• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    House Rules - WTHR | Indianapolis

Indianapolis - An Eyewitness News investigation has found widespread double voting in the Indiana House of Representatives. House leaders say the practice will stop after 13 Investigates observed state representatives repeatedly casting votes for other representatives - a practice that is prohibited by state rules.

"It should not happen," said House Speaker B. Patrick Bauer (D-South Bend). "They're not supposed to do it. That's the bottom line."

During the current legislative session, 13 Investigates videotaped voting from balconies on both sides of the House chamber. The video shows dozens of instances in which representatives pressed the electronic voting buttons of fellow House members who were not in their seats. In many cases, the lawmakers were not on the floor of the House of Representatives when someone else cast their votes, and it was unclear whether they were present anywhere in the House chamber.

After watching WTHR's videotape, House Minority Leader Brian Bosma (R-Indianapolis) admitted "it is a problem."

"It is something that needs to be emphasized, there's no doubt about that," Bosma said. "There are a few folks who appear not to be able to stay in their seats in a continuing basis. They were elected to be here to cast votes."

A chronic problem

While WTHR saw members of both political parties cast multiple votes, chronic double voting occurred most often by Democrats.

Over a two-day period, 13 Investigates observed Rep. Clyde Kersey (D-Terre Haute) cast ten votes for fellow-Democrats Rep. Terry Goodin (D-Austin) and Rep. Vern Tincher (D-Terre Haute), who were not on the House floor at the time of the votes. WTHR saw Goodin and Tincher double vote, as well.

None of those lawmakers wanted to discuss the issue on-camera, but Kersey told WTHR, "I know how they want to vote and I have their permission."

The seven-term state representative said casting votes for other lawmakers is nothing new.

"It's been like this ever since I've been in the House," said Kersey, who has been an Indiana state representative since 1996.

Asked if he would continue to vote for others, Kersey replied "Not now. You've got your cameras all over the place. But you have to realize, it's something that has not been enforced."

The enforcers

According to section 50.1 of the Rules of the House of Representatives, "No member shall vote for another member." The rules also state "any member who votes or attempts to vote for another member may be punished in such manner as the House may determine."

Bosma said when he was House Speaker from 2004-2006, he did enforce the double voting rule.

"We simply didn't allow any member to touch the voting machine of another member," he said.

Former House Speaker John Gregg said he, too, was strict about the rules.

"I couldn't stand seeing them vote for each other," Gregg said. "I enforced the rule because it's all about perception, and it sends the wrong the message when members aren't voting for themselves. People watching the system think ‘Why is someone else voting for them? That doesn't seem right.' So when I saw it, I'd call them on it."

The current Speaker says, despite standing on a podium facing all members of the House of Representatives, he did not notice the double voting observed by WTHR.

"I don't see it all the time because I'm focused on who wants to speak next and actually what the amendment is and whether members are following other rules like saying bad things about somebody in the [microphone] that they're not supposed to."

"Has got to stop"

One of the state's most prominent political watchdogs believes it is now time for House leaders to re-focus attention on double voting.

"Leadership should step up and say ‘this practice has got to stop,'" said Julia Vaughn, policy director for Common Cause Indiana. "If they're ignoring a really simple rule like don't vote for somebody else, it raises serious questions about the more complicated rules. What else are they ignoring?"

Vaughn said the 13 Investigates video is disturbing not only because it shows representatives missing the opportunity to cast their own votes, but also because it shows many lawmakers are absent from the House chamber during discussion and debate leading up to those votes.

"The public wants reassurance that our legislators are fully engaged in debate about important public issues. If you're not in the room, then you're probably not fully engaged in the debate," Vaughn said. "It calls into question how much information our legislators are getting before they vote."

Why it happens

Both Democrats and Republicans insist lawmakers leaving their seats is a necessity.

"They get up and go to the bathroom, they ask someone to vote for them. They're out in the hallway, they tell someone to vote for them," explained Bauer. "Sitting sometimes too long can give you blood clots in your legs, so you can't tell them not to stretch their legs or go to the bathroom."

And when the legislative session reaches its final weeks, it often means very long days for lawmakers.

"There was a day this week where we went for nine hours straight, no bathroom break or chance to get a sandwich other than to step off the floor," Bosma said. "There are numerous reasons why a member would need to leave their seat."

