• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    First stage you report to they collect 8 rounds. Then as part of the scheduled rotation you go to chrono just like any other stage. That is when the actually test them in your gun.

It is usually a painless process. Unless like me it is first time making major with a new gun, new load, recent powder scale issues... I know I know everyone has excuses... Like I said I learned from it and will make corrections to be more comfortable next time i face chrono.

And you can bet I will make damn sure my wife's ammo will make PF at state.
    NOW THAT CAN GET UGLY!!!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    How much "room" do you guys normally leave? +0.1gr than you would normally load?

No, I use a chrono. I find a load that gets me 4-6% above the minimum power factor. I ensure worst case min velocity, and min bullet weight will all still result in a couple % over min pf. The margin is to allow for differences in chronos, temp, scales, etc.

You'll never know for sure what to expect at the chrono going by books and guessing at +/- 0.1gr.

for example, I did my 9mm production load development about 5 years ago and haven't changed a thing since, whether for practice, local matches, or nationals. I know my load will make ~132-134 pf every time.

When you compare the reasonable cost of a chrono against entry fees for a couple major matches, it becomes a no brainer...

-rvb

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    1.Well when you are thinking "take your time, get your hits, focus....." and your first shot on the first stage is a mike in the hard cover and you don't make it up, tells you how your day is going.

2.When the RO is scoring your targets and yells out, "Bravo, Delta, Bravo Delta....look at that, those 2 target are identical, bet he couldn't do that again", and then someone yells back "oh yes he can, does it all the time"...you know you are amongst friends

3.When they try to have Coach sign your score sheets, you know that you need to start shooting on another squad, or stop dressing alike

4.Taking the blame for someone else's poor shooting on a target (how do you get 3 mikes on one target?) by not saying you pasted it early for them, even though you are the on deck shooter makes for a long ride home

5.Having a Canadian Leprechaun on your sqaud is fun, having him named Hugh Black (pronounced Huge) is even funnier, calling him Jackie Stewart all day still makes me laugh (Hooo, its a wee bite sandy don'ta think, me lad, ehh?)

6.Hard Cover and No shoots suck....look for more of these in a match real soon

7.Making the claim that case gauging is stupid and that you don't do it......will flat f**k up your day!!!

8.Some hi jinks are not always well thought out (sorry Bill)

9.Wet sandy bays suck (I found a pearl in my shorts when I got home)

10.Having a 600 pound person that is 6'6" tell you, specifically you, that the door on that stage are not made for guys like us. When you respond with "why are you telling me?" you don't expect to hear "Because we are exactly alike"
    WTF? It does nothing for your self confidence

11. 2 and a shoe to take out a light

12.Garmin will get you to and from the range, a different way everytime, then be *****y about on the way

13.The only thing in Illlinois that makes sense is you can buy booze on Sundays

14.Hearing a comment from a Grand Master (recently appearing as an expert on a current reality show) say "Accuracy by volume is how I got that" makes you smile a little

15.Coach has to **** after 6 beers

16. 30 second jams suck (see #7 for reason)

17. Getting to the range 8 hours before you shoot, doen't help with shooting stages, just makes for a long day

18. Review the bill before signing it, did anyone else know that cot cost $15 a night?

19. Witty video comments on the "make ready" waste the battery

20. I know where you can buy a goat, but getting the smell out of Craig's truck will take time

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Canadian Leprechaun ... Hugh Black (pronounced Huge) ... wee bite sandy

All future stage names?

6.Hard Cover and No shoots suck....look for more of these in a match real soon

Bring it. I'm not afraid. All my misses were on wide open targets. :n00b:

7.Making the claim that case gauging is stupid and that you don't do it......will flat f**k up your day!!!

My problem wasn't case guaging, it was cleaning the gun. It's bad when a couple nights before the match my wife says "what are you doing, you know your gun jams at big matches every time you clean it?" What's worse is hearing "I told you so." from the wife even about gun stuff...

10.Having a 600 pound person that is 6'6" tell you, specifically you, that the door on that stage are not made for guys like us. When you respond with "why are you telling me?" you don't expect to hear "Because we are exactly alike"

My favorite so far was "How is a guy your size able to move so fast?"
    Uhh... thanks??

