fact throw a burrito at John’s vehicle and denied throwing any other object at the vehicle. Austin also had no explanation as to why John’s windshield would be damaged."

The 15-year-old was arrested on the felony charge of throwing a deadly missile Saturday afternoon and released to the custody of his father. The Graces were visiting Florida from South Carolina.

If he threw a deadly burrito and it caused this damage, I need a physics major to explain how the windshield gets cracked and the majority of the burrito ends up on the INSIDE of the attacked vehicle. Where is NCIS when you need them? :)
    The first story did not mention the vehicles were approaching each other nor does this one say if it was from the front or back.

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I, unfortunately have been to the scene of multiple people that were hit by cars and killed. They were all clothed when hit, but at least 90% of them were naked when found.......explain this and you might have the answer you are looking for.

Rgaurdless......Meach put it best, he was charged for the blantent disreguard of the damage and injury his actions COULD HAVE caused. Anyone with this blatent disreguard for their fellow humans should be charged with the Felony........burrito, egg, bullet, grenade, car, or poo flinging like a monkey.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    The first story did not mention the vehicles were approaching each other...
    This only makes it worse. The object he threw now increases it's velocity due to the speed of the approaching vehicles.

Regardless if the burrito chipped the windshield or not...serious bodily injury could have resulted from any object striking you in the face at 40, 50, 60+ mph.

To me this is no different than throwing bricks off an overpass. :twocents:

Here's what happens when stupid people hang out of cars...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfRcm1YM7PM[/ame]

Last edited:

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    If he threw a deadly burrito and it caused this damage, I need a physics major to explain how the windshield gets cracked and the majority of the burrito ends up on the INSIDE of the attacked vehicle. Where is NCIS when you need them? :)
    The first story did not mention the vehicles were approaching each other nor does this one say if it was from the front or back.

Ok Not a physics major but I did take physics in high school. :rolleyes:

within the context of the story its safe to assume the cars were approaching each other.

Now a common small town speed for a two lane road is 30 MPH. So we are gonna work with that. so to spread all over the front of the car and into the drivers compartment it must have been a an average sized burrito. Lets go with a cheap Taco-bell 1/2 a pound beef and potato or 8 ounces.

So its a 8 ounce soft projectile

Now to get the Acceleration of the projectile you have to combine the speed of the two cars (60 MPH) with the speed of the throw. Even a skinny little kid can throw a baseball 20 MPH but lets say he did a soft overhand toss. So 10 MPH to be fair. (for a total of 70 MPH)

Taking into account for a little drag Lets call it 55 MPH (man I am being SOOOOOOO conservative here.)

Well using good ole Newtons 2nd law we get Force=Mass x Acceleration

So 8 ounces x 55 mph. OR .5 LBS x 80.66 FPS = 40.33 Ft/LBS

So lets say 40 lbs of force. (again that assumes that they we both slowly idling down a slow city street and the 15 y/o throws like your average 4 y/o does)

I'm not gonna go into force as applied to surface area equations or correct application of force vs. Gravity experiments I'm just gonna dare you do go outside and drop 40 pound beanbag the size of you fist on your windshield. Because I'm not gonna try it myself...it will crack...

and as far as the burrito getting into the car. Next time you have water balloons have somebody throw one at your windshield while the drivers window is down. Trust me, your seat won't be dry.

Now imagine that that water balloon was filled with refried beans and it just hit you while you were driving with a sound similar to a cannon going off. How would you feel after that? could you keep control of the Car?...hopefully...
    I'll be honest I would be scared out of my mind. I'd also hope to God that there wasn't any traffic or pedestrians around because I would be all over that road.

That is why this kid is in so much trouble...

To quote Lenard Nemoy on a recent episode of Fringe on fox "Physics is a B***h"

Last edited:

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Looks like I have to take the unpopular side here I have to agree with the cops!

If the little dip**** who from the picture isn't too young can not respect other peoples property and life I don't want him to ever own a gun.

I could see some poor person dead with this clown standing over them" I was just foolin".

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Soft items can definitely break windshields.

And I think this deserves a harsh misdemeanor.

Meach, I'm not saying your conclusion is wrong, but acceleration needs to be in m/(s^2) or ft/(s^2). You've got a velocity in your F=M*A equation. Watch those units.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Harsh misdemeanor??? :lmfao: :lol2: What is that?? Between an MA and an FD???

Sir...you've been charged with a harsh misdemeanor...how do you plead?? :):

If it could break a windshield it could have split a skull open.

Throw the little SOB in prison. He could have killed someone. Maybe he'll remember that the next time he orders a burrito.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Harsh misdemeanor??? :lmfao: :lol2: What is that?? Between an MA and an FD???

I am saying a felony is overkill in this case. After how many years in prison will the kid learn his lesson for throwing fast food? :rolleyes:

I think a Class B Misdemeanor at most for the kid. Punishable up to 180 days maximum in jail and a fine. Harsher than a Class C Misdemeanor. Not a slap on the wrist by any stretch of the imagination.

We've all got our own idea of justice. That is mine. I'd rather get tough with real criminals instead of wasting time and money on foolish kids.

The way it stands, the guy could be in his 40's and still being punished for tossing a burrito when he was 15 years old. Unable to own the tools to defend his family. Pretty strange, in my crazy opinion.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I am saying a felony is overkill in this case. After how many years in prison will the kid learn his lesson for throwing fast food? :rolleyes:

I think a Class B Misdemeanor at most for the kid. Punishable up to 180 days maximum in jail and a fine. Harsher than a Class C Misdemeanor. Not a slap on the wrist by any stretch of the imagination.

We've all got our own idea of justice. That is mine. I'd rather get tough with real criminals instead of wasting time and money on foolish kids.

The way it stands, the guy could be in his 40's and still being punished for tossing a burrito when he was 15 years old. Unable to own the tools to defend his family. Pretty strange, in my crazy opinion.
    They charge him with a felony but the final result will most likely be a misdemeanor. I think I missed it, what what the age of the suspect? If charged as a juvenile a "felony" is not a disqualifying charge. Because there is no such thing as a felony...it is the equivalent and not disclosed in background checks.

Top Bottom