The Republican leader says some of those reasons include meeting with a constituent outside the House chamber, attending to business in the state Senate and meeting with other representatives to discuss an upcoming piece of legislation.

A race against time

Bosma contends Bauer does not give members long enough to cast their votes, which may encourage another representative to vote for them.

"There needs to be enough time for a person to return to their seat and under the current leadership, that time frame has been very short," Bosma said.

The speaker disagrees.

Bauer said members who are in the House chamber and cannot make it back to their seat in time to press their voting button can give a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" signal to the Speaker, who will record a vote on their behalf. WTHR observed that happen on nearly every vote.

We also noticed lawmakers give hand signals to other House members, who then cast a vote on their behalf.

"It's not a high crime," Bauer said of the practice.

But voting for someone who is not on the floor of the House is highly discouraged, according to the Speaker.

"They should be in their seats 99% of the time and it should be an aberration that they're out in the hallway or talking to a constituent," he said. "The people's business needs to be done and they need to be here for it."

Even when lawmakers are present on the House floor, WTHR found at times they are unable to cast their vote before another lawmaker does it for them.

13 Investigates watched Rep. Vernon Smith (D-Gary) vote five times for Rep. Sheila Klinker (D-Lafayette), and on four of those occasions, Klinker was walking toward her voting machine (and just a few steps away) when Smith voted for her.

Klinker told WTHR she doesn't give anyone permission to cast her vote and reminds fellow representatives not to vote on her behalf.

"We're not supposed to be doing that," Klinker said. "When I see it, I tell them not to."

But while 13 Investigates observed Smith vote for Klinker, we also noticed Klinker vote for Smith.

Smith declined to comment for this report, telling investigative reporter Bob Segall "I'm not going to talk to you."

"Won't do it again"

Other House members did agree to talk with WTHR.

Goodin said he didn't realize he was breaking a rule by voting for another member.

"If it's a rule, then clearly I broke the rules and I'll apologize to anyone I need to apologize to," he said. "The rules need to be followed and I can assure you, I won't do it again."

Following WTHR's investigation, House and party leaders have promised a more proactive approach in enforcing the rules.

"We'll just strengthen our resolve in that matter," Bauer said. "Every now and then there comes a point where you have to reprimand someone. That's happened in the past and maybe it's going to happen much more in the future."

In the Indiana Senate, 13 Investigates did not see any double voting at all.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This has been going on for years and years. I saw another news story about it last year and they said the same thing: "Oh, it'll stop now, we promise!" Uh huh.

The worst part is that the members have the ability to stop it themselves. Their voting boxes each have a key lock, but they all leave their keys in them whenever they step away. When a vote comes up, it's literally a mad scramble for other congressmen to slap as many buttons as they can before their opposition slaps it. It's filthy, it's disgusting, and I don't know why it's allowed at all. If you or I were to try that in a voting booth, we'd spend the next 1-5 years in prison.

citizenvain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So... how much longer do we the citizens put up with these people? And why isn't this considered a criminal act? Doesn't matter who you vote for, we are all servants to our masters regardless.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    That is a load of BS!! This is a bright shiny example of how political games go from the bottom all the way to the top. If the representatives don't show then their vote (or lack there of) should reflect it. People would see that they don't even care to show up to vote and their a** would be voted out in the next election. THANK YOU WTHR! I don't even care if it is against the rules or not, it speaks volumes...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    House Rules - WTHR | Indianapolis

...Asked if he would continue to vote for others, Kersey replied "Not now. You've got your cameras all over the place. But you have to realize, it's something that has not been enforced."

So if we aren't watching, yes, you will. We shouldn't have to enforce it, it's in place as a House rule and you're supposed to be adults and oh yeah, LAWMAKERS! If we cannot trust the lawmakers to be honest, perhaps we should "trust" them with being removed from office.

Bauer claims to be against it, but does nothing to sanction those members.

"Oh yeah, it's wrong. <wink wink nudge nudge> They're not allowed to do that."

Throw the bums out.

Blessings,
    Bill

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    This sounds SO wrong. I guess I'm not surprised, though I am deeply disturbed to hear about it. Thanks for posting.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    "I don't see it all the time because I'm focused on who wants to speak next and actually what the amendment is and whether members are following other rules like saying bad things about somebody in the [microphone] that they're not supposed to."