12.Garmin will get you to and from the range, a different way everytime, then be *****y about on the way

I finally muted mine... it didn't like my route choice around Chicago. "Recalculating..." gets old.

47 seconds on my first stage sucks....

I know where you can buy a goat

uh, another stage name??

-rvb

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    No, I use a chrono. I find a load that gets me 4-6% above the minimum power factor. I ensure worst case min velocity, and min bullet weight will all still result in a couple % over min pf. The margin is to allow for differences in chronos, temp, scales, etc.

You'll never know for sure what to expect at the chrono going by books and guessing at +/- 0.1gr.

for example, I did my 9mm production load development about 5 years ago and haven't changed a thing since, whether for practice, local matches, or nationals. I know my load will make ~132-134 pf every time.

When you compare the reasonable cost of a chrono against entry fees for a couple major matches, it becomes a no brainer...

-rvb

Won't be guessing, I have a cheap shooting chrony and was just wondering how close you play it. Info above helps.

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    It was a good match. I shot in a squad full of dedicated, courteous shooters that...uh...I...well...let's just say I'd shoot with any of them again. It was nice having Huge Black on our squad, since that meant there were two of us shooting obsolete guns that only shoot 6 bullets.

Honestly, I've been happier with my match performances. At the end of day 1, I was 3rd place revo going in to the 2nd day of shooting, and on the second day all I needed to do was not have a bunch of slow stages with low-as-a-snake's-belly HF to stay in the top 5.

I had a bunch of stages with really low hit factors and lost a bunch of match points, finishing 8th revolver overall. Kind of disappointed about that, actually. I have no one to blame but myself - my execution of my stage plans was usually pretty good, but the problem is that my stage plans were not that great. I get that there's a learning curve from IDPA to USPSA, but I didn't realize how much more cerebral USPSA was. Makes me long for the simplicity of Steel Challenge.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Won't be guessing, I have a cheap shooting chrony and was just wondering how close you play it. Info above helps.

I'm pretty happy with my load. It makes 170-176, depending on something, I guess. It makes 172 (40 round average) on my Chrony and 170-176 at the majors I have shot so far. I use lead in practice and my famous green Bayou Bullets in matches. That's the only thing I ever change.

Jake, apology accepted.

I'm still a littled peeved but I'll get over it.

19. Witty video comments on the "make ready" waste the battery

Yeah, but they were a lot more entertaining than watching US shoot.

True, but karma is a *****, you had it coming.

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I know where you can buy a goat, but getting the smell out of Craig's truck will take time

I wondered what that smell was.

Also, stay away from the westside, I may, or may not, have started some trouble while driving your nazi car. I also replaced them ammo in your hideout gun, thanks!

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Originally Posted by jakemartens

My favorite so far was "How is a guy your size able to move so fast?"
    Uhh... thanks??

Remember the immortal line from Dan Blocker to Frank Sinatra in Lady in Cement, when Frank (after being thrown across the room and outdrawn, looking down Dan's .45) says, "you move pretty fast for a big man."

To which Dan replies, "Yeah, surprising ain't it? Surprised some people right to death."

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I think I found the source of my gun problems...
    I was able to replicate the jams w/ two of my mags. The rounds would nosedive and just catch on the feedramp. Just as in the match I could get them to feed by smacking the gun (the 'tap' in 'tap/rack') or w/ a light bump on the back of the slide. New mag springs are on their way, hopefully that cures all.

The mags only have like eleventy billion rounds through them since I last changed springs a few years ago...

I just hope I have time to test things out before the IN Section.

-rvb

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    There is a God, and I am over my jam. Updated classification
    OPENClass: UPct: 0.00High Pct: 0.00LIMITEDClass: APct: 84.25High Pct: 84.25LIMITED10Class: BPct: 64.56High Pct: 64.56PRODUCTIONClass: BPct: 68.11High Pct: 68.11REVOLVERClass: UPct: 0.00High Pct: 0.00SINGLESTACKClass: BPct: 66.45High Pct: 69.48

If I would have nailed that classifier instead of having a jam then there would have been a Master Card in the mail next month.
    See even Jesus sandbags!!

That will put me in the top 20 with all the other sandbaggers not moving to master!!
    Anyone have a Glock 34 for sale, I might need to shoot production for awhile......
    or Limited 10!!

Top Bottom