Heaven forbid someone say something "bad" about someone else (sticks and stones, remember, Mr Speaker?) but running around slapping everyone elses voting pads is acceptable? Double and triple voting is overlooked?

I think I know of a good place for a biometric lock, and it isn't on a handgun. Let's key all the voting pads to the Rep assigned to the seat.

Cotton-picking CROOKS.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    So if we aren't watching, yes, you will. We shouldn't have to enforce it, it's in place as a House rule and you're supposed to be adults and oh yeah, LAWMAKERS! If we cannot trust the lawmakers to be honest, perhaps we should "trust" them with being removed from office.

Bauer claims to be against it, but does nothing to sanction those members.

"Oh yeah, it's wrong. <wink wink nudge nudge> They're not allowed to do that."

Throw the bums out.

Blessings,
    Bill

The irony is: if one side does it--and rules against it are not enforced--then the other side has to do it or just hand all votes over to the side that does it.

Like all rules against cheating--if they are not strictly enforced--then very soon anyone who wants to have any chance of winning has to cheat as well. Now, I can afford to lose an autocross or a judo match (my two main competitive hobbies) because an opponent was cheating and I chose to remain honest, but votes in the State House? The consequences of losing because the other guy was cheating and you chose to remain "honest" are much higher.

If the stakes are high enough, even the possibility that the other side might be cheating can be a strong incentive to "cheat" in return.

This, IMO, is one of the reasons why government should be kept small, with very restricted powers and limited responsibilities. Small, limited government tends to lower the stakes, reducing the incentive for cheating. With government grown out of control like we have, I'm not sure that there's any way to eliminate, or even seriously reduce, cheating. The stakes are just too high. All too often neither side feels they can afford to lose, at least not consistently. Win some, lose some, is one thing but since neither side can be sure the other side isn't cheating, they could be looking at losing everything if they don't cheat as well.

Not really saying this to justify cheating--I don't buy into "to understand all is to forgive all"--but I don't really have any idea how to "fix" it other than throwing the entire government out and starting over. And even then, I'm not sure the results would be any better. History doesn't show us any examples of a nation being well governed for long. I'm not sure that there is a solution.

Last edited:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Heaven forbid someone say something "bad" about someone else (sticks and stones, remember, Mr Speaker?) but running around slapping everyone elses voting pads is acceptable? Double and triple voting is overlooked?

I think I know of a good place for a biometric lock, and it isn't on a handgun. Let's key all the voting pads to the Rep assigned to the seat.

Cotton-picking CROOKS.

I've got a better idea. Cheaper too. Let's just chain them to the seats for the duration of the session, with chains only long enough that they can reach their own voting pad and no one else's.

<hyperbole on>Oh, and we can also use a couple of additions to make sure they actually read and understand the legislation they are voting on. Make their seats nice, high stools. Have a noose around their necks. After each vote, they get a quiz on the content of the legislation. If they fail the quiz pull the stool away.<hyperbole off>

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I figure even the ones with half a brain get corrupted to some extent. There is just too much money,favors and idealism floating around to keep these representatives honest. It is like the Brady bill. Sarah Brady truly believes gun control is the answer to violent crime. The idealists believe so completely that there is no debate for them and their position must be won at all costs. So that IMO is a major reason why people would get slap happy with the voting buttons. It is just so important that they must win no matter the cost.

Very few voters will put up with an elected official that is going to vote for programs or laws that are good for the other guy, town or cause. I hear all the time "what is in it for me?" or my constituents. If that law or rule makes more sense than his agendas he needs incentive to justify his vote.
    The person that runs on the platform of "justice for all" is never going to win.
    We vote with our hearts and minds and elect people who support our "cause".
    Until we find a better way there will always be this corruption.
    It makes me ill that this voting BS occurs and nothing is done about it. I like the chain and noose idea. Maybe some public flogging might work as well. Or basic humiliation in a public forum. My dog has a training collar that might work as well for the worst of these crooked politicians. might have to up the voltage and amps a tad more. It would only take one charred body per session and it would stop.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Most of those politicians lied to us to get elected................so why should we be stunned by the fact that they get caught cheating. Those elected officials who are supposed to be looking out for our best interests are only concerned with their own agendas. But there again....what's new?!?!??

Top Bottom